• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Eng will stick with the same batsmen, although Jennings and Bohannon deserve call ups.

Hope a few more young seamers like Tom Lawes and John Turner get chances in this summer, Turner can be a bashir-esque selection.

Duckett needs to improve his temperament a bit, only seems to be scoring on flat pitches. even in his 150 odd he played quite a fewmany false shots in the beginning

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There really isn't any need for a dramatic change in the batting. The middle order was the obvious issue but you have Brook to come back anyway. Stokes will be much better in England and Root is Root.

Pope will need to have a decent summer but no way I would be dropping him yet.

What they do with the bowling will be the interesting part.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There really isn't any need for a dramatic change in the batting. The middle order was the obvious issue but you have Brook to come back anyway. Stokes will be much better in England and Root is Root.

Pope will need to have a decent summer but no way I would be dropping him yet.

What they do with the bowling will be the interesting part.
Root arguably already over the slump given his century and 84. Brook to come back. Bairstow the only immediate question mark but I suspect he will be back with the gloves at home. Foakes just isn’t good enough with the bat.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think our batting is in the best shape it's been for ages.

Duckett and Crawley at the top of the order are proving to be the best partnership we've had in ages.

Pope at 3, Root at 4, Brook at 5 with Stokes at 6 is pretty good as well.

Bairstow will keep and bat a 7 - in home conditions that's a very strong attacking line up.

Yes there will be times when we get rolled over but there will be plenty of test when we score big and score quickly.

The spin depth looks better. Hartley can be used in games when you want a holding spinner who can bat. We've got competition with Leach, Ahmed and Bashir.

The pace bowling has options buy also question marks. Jimmy is well just Jimmy. Woakes will be a weapon at home. Robbo is a concern but Woody will be his usual dangerous self.

At home we'll continue to be a pretty dominant force.

Like all teams, it's away from home that will be the real test.

Bijed

International Regular
Duckett and Crawley at the top of the order are proving to be the best partnership we've had in ages.
Yup, whilst I'm still not convinced individually by either of them, collectively they're way ahead of what we've become sadly used to

On other notes, Pope is fine if he does well enough at home. Decent/good at home and poor away might get you marked down on this forum, but realistically, we rarely have a semi-competent #3 whatsoever, we shouldn't turn down good home performances (if we get them) in search of a mythical consistent all-conditions contributor in that position

Spinner-wise, I think we'll stick with Leach if he's fit, but if I was in charge I'd probably be keen to give one of Bashir/Hartley a run. I don't think either is going to be a world-beater, but I think they could easily end up being as useful to the team as Leach is overall

Pothas

Root arguably already over the slump given his century and 84. Brook to come back. Bairstow the only immediate question mark but I suspect he will be back with the gloves at home. Foakes just isn’t good enough with the bat.
He is also just really unsuited at batting with the tail. All his best work has come with a senior partner. Fully expect Bairstow to keep this summer but maybe the other Ollie Robinson will come in at some point.

ma1978

State Captain
Anderson is done and with him, England’s bowling looks weak

only so much you can rely on Woakes and Wood. Robinson is a zero and the others average at best. Spiners will take time to mature.

The batting will win you a few matches because it is genuinely good, but the bowling is bad I can see a scenario where England win neither of the summer series and India are the favourites in 2025.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer

only so much you can rely on Woakes and Wood. Robinson is a zero and the others average at best. Spiners will take time to mature.

The batting will win you a few matches because it is genuinely good, but the bowling is bad I can see a scenario where England win neither of the summer series and India are the favourites in 2025.
Looks weak with him or without him?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I think our batting is in the best shape it's been for ages.

Pope at 3, Root at 4, Brook at 5 with Stokes at 6 is pretty good as well.

Bairstow will keep and bat a 7 - in home conditions that's a very strong attacking line up.

Yes there will be times when we get rolled over but there will be plenty of test when we score big and score quickly.

The spin depth looks better. Hartley can be used in games when you want a holding spinner who can bat. We've got competition with Leach, Ahmed and Bashir.

The pace bowling has options buy also question marks. Jimmy is well just Jimmy. Woakes will be a weapon at home. Robbo is a concern but Woody will be his usual dangerous self.

At home we'll continue to be a pretty dominant force.

Like all teams, it's away from home that will be the real test.
He is also just really unsuited at batting with the tail. All his best work has come with a senior partner. Fully expect Bairstow to keep this summer but maybe the other Ollie Robinson will come in at some point.
heads will have absolutely gone if Bairstow is picked to keep. nevermind his batting has gone to ****, he is waaaaay too big to keep now. will not have anywhere near the lightness on his feet to do the job to an ok standard.

the time to cut strings with him is now

Starfighter

Problem is England want a keeper-bat and Foakes doesn't quite seem to be up to it.

I'm personally in favour of picking Ollie Robinson, and also picking Ollie Robinson despite his effort in India so we can have a team with two Ollie Robinsons.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem is England want a keeper-bat and Foakes doesn't quite seem to be up to it.

I'm personally in favour of picking Ollie Robinson, and also picking Ollie Robinson despite his effort in India so we can have a team with two Ollie Robinsons.
Either they pick both Robinson's or stokes-foakes-woakes. Bairstow has to go.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Too bad it cant coexist with the Stokes - Foakes - Woakes 6-8.

Starfighter

Either they pick both Robinson's or stokes-foakes-woakes. Bairstow has to go.
I do think they'll stick by Bairstow, whether as keeper or not, for at least another season, especially if they persist with the policy of deliberately preparing dry, flat, easy-paced pitches.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If the test was starting anytime soon, I'd start with Woakes, Wood, Potts and one of the spinners. But July is a long time off, and we won't play the same combination all summer anyway. Robinson will probably put himself in the frame again. Anderson will probably stay fitter than most of the alternatives. I'd like to see Josh Tongue again, but he seems as likely to be available as Olly Stone.

Ali TT

International Debutant

Robinson would be an ATG if other countries didn't cheat and keep preparing wickets that didn't play to his strengths.

Chin Music

State 12th Man

There needs to be an identification of who England's future seamers will be. They need to give a bit of a chance to the likes of Potts and possibly Atkinson, who must have got splinters in his backside. I found it strange that they still picked Wood given that his previous appearance was fairly unsuccessful. There may be no immediate answer to this but it would have been useful to see how someone like Atkinson went.

grecian

There needs to be an identification of who England's future seamers will be. They need to give a bit of a chance to the likes of Potts and possibly Atkinson, who must have got splinters in his backside. I found it strange that they still picked Wood given that his previous appearance was fairly unsuccessful. There may be no immediate answer to this but it would have been useful to see how someone like Atkinson went.
Yeah, but with all this, as soon as they id them as the next big thing they get injured, Stone, Tongue, Archer, Mahmood the list is endless.

We'll almost certainly have the same guys as normal at home, because they'll be fit, and they'll do well.

Atkinson being withdrawn from the IPL by England is so strange, to manage his workload of not playing at all, just fear he's another made of glass. 26 years old, 14 first-class games played, hmmm.