• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
lol yes, deliberately take what I said out of context. Despite any form a batsman who was the premier star of a team won’t likely be dropped, especially a former captain, that is how Kohli is still seen in India.

All I’m asking for is some consistency and actual sustained form which is ridiculous apparently before saying Kohli is on the rise. He didn’t do anything of note until the final B/G test and has played 5 tests since then. But yeah, I’m the one being ridiculous.
This is still fair. However I don’t think one can say Kohli is still on a downward trajectory if the returns in previous series are increasing.

Pant Kameez

School Boy/Girl Captain
It isn't. I have been influenced since I joined this forum but ESPN legends of cricket and Wisden cricketer of the century both had more expert backing to Gavaskar than Hutton.
In the post above you should have also included Colin Croft.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
The only reason why people say his record against WI is a bit overhyped or rate someone like Amaranth(afaints WI) above him is because Gavaskar never dominated the quartet away from home.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The only reason why people say his record against WI is a bit overhyped or rate someone like Amaranth(afaints WI) above him is because Gavaskar never dominated the quartet away from home.
Which I think is a bit unfair since he only played the whole quartet away once and while no way good; managed to atleast score a century. Not much impressive, but given the succeeding home series and the previous tour vs Holding and Roberts; I do think people like Kyear takes the not good against pace claims to far.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Strange no Amarnath here. Seems like he didn't played them enough
Averages 38 in 17 matches, had arguably the best series by any Indian in 83 away; but was a utter bunny at the following home one. His record overall is really strange in that sense, averages 50+ away with ATG tours in WI, Pakistan and Australia; boosting 55+ there, but just around 30 at home and regularly struggled against these teams to pull 20. In fact, less than 10 vs WI at home.....

Pant Kameez

School Boy/Girl Captain
Averages 38 in 17 matches, had arguably the best series by any Indian in 83 away; but was a utter bunny at the following home one. His record overall is really strange in that sense, averages 50+ away with ATG tours in WI, Pakistan and Australia; boosting 55+ there, but just around 30 at home and regularly struggled against these teams to pull 20. In fact, less than 10 vs WI at home.....
So basically inverse Sehwag

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
For me some of the best away tours are(absolute top tier): Gavaskar 78 to England(a bit marginal tho), Viv 1976 to Eng, 1979 to Aus, 1980 to Pak, Amarnath 1983 to WI, Waugh 1995 to WI, Smith Ashes 2019, Smith BGT 2017, Kohli to Eng 2019, Kohli to RSA 2018(2nd best tour on this list after Amarnath IMO, given he played an ATG attack on some of the most demonic pitches ever and outperformed everyone significantly), Sachin to RSA 2010, Dravid to Eng 2011

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Top 6/7would probably(in order): Amarnath 83, Kohli 2018, Smith 2017, Viv 79, Waugh 95, Smith 2019/Dravid 2011, (Viv and Waugh cause they were canonically important is deciding which country was gonna dominate that era)

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Maybe, but he was facing an ATG Lillee, a still threatening Thommo, Rodney Hogg on tough pitches, and was the main difference between the sides, in helping secure a historic win for WI that shifted the centre of cricket
In that respect, I would argue Gavaskar in WI 71 was the most important tour by any Indian batsman.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
In that respect, I would argue Gavaskar in WI 71 was the most important tour by any Indian batsman.
Maybe but that wasn’t the sole criteria for rating Viv’s series. The primary one was that he dominated an amazing attack away from home, was the difference between both sides, and scored at a high pace. Gavaskar faced a very weak attack in 71 by comparison