• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As an India fan, I don't want them to "claw back" into this, as if that's even a remote possibility here. Sometimes decisions and then the application or lack thereof to back up those decisions is so egregious and inexcusable that it deserves nothing less than a humiliating defeat, if only to preserve the moral order of the universe. So yes, **** Team India for now, hope they learn something from this self-inflicted mess.
They didn't do anything wrong. They went with a plan which didn't work. All plans don't work. There is no need to ditch the team just because of one innings while they have been awesome for so many years now at home.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
This is what happens when Pant (and he still got a few), Jadeja and Ashwin don’t get runs. It’s been on the cards for ages, maybe not quite so bad as this, but it’s just been very well masked.
Our batting is awful.
Fair comment on Jadeja and Ashwin, but Pant is definitely there to score runs. He isn't a keeper who can bat, he is a batsman foremost. And also while he scored 20, it wasn't like he was better than the others, at all. All of them sucked today hard.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Fair comment on Jadeja and Ashwin, but Pant is definitely there to score runs. He isn't a keeper who can bat, he is a batsman foremost. And also while he scored 20, it wasn't like he was better than the others, at all. All of them sucked today hard.
Pant is there as a batsman first, but he’s not going to get you 150-200+ scores. Everyone knows exactly what his role is. Point is these guys are 6, 7, 8, but asked to bat 5, 6, 7 (and often times higher - Pant at 4, Jadeja at 5). The Indian team shouldn’t be relying on these guys for runs in every test.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
They didn't do anything wrong. They went with a plan which didn't work. All plans don't work. There is no need to ditch the team just because of one innings while they have been awesome for so many years now at home.
I kinda disagree with the highlighted bit. You can argue there is nothing inherently wrong with going in to bat first in overcast conditions, on a pitch that has collected moisture under covers IF you have technically sound batsmen who are in form and don't mind conceding the time till lunch and a bit after exclusively to the bowlers. We don't have all of those attributes co-existing in this side at the moment though, so it's hard to call the decision to bat first anything other than a tactical blunder.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Pant is there as a batsman first, but he’s not going to get you 150-200+ scores. Everyone knows exactly what his role is. Point is these guys are 6, 7, 8, but asked to bat 5, 6, 7 (and often times higher - Pant at 4, Jadeja at 5). The Indian team shouldn’t be relying on these guys for runs in every test.
I still kinda disagree. I see Pant as a proper Batsman and hence expect such an output from him. The way he bat is secondary, and I actually think him not slowing down and playing proper when needed is a very valid criticism.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I still kinda disagree. I see Pant as a proper Batsman and hence expect such an output from him. The way he bat is secondary, and I actually think him not slowing down and playing proper when needed is a very valid criticism.
Thing is, you can afford to have a wildcard like Pant in the side to break open the game, even in these conditions, but others around him absolutely have to drop anchor and play conventionally. Guys in the top order can't be getting out like Rohit and Sarfaraz did today.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, the number of unforced errors was shocking.

Jaiswal
Rohit
Sarfraz
Jadeja

4 of your top 7 getting out to balls which probably didn't deserve a wicket is no fun on a track where survival was everything at least for those first 3 hours.

Our age old problem against bounce resurfacing is also not good. Need far more A tours for these guys before they debut for us. We can even play 5 test A tours exclusively in Perth and Brisbane, for example.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Very poor performance. But this is always on the cards with this Team in swinging conditions. I would blame Rohit for electing to bat in these conditions considering our performance vs swing in last decade .

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Also glaring was Jaiswal's discomfort against the short stuff into his ribcage. He kept getting twisted around trying to ride the bounce. Put a short leg under his nose and Cummins will eat him up all series long...i.e. if he lasts all series. Not sure how side-on his stance is, but he might have to open up some more while facing seamers bowling from over the wicket.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Thing is, you can afford to have a wildcard like Pant in the side to break open the game, even in these conditions, but others around him absolutely have to drop anchor and play conventionally. Guys in the top order can't be getting out like Rohit and Sarfaraz did today.
I agree. But I will still say though, such a collapse can happen once in a blue moon; and if it does, even if you are the wild card; trying to reverse sweep a raging pacer when your scorecard reads 13/3 atleast deserves a kick in the bum.

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer
Was a perfect storm today tbh of perfect conditions, great bowling, great fielding.

Think with the weather forecast for next 3 days, India should be able to save this.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Matt Henry.

We were picking tim southee over matt fkn henry

Matt needs to file a lawsuit against nzc for all the game time (odi's, tests) he's missed because of tim southee throughout the last 10 years

Great to see our batting aka our weak link come out of this relatively unscathed. Positive stuff from conway his return to form is a massive boost.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I kinda disagree with the highlighted bit. You can argue there is nothing inherently wrong with going in to bat first in overcast conditions, on a pitch that has collected moisture under covers IF you have technically sound batsmen who are in form and don't mind conceding the time till lunch and a bit after exclusively to the bowlers. We don't have all of those attributes co-existing in this side at the moment though, so it's hard to call the decision to bat first anything other than a tactical blunder.
Agree completely with this, would still back India to do the job if Rohit had decided to bowl first with such a spin heavy attack. Just a costly error of judgement, he said as much in the press conference.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Main concern with O'Rourke of course is that we break him, especially being in the under 25 age bracket where fast bowlers' bodies are supposed to be more vulnerable. This is where I liked having Sears as backup in the squad as another quick option, so NZ don't feel O'Rourke must play every match if there are any minor niggles.

Pessimistic about Jamieson coming back unfortunately - if the man mountain Chris Tremlett comparison holds then injuries will continue to be a problem and even when he does play, pace and zip will be down. Hope he finds a way, of course.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd find it very hard to argue they did nothing wrong. The criticism from outside India, certainly one I've long held, is that often when they get conditions that don't suit them or they're largely unaccustomed to, like one that's swinging and decking around, they wilt. They have no desire to work harder to negate that.

Sharma, as the captain, played a very poor shot. Totally ill advised and unbecoming of the early movement. That started the rot. Sarfaraz' was inpatient and even worse. At least Jaiswal dug in and was prepared to be 10 off 40. I imagine their ratio of balls left was much lower than ours.

I guess you can forgive Pant but I dunno where the logic in trying to reverse pull Henry exists. That suggests you didn't have a plan, so much as a hit and hope