• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah actually why don't they just make Pucovski a bigger helmet? Galaxy brain idea I know, but seriously why not?
Not necessarily bigger, but better. We known brain injury in general is related to acceleration or jerk, and concussions in particular are related to rotation. There's grounds to work off to reduce both, and some helmets for other uses already have anti-rotation devices (though they're not as widespread as you might expect and probably won't be until the patents expire). Cricket helmets haven't seen major innovation since the normal design emerged in the eighties.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it really necessary to play the hook, in any batting position? I mean, it will help your scoring rate and potentially stop you being tied down, but it's risky for the best players and I didn't think scoring rate was a priority for non-BazBall openers.

The main thing he needs to learn is to get out of the way (and I'm still convinced you could probably make a better helmet than the current designs).
Yeah, the shot is very instinctive though. I don’t know why, maybe because it has an element of self preservation in it. Guys have given it away though, Waugh most famously.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the Pucovski shot was dreadful

Does my head in the number of modern players who are hit flush

Had to keep your eyes on the ball when batting without a helmet as being hit in the face hurt

Qlder

International Debutant
Now this T20 nonsense is over, next 2 Shield rounds start 3rd and 16th Feb. Good time to impress for NZ tour with 1st Test starting 29th Feb.

Eyes still on an opener and a spare middle order bat (ODI squad vs WI will miss 1st shield game, so that's Hardie and Green out)

Qlder

International Debutant
McDonald said the top 6 will remain the same for NZ Tests so assume Renshaw will stay the spare bat in the squad. But what if Renshaw misses out in next 2 shield games and Oliver Davies goes big. Could he be a bolter for the tour?

Davies played the last 3 shield games and made 129, 67 & 62, 81* & 4 giving him 343 runs @ 85.75 this year (5 FC games, averaging 53.37 overall)

I know it's too early but he's unlikely to play anyway, just gain some valuable experience (are there any A games before India next summer?)

Note: I think Hardie is next but not really needed when Green and Marsh are already in top 6

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's conceivable for Green, Hardie and Marsh to all be in the top 6 playing as batsmen but that just seems weird

Spark

Global Moderator
If he's unlikely to play then I'd rather he just play Shield tbh. He could build a ripping case for selection come November if he keeps up his form a la a young David Warner.

Chubb

International Regular

This is a welcome step and good news for all community sport. I got concussion during a hockey match in 2021 and it wasn’t picked up straight away. It was nobody’s fault, I just carried on playing after a short break, felt groggy the next day and went to hospital – but it took me about a fortnight to feel “normal” again. Particularly in the lower grades this kind of thing isn’t handled very well so I hope the new guidelines will make a difference.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I see Pukovski will play for Leicestershire in their first 5 County Championship matches.

Let's hope the curse of getting one on the helmet doesn't happen thee.