• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameeel

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
I would rate Maguire above all of them, maybe equal with Clement and Rutten.
If you're talking purely defensive skill, then Maguire is nowhere near some of the players I mentioned earlier. Where Maguire excels is in rebounding from half-back (where he is amongst the best). On defensive skill, Maguire is not that crash-hot, and so he isn't that good a defender.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cameeel said:
I'm not saying that he isn't talented, if he gets on an injury-free run he has the potential to be in the top 10 players for the competition.
My point is that you can't rank him amongst the top echelon players in the league based on a rising star award in 2001. Since his debut, he's only played 73 games, and until he strings together a run of games and is consistently excellent in those games, he can't be ranked in the top tier of AFL players.
??

You don't say.

How can a player be good if he doesn't play? That's the issue, if he DID play he would be in the top 10, so It's pretty obvious he's a big loss.

benchmark00

cameeel said:
If you're talking purely defensive skill, then Maguire is nowhere near some of the players I mentioned earlier. Where Maguire excels is in rebounding from half-back (where he is amongst the best). On defensive skill, Maguire is not that crash-hot, and so he isn't that good a defender.
How many St Kilda matches have you seen this year? He would have been in their top 3 in the b&f.

Last edited:

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Maguire is no where near the player James Clement is. All the players mentioned, plus maybe Luke McPharlin, Cornes and Whitnall are still infront of Maguire IMO.

Fremantle are awesome. Love how they have been playing and Connolly has all the players in their right positions.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Buddhmaster said:
Maguire is no where near the player James Clement is. All the players mentioned, plus maybe Luke McPharlin, Cornes and Whitnall are still infront of Maguire IMO.

Fremantle are awesome. Love how they have been playing and Connolly has all the players in their right positions.
For starters, Cornes and Whitnall don't actually play on an opponent.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
For starters, Cornes and Whitnall don't actually play on an opponent.
Fair enough.

On Hamill, he was a good player 3-4 years ago, but he's nowhere good enough to be mentioned as a reason the Saints are the 2nd best team.

benchmark00

Buddhmaster said:
Fair enough.

On Hamill, he was a good player 3-4 years ago, but he's nowhere good enough to be mentioned as a reason the Saints are the 2nd best team.
There's no question Hamill alone won't do too much, I think it's just a matter of him stretching the opposition's defence thin. How many teams have four tall backman? We can only wait and see.

pasag

RTDAS
Hamill should have stayed with Carlton. Not only did Elliot lose all our money and draft picks, but through sheer arrogance we lost one of our greatest players.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
benchmark00 said:
There's no question Hamill alone won't do too much, I think it's just a matter of him stretching the opposition's defence thin. How many teams have four tall backman? We can only wait and see.
Hamill is not a tall forward he is 184cm which is par for the course for an AFL midfielder these days.

If he had put his head over the footy and played the ball instead of over running it to snipe Steve Johnson he wouldn't be injured.

cameeel

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
??

You don't say.

How can a player be good if he doesn't play? That's the issue, if he DID play he would be in the top 10, so It's pretty obvious he's a big loss.
That's the whole problem, you can't go ranking players in the top 10 in the league based on an award from 2001 and a white-hot form streak in the middle of last year.

cameeel

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
How many St Kilda matches have you seen this year? He would have been in their top 3 in the b&f.
He might win the St. Kilda best and fairest for all I care. My view is that he can't be ranked in the top 5 backmen in the league, not that he isn't one of the best at St. Kilda

ash chaulk

International Captain
ok cmon anyone here scared of freos awesome form..... like serious when they lose in the first week of the finals they will have the biggest sad always gotta be poor poor freo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Benchy you overrate Maguire unbelievably. I mean he's a good player, but Jeez. Firstly he's not in the top echelon of St Kilda players anyway, as there is 5 or so players more important to them then Maguire.

I like Maguire, but I can think of 6-7 key position defenders better than him, and if we're talking running defenders, I'd rather Cornes and Whitnall. They play off their man, but so does Maguire, he's just a little more accountable when he wants to be (vs. Sydney for example).

How you could rate Maguire equal to or ahead of Dustin Fletcher, Rutten and Scarlett when it comes to purely holding a man down? And in terms of being accountable + playing off his man and providing run, I'd rather Clement or Whitnall.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Add McLeod and McKernan to the list of players who have won MVP awards but not Brownlows. And no Woewodin...
Yeah, McLeod is one of my favourite players ever and McKernan was the best player in 1996 (as I said in my post :p), however in those players' years (2001 and 1996 respectively), the winners of the Brownlow were still deserving (i.e Voss and Hird had equal votes to McKernan in 1996 but was suspended, and Aker just beat McLeod in 2001 by a few votes, and both are absolute guns)... so the Brownlow wasn't necessarily a disgrace in those years. At least McKernan and McLeod came close to winning the medal, whereas how many times did Carey go in favourite yet never win the damn thing? Its ridiculous.

I hope McLeod can win a Brownlow one day, I'm not sure if in his current role he can but I reckon he's still young enough to win it.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
At his peak in 1996 Mckernan was the best player I have ever seen. He was awesome to watch, the way he would single-handedly control a game was majestic. Its one of footballs moderen tradgedies that he missed out on that brownlow. I remeber the front page of the paper the next day, with him watching it at home with this really melancholy look on his face. Sad.

On another note Jono, your boys are going to get smashed today.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pasag said:
On another note Jono, your boys are going to get smashed today.
Oh it's on!

I was supposed to go but my mates pulled out, and I couldn't be screwed going by myself. Plus, its at the Dome :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Spreaking of Brownlow medallists, did anyone see Simon Black's 2 goals in 30 seconds there, both from 50 on the run?!

Go Lions! If Only Aker, Brown, Lappin and Charman were playing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.