• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

Shoaib

Banned
Underrated

Rahul Dravid
J Srinath
Mohammad Azharuddin
Ajay Jadeja
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Shahid Afridi
Damien Martyn
Chris Cairns
Saleem Malik
Shoaib Mohammad
Hansie Cronje
Jonty Rhodes
Aravinda De Siva
Sanath Jayasuriya
Nathan Astle
C Ambrose
Mark Butcher
Darren Gough
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
overrated
Ian Bishop
Shane Bond
Dion Nash
Carl Hooper
Mohammad Kaif
Chris Gayle
Mark Waugh
Shane Warne
Sachin Tendulkar
Mohammad Yousaf (formerly Yousaf Youhana)
Abdul Razzaq
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Parthiv Patel
Herschelle Gibbs
i fail to see how these men are over-rated....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Underrated

Rahul Dravid
:happy:
Mohammad Azharuddin
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Shahid Afridi
Damien Martyn
Chris Cairns
Jonty Rhodes
Aravinda De Siva
Sanath Jayasuriya
Nathan Astle
C Ambrose
these men here aren't underated, the rating too high or too low its just right. But in the cases of Akhtar & Afridi they are definately overrated.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I fail to see how Afridi and Ambrose are underrated, while Chanderpaul and Warne are overrated.

Afridi is a fairly average player that, at least among Pakistani fans, is practically worshipped as a world class batsman. Ambrose was a great, great bowler, and is recognised as such by just about everytone. Chanderpaul is a terminally underrated player who has been a consistent performer for years in all conditions and against all teams including Australia, and is nevertheless ignored when it comes to discussing the best batsmen around consistently. Warne is an all-time great and one of the best bowlers of his own era and of all time, and is rated that way.

Overated

Ajay Jadeja ---talented player but wasted his talent in many innings, din't take cricket seriously.
Ganguly.....nothing need to be said about him.
Ajit Agarkar... Shouldn't be in the team.
Harbhajan.... Still good but not great in any sense.
Rana Naveed...Utter crap
Shoaib Akhter... He's now a spent force, i still have respect for old Akhtar, but on present form he should just hang the boots.
Saleem Malik... A great talent and one of the better batsmen that Pak produced, but he wasted his talent coz of greed.
Shahid Afridi.... swing and hit , swing and miss.. thats how he plays cricket.
Danish Kaneria... Whenever he takes 10 wkts haul, he concedes 150 + runs.He's talent but is way overrated.
Partiv Patel.... He's mediocre at best.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Rana Naveed...Utter crap
well this same ``utter crap`` bowler destroyed your batting in your own back yard earlier this year, on his way to a M.O.S performace in 7 ODI's though. :p

aussie said:
well this same ``utter crap`` bowler destroyed your batting in your own back yard earlier this year, on his way to a M.O.S performace in 7 ODI's though. :p
I was talking about test matches!!

Also one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I have also mentioned Indian cricketers as crap though they have some match winning performance (Agarkar against England).

The purpose of my post wasn't to degrade a semi-god Pakistani bowler, i was only pointing out some cricketers from both Pakistan and India that happen to be vastly overrated when infact they have been doing very little to suggest that they are anywhere as good as they are considered.

Blaze

Banned
There is really no point debating these kind of things because everyone has their own opinion about who, in their eyes is over and under rated, but for someone to say Dion Nash was overrated is pretty strange IMO.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
There is really no point debating these kind of things because everyone has their own opinion about who, in their eyes is over and under rated, but for someone to say Dion Nash was overrated is pretty strange IMO.
I reckon !!!! Dion Nash along with Andrew Jones and a few others are amoungst the most UNDER-rated NZ players ever

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Kaneria is IMO overrated by some people, who seem to think he will become the best spinner ever, but IMO he will become a very very good one, who, unless someone else comes along, will be the best legspinner in the World once Warne is gone.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Kaneria is IMO overrated by some people, who seem to think he will become the best spinner ever, but IMO he will become a very very good one, who, unless someone else comes along, will be the best legspinner in the World once Warne is gone.
Better than Kumble & MacGill?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yes, because IMO he'll be more effective on unhelpful pitches than Kumble, and he's alot more accurate than MacGill so also has the ability to be used as a defensive spinner if need be.

Shoaib

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Warne is an all-time great and one of the best bowlers of his own era and of all time, and is rated that way.
Warne is a great spinner but he is nowhere near Muttiah Muralitharan.Warne is practically useless when McGrath is not playing while Murali alone has to do the job for his team.IMO,Muralitharan is the best spinner of all time & Warne can never touch his greatness if he plays cricket even for next 50 years.U may call Warne the best leg spinner of all time,but overall no one can claim to be better than legendary Muttiah Muralitharan.

Pratyush said:
Except it is a blatant lie.
NO its not.

Danish has been criticized by none other than Pak cricket pundits for conceeding too many runs in going for wkts, infact such questions have openly been asked at his interview.

Danish is good but he's way overrated.