• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If this game goes five days and England win in the footy on Wednesday, Sunday is going to be the most emotional day in sporting history and that’s just a fact

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
I still can't believe we're binning off one of the all time great pace bowlers at a point when none of his potential replacements have established themselves at all. Anderson is still fitter and more dependable than Stokes, Wood and Woakes, all of whom have two or three years left at best in any case. Robinson seems to have torpedoed his own career, Archer doesn't seem to be in the reckoning for Test cricket at the moment, and the likes of Atkinson, Pennington, Fisher, Cook, Potts, Tongue, Stone et al are very much unproven.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess the logic is to allow his replacements to cement themselves.
It's a chicken or egg thing. You can have a someone you think is good, but you won't know if they're better than who they're replacing until they actually play, and test players usually need a bit of time to step up.

But in this case it's highly debatable if any of the replacements are as good (let alone better) just from observation alone, and they're not fitter - though keeping Anderson fit has been a factor in England's fast bowler rotation strategy (sometimes to the point of absurdity, like the 21/22 Ashes).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its a risk but if their only aim is to win the Ashes in Australia, then its at least an understandable risk. You kinda know what you are getting with Anderson and for the longest time, it has had minimal impact in Australia. It may fail spectacularly but it may also succeed immensely, this risk.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
The two home series England have this year are a bit of a formality. It'd be a shock if England were to lose even a single test to either side. So this is the only time to try and test the reserves.

IMO they should have retired Woakes first (before JA), given he can't even play away.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Foakes, Bairstow, Robinson, Hartley etc have been dropped after the India tour.
woah

Don't think it's very wise dropping people based on a tour of India for a series in home conditions. I guess Bairstow's been having some poor returns since injury. Why Robinson though?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
woah

Don't think it's very wise dropping people based on a tour of India for a series in home conditions. I guess Bairstow's been having some poor returns since injury. Why Robinson though?
fat, lazy, unmotivated, PR nightmare.

take your pick.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
woah

Difficult to manage aka a massive ****.

Molehill

International Captain
fat, lazy, unmotivated, PR nightmare.

take your pick.
Is he though? Or is that just a media spin? He could easily be kept from doing interviews.

50 wickets at 20 in home conditions. Currently the 3rd highest wicket taker in Div 2 despite having been rested by the ECB for 2 matches. Bowled really well in the Blast too. He's been poorly managed by the England set up if you ask me. If you're not picking a player with that record for non-cricketing reasons then you've ****ed up somewhere.