• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Laurie Sawle played zero tests for Australia and was a selector for over a decade. Jamie Cox never played a test. Jim Higgs and Trevor Hohns played a handful of matches, as did Andy Bichel and John Benaud.

I don't think it has anything to do with how many matches the incumbents played for Australia tbh.

TheJediBrah

You could look at that from an alternative view and infer that it means selectors & coach are being hired based on merit for once rather than because they played a lot of Test matches, ie. it's a good thing

(not my opinion, just being contrarian)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
100% correct. However, should he not get chosen to be Warner's replacement, then he may have a slight reason to feel hard done by considering the numbers he's putting up.

I'm not even a Bancroft fan, I just think scoring lots of runs should actually mean something (I'm still dirty Dan Hughes hasn't got an ODI look in despite being clearly the best bat in the domestic format for years now)
Ehh, fair call. You are right to say that Bancroft has made a strong case for himself domestically. Aside from that poor county stint, he has been in the runs more often than not at FC level over the last couple of years

I don't for a second expect him to fair any differently to his prevoius international experiences if he is picked. But it is true that he has a weight of domestic runs behind him

Also, apparently Nic Maddinson still exists. In line for a return in the BBL I hear

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Laurie Sawle played zero tests for Australia and was a selector for over a decade. Jamie Cox never played a test. Jim Higgs and Trevor Hohns played a handful of matches, as did Andy Bichel and John Benaud.

I don't think it has anything to do with how many matches the incumbents played for Australia tbh.
This is true. However, those you name had at least one of those luminaries mentioned in the article for input. Sawle also had 18 years experience as a State selector for WA.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
One of our top three or so ever Test cricketers having input into selection ended up giving us Michael Beer
Have a look at the history behind that. Shane Warne had just retired (and suggested Beer might be a good choice). Xavier Doherty had been tried and failed and other spin options were thin on the ground.

TheJediBrah

Have a look at the history behind that. Shane Warne had just retired (and suggested Beer might be a good choice). Xavier Doherty had been tried and failed and other spin options were thin on the ground.
Steve O'Keefe was the best spinner in Australia by a distance for nearly 10 years. Averaged low-20s in the Shield when every other spinner averaged 40+, and he was the last one tried. Even then was barely given a run.

Now he was a drunk with personality issues but that's neither here nor there

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Palachook sold the Olympics on the basis of its affordability

Typical pollie now intent upon hosing billions up against the wall with Queensland cricket fans being some of the biggest losers

AFL has also been shafted with both sports facing relocation for up to 5 years plus a massive bill if the government gets its way

QCA can’t afford it so looks like no tests for Brisbane for years

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah this is a mess. Surely they can't push through with this plan, it would be a complete disaster for QC. I see Khawaja has already called it out.

Qlder

International Debutant
Covid Dictator strikes again, whatever she says goes no matter what.

I thought it was great the Brisbane Mayor resigned from the Olympic Panel because he said it was a "dysfunctional farce" with all decisions being made behind closed doors by her. He refused to make Qld Rate payers foot the bill for moving AFL and Cricket from Gabba to RNA stadium

Last edited:

social

Covid Dictator strikes again, whatever she says goes no matter what.

I thought it was great the Brisbane Mayor resigned from the Olympic Panel because he said it was a farce with all decisions being made behind closed doors by her. He refused to make Qld Tax payers foot the bill for moving AFL and Cricket from Gabba
Apparently asking QC to pay $40 million to upgrade the Showgrounds for 5 years of use

Not only doesn’t QC have the money but it would be a money pit anyway

social

Yeah this is a mess. Surely they can't push through with this plan, it would be a complete disaster for QC. I see Khawaja has already called it out.
Problem is that they’re tearing down the Gabba so there’s nowhere to play tests in SEQ unless they upgrade AB or RNA or play them at Carrara

Lions are in same boat

Qlder

International Debutant
Apparently asking QC to pay $40 million to upgrade the Showgrounds for 5 years of use

Not only doesn’t QC have the money but it would be a money pit anyway
Yeah apparently $91 million cost has to be split between AFL, QC and Brisbane Council (Rate Payers). Brisbane Mayor is saying no to their part so QC would need to pay even more to go ahead

Starfighter

Problem is that they’re tearing down the Gabba so there’s nowhere to play tests in SEQ unless they upgrade AB or RNA or play them at Carrara

Lions are in same boat
Playing at Carrara sounds like by far the most cost effective approach. I don't think QC has the money.

Of course a worry is at the end of all this the Gabba ends up with a drop in pitch.

social

Yeah apparently $91 million cost has to be split between AFL, QC and Brisbane Council (Rate Payers). Brisbane Mayor is saying no to their part so QC would need to pay even more to go ahead
Let’s assume that the parties agree to foot the bill

It’s a facility that will only be used by cricket & AFL for a couple of years anyway and other major events will be held at the Gabba as well so the thing is likely to be a white elephant

Makes no sense

Spark

Global Moderator
Playing at Carrara sounds like by far the most cost effective approach. I don't think QC has the money.

Of course a worry is at the end of all this the Gabba ends up with a drop in pitch.
Worry? I would assume this as the base case. There's absolutely no way this redevelopment happens without the AFL getting a massive say in the future of the stadium after launch as such an expensive project has to justify itself long term and that virtually guarantees a drop-in pitch IMO.

Qlder

International Debutant
At least this Gabba talk has got me planning to go to the West Indies Test on Australia Day. Likely the last time I'll see it

Starfighter

Worry? I would assume this as the base case. There's absolutely no way this redevelopment happens without the AFL getting a massive say in the future of the stadium after launch as such an expensive project has to justify itself long term and that virtually guarantees a drop-in pitch IMO.
When it was first officially announced it said the natural pitch was staying