• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Qlder

International Debutant
Never felt we would lose at any stage. Always expected the 2nd innings collapse and it came. No nerves like some games that may have been tight.
Didn't you just say you think the England side is very poor, then you watched West Indies score more runs then England did in both of their innings, but you never felt you would lose, but only posted after you knew England won ...yeah right, with WI 0-61 chasing you were probably curled up weeping like a baby :ph34r:

Molehill

International Captain
Never felt we would lose at any stage. Always expected the 2nd innings collapse and it came. No nerves like some games that may have been tight.
Even when Crawley went early in the 2nd innings with England still in deficit? England teams of the past might have collapsed (one literally did in similar circumstances in the WI to Jerome Taylor). Perhaps it shows that this England side are a bit better than you give them credit for.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Well what ideas have you come up with?
Sweet FA 😂😂😂😂
Continuing to play sides in at least 3 test match series(ideally 5) and allowing time in the schedule for touring sides to play county sides in more than one game.

Like they did for decades prior to the calendar being swamped with meaningless white ball series for the ECB to just pocket loads of money(such as the Aussie series in September)

Take away the power from the big 3 and share the wealth created around.

You seemingly want to give more power to the boards destroying cricket by allowing them to control other countries domestic calendar by sticking their own teams into them. Bit like how the Premier League wants B teams in the EFL.

Smiley emojis and not really engaging in what is being said are usually the sign of someone just on a windup.

Seemingly everyone except yourself on this board enjoyed the test match. I know these things can be subjective, but surely we can't all be wrong and you the only one right?

I've been less of a regular on this place over the years so I don't know your posting style enough, I might just be falling for a massive bit of bait. If so I'm happy to play along as I care enough to believe in what I'm saying.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't you just say you think the England side is very poor, then you watched West Indies score more runs then England did in both of their innings, but you never felt you would lose, but only posted after you knew England won ...yeah right, with WI 0-61 chasing you were probably curled up weeping like a baby :ph34r:
Na. Having watched them fold so limply a week ago it was always happening again. Probably will next week too. Sadly.

flibbertyjibber

Continuing to play sides in at least 3 test match series(ideally 5) and allowing time in the schedule for touring sides to play county sides in more than one game.

Like they did for decades prior to the calendar being swamped with meaningless white ball series for the ECB to just pocket loads of money(such as the Aussie series in September)

Take away the power from the big 3 and share the wealth created around.

You seemingly want to give more power to the boards destroying cricket by allowing them to control other countries domestic calendar by sticking their own teams into them. Bit like how the Premier League wants B teams in the EFL.

Smiley emojis and not really engaging in what is being said are usually the sign of someone just on a windup.

Seemingly everyone except yourself on this board enjoyed the test match. I know these things can be subjective, but surely we can't all be wrong and you the only one right?

I've been less of a regular on this place over the years so I don't know your posting style enough, I might just be falling for a massive bit of bait. If so I'm happy to play along as I care enough to believe in what I'm saying.
Well your idea is worse than mine as nobody wants to play touring games any more anywhere in the world as they claim they play enough and the players want to play franchise tat too to earn more cash.

I actually agree with you but it has less chance of happening. Our best tours in the last 15 years we properly prepared and played games at the start of a tour before the series. Doesn't happen now and we struggle as do sides coming here.

Qlder

International Debutant
Na. Having watched them fold so limply a week ago it was always happening again. Probably will next week too. Sadly.
Well since England is as bad as you say, I'm looking forward to the Windies kicking some ass with Shamar ripping through them (and he hopefully also gets a batting promotion to #9)

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
*The root of many issues can often be traced back to the power magnates in the game; this is not exclusive to the West Indies, of which I am certain. The current CWI administration has improved management compared to its predecessors, steering us towards a positive direction. However, progress requires time and resources, which significantly impacts our game. For instance, the earlier tour to Australia this year cost the CWI $2 million. We are confronting our challenges, but it remains a continual struggle to manage the complexities of resources and funding. The series that SA played against us just before the T20 WC in Jamaica had an impressive turnout, which was wonderful to witness.

*Wealthier cricket boards could assist the West Indies, albeit it's a bit of a stretch, by sending one of their county teams from England (for example) to compete in our regional tournaments. This could enhance the quality of the competition. However, as usual, a fair distribution of funds seems unlikely to materialize.
Agree completely with this. The only things I would add are:

The change in funding system back in the 2000s meaning that the home team makes all the money from series they host royally screwed us over. The Caribbean is the most expensive place in world cricket to host series and we can only make money when India or England tour. Every other series we lose money. So the fact we then started losing money on away tours as well (e.g Australia) meant that we had no money to invest in academies etc. We said this would happen when the vote to change the system took place, but ££ for the big 3 won the day. The only reason we are now making money and able to invest in a new academy is because of the world cup and lots of tours by India and England recently. So frankly, changing the funding model, even if only small percentages go to the touring team, would have a huge impact. As will regular tours by England and India.

CWI certainly aren't blameless, the likes of David Cameron made some horrible decisions. Now we have excellent management in place at CWI, but they cant get rid of the old cronies who run the territorial boards. Every time they try and reform the CWI structure those old fools vote it down to protect their positions. So that is on us, not the ICC/ big three.

SillyCowCorner1

The change in funding system back in the 2000s meaning that the home team makes all the money from series they host royally screwed us over. The Caribbean is the most expensive place in world cricket to host series and we can only make money when India or England tour. Every other series we lose money. So the fact we then started losing money on away tours as well (e.g Australia) meant that we had no money to invest in academies etc. We said this would happen when the vote to change the system took place, but ££ for the big 3 won the day. The only reason we are now making money and able to invest in a new academy is because of the world cup and lots of tours by India and England recently. So frankly, changing the funding model, even if only small percentages go to the touring team, would have a huge impact. As will regular tours by England and India.

CWI certainly aren't blameless, the likes of David Cameron made some horrible decisions. Now we have excellent management in place at CWI, but they cant get rid of the old cronies who run the territorial boards. Every time they try and reform the CWI structure those old fools vote it down to protect their positions. So that is on us, not the ICC/ big three.
Periods of high highs and low lows. As a diehard cricket fan, excusing my Windies bias, I want things to somewhat be balance. This is but a pipe dream because we have people making wanting to ‘cash in’ for their own pockets without even thinking about the development of the game in the region, long-term.

Now, let’s talk about my home county…the ancient county of Berbice. The amount of resources being pumped into grassroots cricket is absolutely incredible. The BCB have locate where the problem is and they are repairing the damage…
This is an ideal microcosm into how the other cricket boards in the region should try to emulate.

Molehill

International Captain

Why is this? Or how do you work this out?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Why is this? Or how do you work this out?
The Caribbean is a tourist destination made up of multiple islands and different territories. Internal flights are incredibly expensive and we have to fly players to different islands for every match. When the players are on an island they have to stay at expensive tourist hotels, paying extortionate prices. It's a unique situation in world cricket. Johnny Graves has talked about this a lot.

Last edited: