• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Absurdly Awesome Cricket Stats

Coronis

International Coach
He was A.C. Russell in scorecards during his career (and later - I have a book from the 50s which has references to A.C. Russell, H. Makepeace, E. Tyldesley, L.G. Berry and a few other sets of initials that you don't get in modern books. Though as I've seen pointed out, if you insist on going by their birth certificates for pre-war cricketers, why is Bob Willis not listed as R.G. Willis?)
I’m just going based on what I’ve seen them listed as. Wikipedia at least even says that Jack was erroneously listed with jncorrect initials on the scorecards. As for Willis, I know he was born Robert George but later changed to Robert George Dylan - unsure of when this change took place. I know Tyldesley was called George at home but always signed his name as Ernest - perhaps due to another George in the family or just another George he knew? Or simply preferring Ernest.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m just going based on what I’ve seen them listed as. Wikipedia at least even says that Jack was erroneously listed with jncorrect initials on the scorecards. As for Willis, I know he was born Robert George but later changed to Robert George Dylan - unsure of when this change took place. I know Tyldesley was called George at home but always signed his name as Ernest - perhaps due to another George in the family or just another George he knew? Or simply preferring Ernest.
He understood the importance of being Ernest

Ali TT

International Regular
Kamindu Mendis averages over 90 again having just passed 1000 test runs. Given how annoyingly gun he's been so far, yet still averages 8 runs less than the Don, shows once again how insane Bradman's record was.

However, Mendis has tied Bradman in reaching 1000 test runs in 13 innings. Only Herbert Sutcliffe and Everton Weekes did it faster (12 innings). Mendis's 8 tests is second behind Bradman's 7.

Generational stuff from Mendis - we're witnessing one of the ATG starts to a test career.

Coronis

International Coach
Kamindu Mendis averages over 90 again having just passed 1000 test runs. Given how annoyingly gun he's been so far, yet still averages 8 runs less than the Don, shows once again how insane Bradman's record was.

However, Mendis has tied Bradman in reaching 1000 test runs in 13 innings. Only Herbert Sutcliffe and Everton Weekes did it faster (12 innings). Mendis's 8 tests is second behind Bradman's 7.

Generational stuff from Mendis - we're witnessing one of the ATG starts to a test career.
The only other player to touch 100 after hitting 1000 runs was Neil Harvey.

9.5 tests 14 innings 1033 @ 103.33 6 tons 2 fifties

Unfortunately he fell below 100 in the very next innings and never recovered.

Coronis

International Coach
While it's fantastic that Kamindu Mendis got 1004 runs @ 91.27 in 13 innings, I'd like to point out that Don Bradman still has the record for most runs after 13 innings. That would be 1196 runs @ 99.67 😉
A pathetic 862 runs after 12 innings @ 78.36

Doesn’t even crack the top 5 in total runs.

Coronis

International Coach
5 players have scored 1000 runs at an average of 100+ at a single ground.

Bradman 17 innings 1671 @ 128.54 9 tons @ MCG
Chappell 11 innings 1006 @ 111.78 6 tons @ Gabba
Laxman 15 innings 1217 @ 110.54 5 tons @ Eden Gardens
Sobers 18 innings 1354 @ 104.15 5 tons @ Sabina Park
Clarke 13 innings 1030 @ 103.00 5 tons @ Gabba

Bradman narrowly misses out on this list at undoubtedly his favourite ground.

Bradman @ Leeds

4 matches 6 innings 963 @ 192.6 4 tons (2 triples and a 173*)

If Bradman played at Leeds, you were guaranteed to see him score a ton.

Coronis

International Coach
Only one bowler has managed to achieve a sub 20 average with at least 200 wickets, or a sub 20 average with at least 50 matches. This player did both.

Shaun Pollock
50 matches 88 innings 210 @ 19.86 11 5’fers

31 matches 126 @ 19.63 @ home
19 matches 84 @ 20.21 away

highest average vs an opponent

vs England 14 matches 53 wickets @ 23.33

in a country

in England 4 matches 18 @ 25.77

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Only one bowler has managed to achieve a sub 20 average with at least 200 wickets, or a sub 20 average with at least 50 matches. This player did both.

Shaun Pollock
50 matches 88 innings 210 @ 19.86 11 5’fers

31 matches 126 @ 19.63 @ home
19 matches 84 @ 20.21 away

highest average vs an opponent

vs England 14 matches 53 wickets @ 23.33

in a country

in England 4 matches 18 @ 25.77
How was he batting back then??

Slifer

International Captain
Isn't Root closing in the record for most runs in a calendar year or something like that?? And England have what, 5 tests left this year....

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Could happen, but I remember when Graeme Smith scored 621 in the first 2 Tests in 2003 and it was suggested that he'd break the series record: and he scored 93 runs across the last 3 Tests.