• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No David, the black kites don't count in the crowd figure. Though I do wonder why there are so many specifically around the ground for some of these matches.
Probably vultures waiting for the England bowlers to keel over in these conditions.

Reactions: FBU

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leach exposes the conundrum of this sort of pitch. He's keeping the runs down but not threatening when bowling flatter, but when he slows up he's too easy to attack, because there's no zip off the surface.

This is where you ask if the more varied spin and deceptive flight of a leggie like Rehan would be more useful, but you have to consider a wrist spinner's lesser accuracy which could mean a lot of freebies.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Leach exposes the conundrum of this sort of pitch. He's keeping the runs down but not threatening when bowling flatter, but when he slows up he's too easy to attack, because there's no zip off the surface.

This is where you ask if the more varied spin and deceptive flight of a leggie like Rehan would be more useful, but you have to consider a wrist spinner's lesser accuracy which could mean a lot of freebies.
I reckon Rehan's bowling has regressed since they picked him a couple of years ago.

Starfighter

That ploy nearly worked. Could be worth persisting with for a bit, though it's be better if it was nearer the start of Carse's spell.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nuts seam bowling side picked. I know we are short on choices in comparison to the last tour, but Woakes bowling overseas on a flatbed!
Maybe they wanted to pick 3 number 8 batters as there isn't a genuine number 7 amongst the bowlers. Not the greatest logic, I know, but I suspect that was part of their thinking.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Maybe they wanted to pick 3 number 8 batters as there isn't a genuine number 7 amongst the bowlers. Not the greatest logic, I know, but I suspect that was part of their thinking.
I can see your point but I find that strange even so. I think you have more than enough reason to exclude Woakes from overseas tests based on his lack of adaptability. Someone who is a regulation medium fast bowler is always likely to find the going tough out in South Asia. You've got to be able to either hit top of off on a regular basis or have reverse swing as a weapon. To be fair it isn't just him. I don't see the others being much able to do either.

Starfighter

Precisely the kind of dismissal I was talking about. Just gave it away when there's plenty more out there.

Silver Silva

International Regular
The greatest unwritten rule in cricket, one brings two ..

It's been that way for centuries, amazing how it continues to happen across all levels of cricket, anywhere in the world.

Starfighter

The greatest unwritten rule in cricket, one brings two ..

It's been that way for centuries, amazing how it continues to happen across all levels of cricket, anywhere in the world.
Funnily enough, Charles Davis looked at this and found it's the opposite. The larger a partnership, the larger the following partnership is likely to be. But people notice the exceptions more.