• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Bedders with his 6th ton of the season for Durham.

Top scorer in Division One on 1036 and counting averaging a mere 79.69 at a 74.53 SR

So glad he chose South Africa over England, so Durham can see more of him!

SeamUp

International Coach
Most FC 100s by South Africans in the last 3 years

Bedingham 15 (52)
Rickelton 9 (29)
Elgar 8 (37)
Breetzke 7 (23)
Mulder 6 (39)

Other Proteas
De Zorzi 4 (28)
Verreynne 4 (36)
Stubbs 3 (15)
Markram 2 (10)
Bavuma 1 (18)

Dendarii

International Debutant
Could Bedingham's county commitments be the reason he wasn't picked for the Afghanistan or Ireland matches?

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But I also don't really care about the losses right now. I care about the performances of the players and how they stand up and be counted. It's the lack of character and fight that bothers me the most.

SeamUp

International Coach
But I also don't really care about the losses right now. I care about the performances of the players and how they stand up and be counted. It's the lack of character and fight that bothers me the most.

Whilst I agree I think this goes hand in hand. We seem to have lost that elite winning mentality we had at all levels. SA U19s, domestic, SA A, Proteas. If you winning it generally means people are shining. You part of a successful culture and system to try bring success.

SeamUp

International Coach
Highest scores by South Africans in the County Championship who didn't play for England.

Jimmy Cook 313* Somerset 1990
Graeme Smith 311 Somerset 2005
HD Ackerman 309* Leics 2006
Alviro Petersen 286 Lancs 2015
David Bedingham 279 Durham 2024

mackembhoy

International Debutant
To think at 20/21 he was a Varsity student coming over to England to play in the Notts league. This was after being a schoolboy prodigy who seemed to have been forgotten about in the system in SA.

It's been a tremendous 5 years or so for him.
Only Michael Hussey who had just the one season at Durham averages more than him.

Similar average to Shiv who played 2 at Durham.

He's 4th in the hundred stakes with Colly,Benkenstein and Di Venuto above him.

As he's only 6 behind Colly if he stays happy at Durham(as we've messed him around in the blast) then he'll no doubt claim that record too.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst I agree I think this goes hand in hand. We seem to have lost that elite winning mentality we had at all levels. SA U19s, domestic, SA A, Proteas. If you winning it generally means people are shining. You part of a successful culture and system to try bring success.
My comment on losses is that you can have a good loss. Have a bad session. But fight till the end.

But even the few wins don't feel good at the moment. Because it doesn't feel like there is real care or desire. Maybe I'm being unfair. But it feels like a shrug. And we will be better next match. I can't imagine what Kepler Wessels would have said about this attitude. The man that to large degree inspired the hard nose fight in SA cricket on our return.

SeamUp

International Coach
My comment on losses is that you can have a good loss. Have a bad session. But fight till the end.

But even the few wins don't feel good at the moment. Because it doesn't feel like there is real care or desire. Maybe I'm being unfair. But it feels like a shrug. And we will be better next match. I can't imagine what Kepler Wessels would have said about this attitude. The man that to large degree inspired the hard nose fight in SA cricket on our return.
Absolutely. Was watching a bit of the first innings bowling and we really didn't try different things. Just let things float along.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
To think at 20/21 he was a Varsity student coming over to England to play in the Notts league. This was after being a schoolboy prodigy who seemed to have been forgotten about in the system in SA.

It's been a tremendous 5 years or so for him.
Didn't his car accident set him back a few years also.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer

Is Neil brand a good enough captain I'd say no. Should be picking a decent captain with a winning mentality , Verynne, or need to groom a youngster for sa as like Smith was for main team early.