• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer
I'd find it very hard to argue they did nothing wrong. The criticism from outside India, certainly one I've long held, is that often when they get conditions that don't suit them or they're largely unaccustomed to, like one that's swinging and decking around, they wilt. They have no desire to work harder to negate that.

Sharma, as the captain, played a very poor shot. Totally ill advised and unbecoming of the early movement. That started the rot. Sarfaraz' was inpatient and even worse. At least Jaiswal dug in and was prepared to be 10 off 40. I imagine their ratio of balls left was much lower than ours.

I guess you can forgive Pant but I dunno where the logic in trying to reverse pull Henry exists. That suggests you didn't have a plan, so much as a hit and hope
This goes for all teams.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Not necessarily. By wilt, I actually mean they don't try to adapt and fight through the hardest stuff.
Been better of late. Batting was pretty solid in England 2021-22 and competed well on spiteful tracks on the last 2 SA series. The swinging/seaming ball is still a problem though, not so much pace and bounce.

Silver Silva

International Regular
If you are all out for 46, you have lost the match; there is no way you can cut it. (Would be glad to be proven wrong tho)

Unless rain comes to the rescue.
Yes there is a strong possibility that rain can save India, would just need to bat well in the intervals where there is no rain.

There is one instance of a side getting bowled out for an even lower score and not losing the match. Australia were bowled for 36 vs England in 1902 during a test match in Birmingham but were able to draw the match due to bad weather halting the play.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Being in the position we are currently in this match...I am hugely excited to watch Phillips bat, more than ever before in his test career. This could be carnage for the indian bowlers if luck doesn't go their way.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I guess you can forgive Pant but I dunno where the logic in trying to reverse pull Henry exists. That suggests you didn't have a plan, so much as a hit and hope
Why did a play a dumb low-percentage shot [straight bat block] to get out to Matt Henry when I could've earned an easy single with another shot [reverse pullsweep]?

/PantThoughts

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Appalling shots from Rohit and Sarfraz. Should never have been 13/3, after surviving early spell. Then Jaiswal threw it away and everything started finding the edge.This top order played like it was an ODI game and that they weren't allowed to waste more balls. No fight shown to see off the new ball. Bizarre. Just trying to bash the ball.

This is where guy like Pujara would have been handy. Current lineup is full of guys wanting to needlessly attack and play lofted limited overs shots. Getting out like that is criminal in Test Cricket. There is literally no one in the side with a solid technique or strong will to play a long slow innings. This spells bad news for tours of Aus & Eng. You can't usually attack yourself out of difficult situations in difficult conditions. Rohit and Gambhir are equally responsible. Rather than working on their technical flaws and mental side of things, the messaging has been that they want to score 400/500 in a day and play aggressive cricket. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
180/3 is pretty good, but it's frustrating that Conway was dismissed in such an unnecessary fashion. Reckon NZ need a 300+ lead to at least make the game safe - the ball was turning sharply on day one, so wouldn't bank on NZ being able to chase anything over 150 in the 4th innings. So still a lot of work to do for the middle-lower order tomorrow.

But knowing NZ's luck, the rain will probably roll-in with India 20/2 and 300 runs behind, and this game will go down alongside the 1974 Sydney test as one of the great what-if's of NZ cricket history.

Slifer

International Captain
This is what happens when Pant (and he still got a few), Jadeja and Ashwin don’t get runs. It’s been on the cards for ages, maybe not quite so bad as this, but it’s just been very well masked.
Our batting is awful.
I see what you mean. I still wouldn't count out India though to come back hard in the 2nd innings. I can't see them capitulating like that twice (especially at home)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
180/3 is pretty good, but it's frustrating that Conway was dismissed in such an unnecessary fashion. Reckon NZ need a 300+ lead to at least make the game safe - the ball was turning sharply on day one, so wouldn't bank on NZ being able to chase anything over 150 in the 4th innings. So still a lot of work to do for the middle-lower order tomorrow.

But knowing NZ's luck, the rain will probably roll-in with India 20/2 and 300 runs behind, and this game will go down alongside the 1974 Sydney test as one of the great what-if's of NZ cricket history.
Nah Henry and O'Rourke are gonna roll em for 25 in the 2nd, thus erasing our legacy forever

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, the same thing almost happened to a lesser extent in the 1st test against Bangladesh before the Ravis saved the day, but the conditions weren't as favourable for seamers and the bowling quality wasn't as high.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Well, the good news is you only need to make 350 to have that size lead. What a crazy day's cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Very poor performance. But this is always on the cards with this Team in swinging conditions. I would blame Rohit for electing to bat in these conditions considering our performance vs swing in last decade .
It wasn't even swing that did them in IMO. There was some swing but nothing they seemed totally uncomfortable with.

What really and very obviously surprised them was the extra bounce and seam movement. That clearly spooked them, you can actually see that in Pan't's dismissal where he's so tentative trying to get forward to a pretty unremarkable good length ball which doesn't do very much because he's worried about the extra bounce. Ends up pushing with his hands with a stiff front leg and edges it.