• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that's ridiculous.

Michael is thinking about retiring at 29 which is equally odd, but then again he has other goals than football in mind I believe, with regards to PNG and his foundation etc. But still, he has more years left in him if he really wants to play on.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have a feeling that Jade was keen to play on, and perhaps got a word that his contract wasn't going to be renewed and got out with his dignity. His knees have been dodgy for a while, and we all know about his trouble with inconsistent form.

pasag

RTDAS
Heated discussion last night about the merits of cutting down the finals to the top six instead of the top eight.

Although this year would be proof against it, I still think the finals should feature the best teams as opposed to just the better half. And 7th and 8th always suck so I reckon we should get rid of em.

Thoughts.

ash chaulk

International Captain
i think it should be increased to 10

anythink can happen when it comes to finals

it could also make the worst teams try and not play for draft pics

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
pasag said:
Heated discussion last night about the merits of cutting down the finals to the top six instead of the top eight.

Although this year would be proof against it, I still think the finals should feature the best teams as opposed to just the better half. And 7th and 8th always suck so I reckon we should get rid of em.

Thoughts.
If they cut it down it should be a final 5 - that is generally regarded as the best system and gives a much bigger advantage to teams finishing up as minor premier. Right now the top 2 positions are of equal value and even 3rd and 4th if Victorian, Perth or Adelaide teams meet each other in the first week.

I think this season is a good reason to introduce it to be honest. There have only been the two standout sides in West Coast and Adelaide and then a heap of also rans. A final 5 at this point in time would be WC, Adelaide, Melbourne, Fremantle and Sydney which looks a pretty fair reflection on the season to me.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
ash chaulk said:
Since they changed from the McIntyre system only one team that has finished 7th or 8th has even made it to the preliminary final (Hawthorn 2001 when Port choked up at home). No team has won the premiership from outside the top 4 since the new system was introduced.

It is however a fairly pointless argument as the AFL will not change the current system as it means less matches and thus less revenue for the coffers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
ash chaulk said:
i think it should be increased to 10

it could also make the worst teams try and not play for draft pics
I agree with Great Birtannia, but in a weird way, ash chaulk's suggestion has some merits... :blink:

In the end, however, I think there's too much revenue to be created from a Final 8 for there ever to be a reduction in the amount of sides playing finals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like the top 8 system at the moment. I understand the arguments about cutting it down, but honestly if the Doggies had made the top 8 last year, they would have caused some real damage. As has already been said, anything can happen in finals and whilst dominating throughout the season should be rewarded (and is IMO, its just that if you're Victorian it ain't that big a reward), if you can't handle the pressure in September despite dominating that's your fault. And if a team like Adelaide in 98, or Hawthorn in 2001 can go very far, and in Adelaide's case, win the whole damn thing from a low position, all the better. Makes things more unpredictable.

This year is different though IMO. Every team could cause damage in the finals. Different to previous years.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
ROUND 21

Bulldogs v St Kilda
Geelong v Melbourne
Hawthorn v Kangaroos
Richmond v Essendon
Sydney v Brisbane Lions
Port v Adelaide
Collingwood v Carlton
West Coast v Fremantle.... omygod, Im that excited I cant speak, MASSIVE!

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Bulldogs v St Kilda
Geelong v Melbourne
Hawthorn v Kangaroos
Richmond v Essendon
Sydney v Brisbane Lions
Port v Adelaide
Collingwood v Carlton
West Coast v Fremantle - I have no idea

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!