• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was anticlimactic. Atkinson seems to have a bit more in him than the average test class at home seamer England wheel out and bin every summer. Farewell Jimmy.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Horrific from WI. Can’t believe this is the same outfit that managed to draw in Aus.
Not really that surprising. If it wasn't for that Da Silva/Hodge partnership in 2st innings in Brisbane, they would've been dismissed sub-200 in all 4 innings.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Gus Atkinson was excellent. An easy win but i think West Indies will improve in the next test match its a young side perhaps caught up in the Jimmy Anderson stuff. We will win the test series and it will be fine. Interested to see who will replace Anderson in the next test.

SillyCowCorner1

It doesn't help at all that they had no preparation coming into this game other than a typical joke hit around for 3 days. Sure, I don't see a lot of quality in the middle order, but when you are giving a go to blokes who have barely played much first class cricket at all and are being picked presumably on potential, it is a tough ask to expect them to front up in challenging batting conditions against guys who have had first class preparation. Louis and Athenaze look to have some potential, but I'm not sure there is much of an answer apart from that.
I hope this opens up the wound that is all there to see even wider. People are rightly frustrated at a lot of things. How can we improve from this situation? That’s a question worthy to ask. I know that the barbs will be out.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hope this opens up the wound that is all there to see even wider. People are rightly frustrated at a lot of things. How can we improve from this situation? That’s a question worthy to ask. I know that the barbs will be out.
Are people over in the WI genuinely frustrated, SCC? We don't really hear much either way over here, but the outward impression is that the fans/board/players don't really have any genuine appetite for getting better in tests, and put almost all their efforts into LO.

SillyCowCorner1

Are people over in the WI genuinely frustrated, SCC? We don't really hear much either way over here, but the outward impression is that the fans/board/players don't really have any genuine appetite for getting better in tests, and put almost all their efforts into LO.
The frustration is there. You'd imagine after the Gabba win (a famous one at that) rejuvenated interest in this format of the game. You beat the WTC champs of the game and that will get a lot of people interested, more importantly, the young ones. I don't know how test cricket is viewed in the islands, but from where I am from-- the county of Berbice, we stick to calling this format of the game the best. Folks around my circles have expressed disappointment oftentimes than ever, it's just after that showing in Australia that we've expected to tussle with England and give them a challenge. Now, the lack of experience in the batting didn't help us.

I am not going to make excuses for them.

My country has dominated the 4-day competition in the last decade or so. We've produced decent red ball cricketers (Motie, for example). Sometimes the hierarchy and selectors can mess things up because of their lack of insight.

Let me move away from the dark clouds above and highlight the youngsters that are coming from the academy team, those are the ones I am more excited about. I hope that they have it instilled in them the value of playing test cricket.

I just hope for a better showing in the second test.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it really a surprise WI made no runs here? SA had similar issues when they played this ENG side at home, but they atleast had some experienced domestic pros like erwee and a test class bat to partner Elgar. Bigger concern for WI is the bowling here. I didn't expect a sinclair less side to do too much with the bat, but shamar spraying it and alzarri struggling hurt a lot more.

SillyCowCorner1

Is it really a surprise WI made no runs here? SA had similar issues when they played this ENG side at home, but they atleast had some experienced domestic pros like erwee and a test class bat to partner Elgar. Bigger concern for WI is the bowling here. I didn't expect a sinclair less side to do too much with the bat, but shamar spraying it and alzarri struggling hurt a lot more.
Shamar was undercooked, he didn't made it in time for the warmup match because of delays due to the hurricane. Alzarri, sometimes that dude just run into bowl fast without any clear plan. We could have saved a lot of runs if there was a third man or even a double-gully.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Holder, seales and motie bowling well is a huge plus IMO. If WI drop one of shamar and alzarri (if shamar is still half fit/undercooked should be him, otherwise alzarri) for sinclair and movie holder down to 8 I think they'll be more competitive. They should bat deep enough to atleast keep themselves in the game and hope there bowling line-up can defend it.

Qlder

International Debutant
When West Indies beat Australia they had Chanderpaul, Sinclair and Roach in the side. If thats made such a difference why dont they bring back the first two? (I know Roach is injured)

SillyCowCorner1

When West Indies beat Australia they had Chanderpaul, Sinclair and Roach in the side. If thats made such a difference why dont they bring back the first two? (I know Roach is injured)
The answer here is simple, Tage didn't performed in that series. In the domestic 4-day competition after that, it seemed right from the start that he was playing for his spot. Mikyle slammed centuries in both innings against us (Guyana Harpy Eagles) to make his case to be on the plane to England stringer. Tage made a hundred later in the competition, but it was too late, as the selectors had already made up their minds on his replacement. That's where we are right now.

There's some irony here, Mikyle's looked better than Kraigg, who looks like he's batting with toothpicks.