• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I like the notion of going past Chanderpaul and Lara in successive matches against the West Indies before going past Sangakkara against Sri Lanka.
I like the confidence that he's scoring 461 runs in the next 4 tests. I'm all for it.

I'll up it one and he needs 533 to go past Cook. Cook last test run was scored 10/09/2018 and the 5th day of the final test of the summer is 10/09/2024.

I believe Root isn't too far from the most 4th innings run title as well. Only needs a 100 or so runs I believe. Just a separate stat he might claim.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I like the confidence that he's scoring 461 runs in the next 4 tests. I'm all for it.

I'll up it one and he needs 533 to go past Cook. Cook last test run was scored 10/09/2018 and the 5th day of the final test of the summer is 10/09/2024.

I believe Root isn't too far from the most 4th innings run title as well. Only needs a 100 or so runs I believe. Just a separate stat he might claim.

99 to take that crown

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Was thinking Joe Root is about 4000 behind Sachin . So at least ten series scoring 400 a series would get him up there

of course some are three, even 2 , but you have 5s with Australia and India

he’s going to have to play up to 40 to have a chance
I believe England are currently scheduled to play 36 tests between now and the end of the 2027 Ashes.

Root will be 36 and surely the sort of series you'd see him wanting to end on if still fit/worth his place in the side.

In that event he'd need 110 runs a test match if he played all of them games to score the 3982 runs needed to overtake Sachin.

Brook's side

International Regular
I believe England are currently scheduled to play 36 tests between now and the end of the 2027 Ashes.

Root will be 36 and surely the sort of series you'd see him wanting to end on if still fit/worth his place in the side.

In that event he'd need 110 runs a test match if he played all of them games to score the 3982 runs needed to overtake Sachin.
Got no major fitness issues. Fit as a fiddle. Still loves the game.
See how his hunger and his eyes are then!
I don't generally think much of the idea of playing on to get records, but to be the number 1 run scorer in the whole existence of the sport, it's got to be worth a crack if he's still scoring runs and still worth his place in the side.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
By end of 2027, Root will be 37 and should be around the 15,000 runs mark. He will probably need to play the whole of 2028 to get 16,000, assuming he plays pretty much every match and stays in good form over the 4 yrs.

However, given that England moved on James Anderson when he was just a few wickets away from Shane Warne and only few away from 1,000 international wickets, I doubt they will allow Root to just play on for a year or so just to chase milestones. I am pretty sure they'd get new batters in to prepare for the 2029 Ashes in Australia.

So Root most likely retires by 2027 Ashes/2027 ODI WC or at the latest by 2028 English season imo.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Alastair Cook once looked likely to get the runs record. He averaged 47 in 2017. But at age 33, he had a poor 2018, and so he moved on in the same year finishing with 12,500 runs from 161 Tests aged 33.5

All it took was one bad year and it was over.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Alastair Cook once looked likely to get the runs record. He averaged 47 in 2017. But at age 33, he had a poor 2018, and so he moved on in the same year finishing with 12,500 runs from 161 Tests aged 33.5

Many thought Ponting would do it too but then his last 4 years were pretty poor

slowfinger

International Debutant

not happening. he's already showed signs he's struggling - can't see him maintaining good form past the next 2 years to be honest

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Root has played 142 tests, so he gets around 84 runs per test.

There's a chance that if England lose badly in Australia & Root fails with the bat, they might decide to move him on after the Ashes (He'll be 35)

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Root has played 142 tests, so he gets around 84 runs per test.

There's a chance that if England lose badly in Australia & Root fails with the bat, they might decide to move him on. (He'll be 35)
Most players start declining after 33/34 so very unlikely that he continues at 84 runs per test. More like 60-70 from now on I think.

Qlder

International Debutant
Some good news for West Indies, England have lost 3 of their last 4 Tests at Edgbaston (and won only 2 of their last 8 there vs WI)

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I may have touched on it before, but the first thing I want Root to do is go past the 33 ton mark that Cook set for most England test centuries. He has now moved 1 behind that after the 2nd test, 2nd innings ton.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Helped by one massive red ink double ton on one of the flattest pitches I'd ever seen. He'd already began regressing in 2016.

Root is better than Cook and still looks great. Also isn't an opener a much harder job than batting 4.

I reckon he gets to number 2 on the list and so 13.5k during the India 2025 series.

Can Root finally get an Ashes ton in Australia? Him performing below par again will mean absolutely no chance he overtakes Sachin.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Helped by one massive red ink double ton on one of the flattest pitches I'd ever seen. He'd already began regressing in 2016.

Root is better than Cook and still looks great. Also isn't an opener a much harder job than batting 4.

I reckon he gets to number 2 on the list and so 13.5k during the India 2025 series.

Can Root finally get an Ashes ton in Australia? Him performing below par again will mean absolutely no chance he overtakes Sachin.
My view on Cook is that he was never truly the same player after he got dissected by Australia in the back to back series of 2013/2014. Always more suspect against high quality pace bowling. He made a very fine knock against New Zealand at home in 2015 and a very good knock later that year in the UAE v Pakistan, in the match England almost one, but he was largely rather less convincing with his knocks from that point onward.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook had the same issue most older players get, no? You don't lose the ability to play big innings like your peak past a certain point, you just become less consistent and get a ton of low scores in-between the big ones. Same thing happened to warner in his twilight.