• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Thats too bad, Rachin deserved a century for his efforts. Credit to Sri Lanka for bouncing back after a mixed first 2 days, they never let NZ run away with it.

NZ should look back to Day 2, when the batting conditions were good and Sl’s spinners were yet to sort out their lengths. Kane/Latham/Rachin should have really dug in and built a big lead. Not easy batting last in the SC even with a 40-run lead.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good win for SL. Was a tug of war - no big swings in the match* but one where a good half session would get you (notionally) 30 runs ahead, or vice versa. And that adds up to SL winning by 60 odd runs.

NZ's have to think about batting for the in batsman (e.g Phillips on the morning of day 3), and the lack of penetration from bowlers 3 and 4.

* ok maybe Phillips missing that catch in the first innings.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Happy that SL are putting together some good performances, getting Kamindu up the order has been a key differentiator. The bowling is pretty underrated, give the spinners a surface to work with and they’ll usually deliver. Gives NZ plenty to think about going into the 2nd test.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has chief selector Southee decided to drop himself yet?

Yet another outing as nothing more than a passenger in the team, meaning we're essentially playing with 10 men.

Took 1 of the 20 SL wickets taken for 87 runs, (and of course that one wicket was a gift wicket), and as usual offered nothing useful with the bat.

thierry henry

International Coach
Disappointing. I will hold off on the usual volley of personal insults about the character of the players, please all just come up with your own and imagine me saying them.

I think we showed enough, and have enough, to win the second test - and generally (almost invariably actually?) NZ teams in the subcontinent outside of India have found a way to do so over the last decade. Even this weak ass post-2021 bunch managed to draw in Pakistan and Bangladesh. My concern is we are now deep enough into this doldrums era that we will lose this one.

Our spin attack is not impressive but on pitches like this a guy like Ajaz tends to take wickets even while going through big phases of looking ineffective. It feels churlish to say anything less than totally positive about the SL attack after losing and given Jayasuriya's figures, but I feel like the conditions are helpful and sticking to the basics is pretty much guaranteed to lead to wickets. Our motley crew of spinners now has a pretty good record of doing a serviceable job in favourable conditions.

Where the difference should be, is we still have plenty of batting and guys who ought to be capable of making big scores. That's really where my confidence and concern lie in equal measure - we have the batting to get this done, but I'm losing faith in them.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Very pleased for Sri Lanka, they are very much my favourite Test team outside of England and Ireland on account of my cousins that live there. Sadly I also have family links to Austr*lia (my dad grew up in Perth), funny enough I don’t have much of a soft spot for them

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
A sample size of one game, and the conditions were very different, but I wonder if long-term Sri Lanka are better off with Chandimal up the order and Kusal Mendis the wicketkeeper batter at #7, the latter didn’t get many runs in England

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka are clearly in the best shape that they been for the best part of a decade. They probably don't turn it on as a unit with the bat as much as they should but they appear to have far more depth to their bowling attack with a good range of seamers as well as Prabath in the spin department. I've not seen enough of Ramesh Mendis to make an informed comment, other than he doesn't appear to have that bad a record.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given that both of New Zealand's last two defeats have been eminently avoidable, it really makes Southee's performances all the more aggravating. We all (myself included) were calling for NZ to move on from Wagner a good 18 months before he was finally given the Old Yeller treatment. Southee's performances over the past year have been far far worse than Wagner's ever were. I know Athlai will say "Duurrrr, Southee's da captin, they not gunna drop him silly, Ima big dumdum with a smelly butt" (or something to that general effect), but Southee has to go. NZ aren't good enough to carry such an obvious passenger in such a crucial role, and there's zero realistic upside to his continued selection. Give KW back the captaincy in an interim capacity (a longer term captain can be appointed for the England series in December), promise Tim a few farewell games in the T20's later this summer, and give NZ the best chance to level this series.