• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

FBU

International Debutant
What's happened to Tom Lawes this season? He looked a good prospect.

From @FBU 's list I can't see England picking Worrall (too Australian), Snater (too Dutch, too slow, not even an automatic pick for his county), Potts (injured and out of form), Mahmood (still returning from injury) or Fisher (indifferent form). Atkinson, Stone and Pennington have mostly been impressive, and Stone has done quite well with the bat too. Robinson remains incredibly frustrating.
I love Lawes. 40.4 overs 5 wickets at 26.80. He might be injured. Think he is better than Atkinson. Stone is very injury prone. At 30 he has only played 49 f/c games.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What's happened to Tom Lawes this season? He looked a good prospect.
He hasn't played in the last few CC matches. But I don't know whether that's down to injury or not being picked. The bits of live stream where I did see him playing weren't encouraging; lots of frustrated turf kicking due to not putting the ball where he wanted. He'll probably come back in due course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You're right, he doesn't qualify until next April. tbh I wouldn't want to see him in the side.
See what you mean, but we've picked umpteen Anglo-Aussies over the years. None of whom have been that fantastic, now I think about it, but that's for another thread.

My take is it'd be a wee bit arbitrary to exclude him on the grounds he was good enough to actually get a gig for our criminal brethren, albeit a brief one.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
See what you mean, but we've picked umpteen Anglo-Aussies over the years. None of whom have been that fantastic, now I think about it, but that's for another thread.

My take is it'd be a wee bit arbitrary to exclude him on the grounds he was good enough to actually get a gig for our criminal brethren, albeit a brief one.
I think it's one of those agree-to-differ topics, and I'm aware I may well be in a minority. But, for me, playing for one country in your mid-20s should preclude you from playing for other countries. And yes, I know I'm being inconsistent insofar as I had no issue with Eion Morgan doing the job for us after he'd played for his home country as an adult.

Last edited:

Hungry Llama

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Except for the match in april vs yorks, all the pitches at Lords were batters tracks, so perhaps theyl
go with 2 spinners now stokes can bowl, if hes still fit in july ;) But I expect it will be Woakes & Wood to
join retiree Anderson and Stokes. Robbo looks spent, and the others are injured. Depending on how
well Jimmy does they might want to reconsider his retirement, now the potential replacements are
all falling sick. However they surprised everyone with Tongue last year, so maybe Penny might get a
test, but hes pretty inaccurate. Surely Atkinson is in front of the others so long as he stays fit. Has
anyone ever actually seen Turner bowl?

I read that Foakes is injured again, so Jonny might get the gloves back. I'd prefer they give the other
Olly a go as keeper, he definitely bats the bazball way, but probably not any better keeper than
Bairstow. So quite a deep batting lineup on paper:

Creepy
Ducky
Popey
Rooty
Brooky
Stokesy
Jonny
Woakesy
Woody
Hartley/Bash/Jack
Jimmy

Brook's side

International Debutant
Is there any evidence that Bairstow's keeping has improved since last summer?
If not then he's unselectable as wicket keeper.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, Moeen came out of retirement for the last Ashes. Why not Jimmy for the next?

Will be interesting to see if he packs up completely after Lords, or continues to play for Lancashire. They could do with a bowler who takes wickets.

FBU

International Debutant
Well, Moeen came out of retirement for the last Ashes. Why not Jimmy for the next?

Will be interesting to see if he packs up completely after Lords, or continues to play for Lancashire. They could do with a bowler who takes wickets.
Then he would be lying about just love bowling if he doesn't carry on with Lancs.

tony p

First Class Debutant
If I was Anderson I would continue to play championship matches for Lancs after his last test for two reasons,

1 Lancs might need him to avoid relegation.
2 To show Keys & Co that his fitness record is far superior to any of the young bowlers coming through who can't stay fit for more than a week.
Just reminding England what they may miss, can't rely on Stokes really, a break down is imminent bowling wise with him, he's now really a batter who bowls almost at a last resort.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I think it's one of those agree-to-differ topics, and I'm aware I may well be in a minority. But, for me, playing for one country in your mid-20s should preclude you from playing for other countries. And yes, I know I'm being inconsistent insofar as I had no issue with Eion Morgan doing the job for us after he'd played for his home country as an adult.
I am pretty sure I had covered the Worrall issue before in that I definitely don't think he should play for England. The situation with Morgan isn't the same given where Ireland were as a cricket nation at the time, i.e. not a full time one. In reality, despite test status, they aren't that now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am pretty sure I had covered the Worrall issue before in that I definitely don't think he should play for England. The situation with Morgan isn't the same given where Ireland were as a cricket nation at the time, i.e. not a full time one. In reality, despite test status, they aren't that now.
Morgan also wanted to play for England his whole life and had English parentage via his mother. Worrall very different

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Well only is as much as Worrall has an English father and an Irish mother, not vice versa as in Eoin's case. :ph34r:
Yeah, I know he has appropriate ancestry but him having come through the Australian system, including playing ODIs is a no-no. At least with Eoin, he essentially came through the English system with Middlesex.