• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Cook had the same issue most older players get, no? You don't lose the ability to play big innings like your peak past a certain point, you just become less consistent and get a ton of low scores in-between the big ones. Same thing happened to warner in his twilight.
But he was only 28 in 2013 at the start of his decline. He went two years without a test ton. Sure, he did refind his form somewhat in 2015 but was prone to series of less production SA away at the end of that year. The more general decline probably set in around 2017 in terms of failing against everyone a lot more.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Cook pretty much said being an opening batsmen was much easier early on in his career. This is backed up by the averages of opening batsmen from say 2013 to 2019. They were all generally poor apart from Warner who was helped by his home record.

He didn't really decline as an opener, opening just got more difficult in general. Probably shouldn't have quit Test cricket when he did as things did appear to get easier after 2019 and he was still batting well in CC.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cook pretty much said being an opening batsmen was much easier early on in his career. This is backed up by the averages of opening batsmen from say 2013 to 2019. They were all generally poor apart from Warner who was helped by his home record.

He didn't really decline as an opener, opening just got more difficult in general. Probably shouldn't have quit Test cricket when he did as things did appear to get easier after 2019 and he was still batting well in CC.
Perhaps he'd have just called it a day 12 months later, as it's not hard to see him struggling against the 2019 Australian attack.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Perhaps he'd have just called it a day 12 months later, as it's not hard to see him struggling against the 2019 Australian attack.
He faced most of that attack in 2017 and got a score 244 against them.

He was just a 1 format player for a long time, so it's not like he had a crazy schedule.

Don't have any issues with him retiring when he did. More wondering if he ended up regretting it.

Qlder

International Debutant
Who's going to have most runs/wkts of the series?

Most Runs
Pope - 229
Root - 204
Brook - 195
Duckett - 150
Hodge - 148

Most Wickets
Atkinson - 16
Seales - 10
Bashir - 7
Woakes - 7
A.Joseph - 6

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks but Furball and Molehill have really upset me today and I don’t need the stress of upsetting others through simple posts of a score and who scored the goal
In Match threads, anything goes. Don’t care what anyone says. We are here to have a good time. Your postings are more than welcomed and it is very engaging as well. I appreciate you.

SillyCowCorner1

Thanks for this

I won’t be continuing though as apparently I’ve upset too many people

I’m trying to get all record of my existence deleted

I hope you have nothing but success and enjoy your cricket watching in the future

I don’t want to be accused of spoiling things for others on here

farewell my friend
Hope to have you around.

540/3 is loading...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
@CartyDurham stick around bro.

Not sure what @Furball said because as far as I know he doesn't even look at the cricket threads anymore?

Ongoing discussion of matches is what makes match threads great. You can do this without posting the score etc on a game we are all watching which is I guess where you've had the feedback.

In the domestic threads, posting the score updates is really useful where you can assume most of us aren't watching at that moment. In the Test threads etc - comment on the action but maybe cut down the 'x is out' posts which aren't really the style of modern day CW match threads where we're all watching the match while posting. But keep adding your opinion! That's what the forum is here for.

PM me if you want to discuss. I outrank all mods at this forum in terms of both seniority and popularity.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Who's going to have most runs/wkts of the series?

Most Runs
Pope - 229
Root - 204
Brook - 195
Duckett - 150
Hodge - 148

Most Wickets
Atkinson - 16
Seales - 10
Bashir - 7
Woakes - 7
A.Joseph - 6
You'd think the wickets is fairly settled so long as Atkinson plays the 3rd test. If they rest him I guess it's up for grabs.

Runs is a toss up in general because batting is just like that, though more likely Root than Pope for me, the latter was a bit flattered by his score at TB.

The bookies don't like the look of any of the tourists' top seven, with Dan Lawrence considered more likely to top score than any of them:

1721837508638.png

Molehill

International Captain
@CartyDurham stick around bro.

Not sure what @Furball said because as far as I know he doesn't even look at the cricket threads anymore?

Ongoing discussion of matches is what makes match threads great. You can do this without posting the score etc on a game we are all watching which is I guess where you've had the feedback.

In the domestic threads, posting the score updates is really useful where you can assume most of us aren't watching at that moment. In the Test threads etc - comment on the action but maybe cut down the 'x is out' posts which aren't really the style of modern day CW match threads where we're all watching the match while posting. But keep adding your opinion! That's what the forum is here for.

PM me if you want to discuss. I outrank all mods at this forum in terms of both seniority and popularity.
He took it to the Olympics thread and was posting score updates from the Football......he's deleted all the posts now, but trust me, there were a lot. It just kills off any kind of discussion.

I've got him on ignore anyway, suggest others do too.

flibbertyjibber

He took it to the Olympics thread and was posting score updates from the Football......he's deleted all the posts now, but trust me, there were a lot. It just kills off any kind of discussion.

I've got him on ignore anyway, suggest others do too.
He likes telling everyone he is leaving in every thread too. Bore off. Just f off and go if you are or stay and take it on the chins if you aren't.