• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
He did scored a 2nd innings 70 in the next match though, arguably a better innings and Hadlee played that one.
Overall his stats against Hadlee that series weren’t very great and he had a poor series after that. So that’s why I said untested, and not bad in NZ

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli still has a ways to go before he breaks into a top 20 yet alone a top 15. And unlike Williamson (particularly) and Root, his career is on a downward trajectory.
I agree with you. I was querying an earlier post that said Kohli could potentially reach that 2nd group. Apologies for any confusion caused.

I can't see him surpassing Dravid amongst Indian bats, let alone reaching the really elite ATG level

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
I agree with you. I was querying an earlier post that said Kohli could potentially reach that 2nd group. Apologies for any confusion caused.

I can't see him surpassing Dravid amongst Indian bats, let alone reaching the really elite ATG level
Genuinely asking how is Dravid that much better than Kohli?(The former had questions in Australia and SA, the latter in Eng(where also Kohli has had one full tour of proper dominance) and NZ partially, that's it)

Coronis

International Coach

Yeah no I got it I was also agreeing with you.

Nah he was comfortably India’s best bat in the series vs SA. Don’t think it’s on a downward trajectory anymore
lol. He’s had 11 test series and the WTC match this decade, and averages 33.5. But yeah sure, he’s on an upwards trajectory. Ponting was also not in decline in the 2010’s imo. He was Australia’s best bat in his last B/G trophy!

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Jesus christ talk about being blinded by one or two good series.
It's not really about his Test runs only. He just had the greatest World Cup of All Time last year. I know, not Test; but it surely gives the feeling that he will score at a better rate now than between that period.

Coronis

International Coach
It's not really about his Test runs only. He just had the greatest World Cup of All Time last year. I know, not Test; but it surely gives the feeling that he will score at a better rate now than between that period.
Like Bevan’s test peak.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Like Bevan’s test peak.
You know the situations aren't similar. Bevan never clicked in Tests, he was just an ODI great. The same isn't really true for Kohli. While he was struggling, he was struggling in both formats. So ofcourse him coming back in runs with the literally the best batting performance by any batsman in a WC, and following that with some fine knocks in SA gives his fans the confidence that he is back.

kyear2

International Coach
Always rate openers in a separate class, toughest job in cricket particularly of yesteryear. If Gavaskar's among the top 3 openers ever as is often conceded then he shouldn't be considered unequivocally lower than anyone not named Bradman. Same applies to other openers of that pedigree.
There are gaps though, like there's gaps between Hobbs and Hutton, then for many, Hutton and Gavaskar. Some also have Sutcliffe ahead of him and while they were playing almost all rated Barry the better bat.

So yeah, levels to this.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
There are gaps though, like there's gaps between Hobbs and Hutton, then for many, Hutton and Gavaskar. Some also have Sutcliffe ahead of him and while they were playing almost all rated Barry the better bat.

So yeah, levels to this.
His peak hardly coincided with Barry's though, he was quite a bit senior. And I think the people who put a large gap between Hutton and Gavaskar are relatively small, as are those who rate Sutcliffe higher than either or both.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

So yeah, levels to this.
Any gap between Hutton and Gavaskar is imagined. You seem to take the romanticised version of Hutton, ignoring that he was criticised for negative cricket, slow scoring and not taking the bowlers on as much as Gavaskar while holding all those things against Sunny. English writers of the time favoured Compton and Hutton over Gavaskar most definitely isn't some expert consensus.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
His record flatters to deceive. Yes he was a great player, an exceptional player, even an ATG player but it doesn't match up to to the reputation. He feasted on weaker WI and Aussie attacks during WSC and the hundreds he did score were only on the absolutely slowest of pitches. When he did face decent attacks on pitches that even offered the slightest assistance, he struggled. The same English team that Viv dominated, he averaged 38 against.
Hey look, numbers.

1717560208967.png
More numbers.

1717560231495.png

Edit: changed to 1000 run cut-off

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Any gap between Hutton and Gavaskar is imagined. You seem to take the romanticised version of Hutton, ignoring that he was criticised for negative cricket, slow scoring and not taking the bowlers on as much as Gavaskar while holding all those things against Sunny. English writers of the time favoured Compton and Hutton over Gavaskar most definitely isn't some expert consensus.
It isn't. I have been influenced since I joined this forum but ESPN legends of cricket and Wisden cricketer of the century both had more expert backing to Gavaskar than Hutton.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah no I got it I was also agreeing with you.

lol. He’s had 11 test series and the WTC match this decade, and averages 33.5. But yeah sure, he’s on an upwards trajectory. Ponting was also not in decline in the 2010’s imo. He was Australia’s best bat in his last B/G trophy!
this is utter peak pedantic behaviour and wilful misinterpretation of stats, no surprises that a partisan kiwibro is the one trying to push the same narrative

Kohli’s got 2 centuries this decade and both of them were last year, he has been in the top 3 run scorers in his last 2 series and anyone who watched him play before in this decade and watched him now would understand. wait a sec werent you the one who said Kohli was India’s star batsman still lmao in another thread

Coronis

International Coach
this is utter peak pedantic behaviour and wilful misinterpretation of stats, no surprises that a partisan kiwibro is the one trying to push the same narrative

Kohli’s got 2 centuries this decade and both of them were last year, he has been in the top 3 run scorers in his last 2 series and anyone who watched him play before in this decade and watched him now would understand. wait a sec werent you the one who said Kohli was India’s star batsman still lmao in another thread
lol yes, deliberately take what I said out of context. Despite any form a batsman who was the premier star of a team won’t likely be dropped, especially a former captain, that is how Kohli is still seen in India.

All I’m asking for is some consistency and actual sustained form which is ridiculous apparently before saying Kohli is on the rise. He didn’t do anything of note until the final B/G test and has played 5 tests since then. But yeah, I’m the one being ridiculous.