• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Robinson would be an ATG if other countries didn't cheat and keep preparing wickets that didn't play to his strengths.
He was rubbish in the Ashes at home(average under 30 in that series isn't a reflection on how he bowled) and he's just carried that on.

He averaged 25.96 away in first 9 tests. His 10th in India has knocked that down to 28.47.

Don't see how it's India fault he bowled crap

Last edited:

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Yeah, but with all this, as soon as they id them as the next big thing they get injured, Stone, Tongue, Archer, Mahmood the list is endless.

We'll almost certainly have the same guys as normal at home, because they'll be fit, and they'll do well.

Atkinson being withdrawn from the IPL by England is so strange, to manage his workload of not playing at all, just fear he's another made of glass. 26 years old, 14 first-class games played, hmmm.
I would hope it is because they would want him to be playing the earlier rounds of the CC but yeah it sounds weird.

Ali TT

International Regular
He was rubbish in the Ashes at home(average under 30 in that series isn't a reflection on how he bowled) and he's just carried that on.

He averaged 25.96 away in first 9 tests. His 10th in India has knocked that down to 28.47.

Don't see how it's India fault he bowled crap
I was reflecting that wisdom of some on this board is that if a bowler does less well overseas, it's the home country's fault.

More seriously, Robinson seems to struggle with the game either being too hard or too easy, not sure which. I'm loathe to go after someone's personality/attitude though, as we've seen in the past that there can be lots of other things going on under the bonnet that only surface a long time later.

Hungry Llama

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If Woakes stays fit, I'd go with him in summer. You can hardly say hes too old and still
keep picking Jimmy. As Robbos back seems a major issue, its a bit of a risk to pick him
for another test match. As for others, Pots certainly deserves a go this summer, perhaps
with Wood or Atkinson, but it also depends on how much bowling Stokes can do.
And has anyone seen the mysterious John Turner actually bowl? He always seems injured.

What about the spinners? Its unlikely that england will be picking 2 except perhaps
at OT, but Bash seems more promising, whereas Hartley is the better bat. That is if they
dont go back to Leach cos hopefully he will have recovered by July. I'd be surprised
if Ahmed was picked for a home test.

howitzer

International 12th Man
If Woakes stays fit, I'd go with him in summer. You can hardly say hes too old and still
keep picking Jimmy. As Robbos back seems a major issue, its a bit of a risk to pick him
for another test match. As for others, Pots certainly deserves a go this summer, perhaps
with Wood or Atkinson, but it also depends on how much bowling Stokes can do.
And has anyone seen the mysterious John Turner actually bowl? He always seems injured.

What about the spinners? Its unlikely that england will be picking 2 except perhaps
at OT, but Bash seems more promising, whereas Hartley is the better bat. That is if they
dont go back to Leach cos hopefully he will have recovered by July. I'd be surprised
if Ahmed was picked for a home test.
A llama of consummate taste.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one who's a bit worried about the form of many of our likely starters in the test series? Crawley's averaging below 10 in the CC apart from one (admittedly stellar) innings. Pope's had one decent innings in the CC and, to my untrained eye, looks out of sorts. Foakes has barely made a score. Ditto Stokes (although his bowling is looking a real bonus). Potts and Robinson probably won't play in the first test, but thereafter we need someone to replace Anderson and they've struggled to take wickets. Anderson, Woakes and Wood haven't played any FC cricket so far.

FBU

International Debutant
Latest from Test hopefuls

Cook 152.1 overs 29 wickets at 13.62 (now injured)
Worrall 168.2 overs 28 wickets at 14.50
Snater 150.4 overs 25 wickets at 18.92
Pennington 176.3 overs 24 wickets at 23.83
Stokes 68.1 overs 15 wickets at 16.40
Potts 143.3 overs 11 wickets at 47.54 (also injured)
Atkinson 108.0 overs 11 wickets at 32.00
Stone 86.2 overs 8 wickets at 35.75
Mahmood 46.0 overs 2 wickets at 86.50

Robinson 156.3 overs 16 wickets at 27.75
Fisher 97.0 overs 9 wickets at 37.33

I'd go with Pennington, Woakes, Snater and Stokes. There is no speed in those 4. So it will probably be Robinson, Woakes, Wood and Stokes. If Wood gets more injuries in the WC then Atkinson to replace him.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain

I'd go with Pennington, Woakes, Snater and Stokes. There is no speed in those 4. So it will probably be Robinson, Woakes, Wood and Stokes. If Wood gets more injuries in the WC then Atkinson to replace him.
Pennington is pretty rapid. Not quite on the Mark Wood level but easily as quick as Atkinson or Tongue.

Is Snater really in contention for a place? Not sure he is even England qualified, is he? And surely they'd pick Porter ahead of him?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

+ Anderson in the first test of course. I hope for Jimmy's sake that it isn't an old fashioned Lord's road for the start of the series. But I suspect that guys who can nibble it around a bit will be more useful than quicker guys, Wood excepted. And Atkinson isn't really all that fast anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Snater really in contention for a place? Not sure he is even England qualified, is he? And surely they'd pick Porter ahead of him?
He's been with Essex for quite a while, so maybe? I'm guessing he originally came over to play as a local thanks to his Dutch passport, but he may well have lived here long enough to qualify for a UK one now too.

Not sure Franky Worrall is qualified either though, although he has said he wants to.

Speaking of foreign born possibles, what's happened to John Turner? Doesn't seem to be getting a gig for Hants in FC at all.

FBU

International Debutant
+ Anderson in the first test of course. I hope for Jimmy's sake that it isn't an old fashioned Lord's road for the start of the series. But I suspect that guys who can nibble it around a bit will be more useful than quicker guys, Wood excepted. And Atkinson isn't really all that fast anyway.
Well last f/c match at Lords Robinson bowled 30 overs and took 1 wicket so might be a road. No nibbling it around helped. Sussex used 9 bowlers/players. Stokes likes those roads for his batsmen. Then it's up to the bowlers to bounce out the opposition. With Stokes as captain the tall bowlers get the Pavilion End so Anderson will get his hated Nursery End. I'd be surprised if he gets a wicket! Maybe he picks up an injury against Kent or Notts and won't play anyway. In the old days Root let the bowlers decide which end they wanted ie Anderson's seven 5fers.

Tongue was brilliant at Lords at the Nursery End. All the bowlers were tall, Broad, Robinson and Tongue so someone has to take the NE. After all the overs at the NE Broad got quite good at either end.

Atkinson is not fast but Tongue and Archer aren't in contention so he might be chosen. They did take him to India.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of foreign born possibles, what's happened to John Turner? Doesn't seem to be getting a gig for Hants in FC at all.
He was injured at the start of the season and then hasn't appeared since despite being in the squad a couple of times. Expect him to play in the T20 though.

FBU

International Debutant
He's been with Essex for quite a while, so maybe? I'm guessing he originally came over to play as a local thanks to his Dutch passport, but he may well have lived here long enough to qualify for a UK one now too.

Not sure Franky Worrall is qualified either though, although he has said he wants to.

I chose Snater because he can bat at 8.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
What's happened to Tom Lawes this season? He looked a good prospect.

From @FBU 's list I can't see England picking Worrall (too Australian), Snater (too Dutch, too slow, not even an automatic pick for his county), Potts (injured and out of form), Mahmood (still returning from injury) or Fisher (indifferent form). Atkinson, Stone and Pennington have mostly been impressive, and Stone has done quite well with the bat too. Robinson remains incredibly frustrating.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Do England have ANY bowlers who have RELIABLE fitness, they seem to all have either niggles or not in great form.