• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
As a bloke I've no time for Beefy - he's a grade A tool at times but he has one heck of a record as an all rounder when he was at his peak.
Peak Botham is probably the most complete allrounder the games ever seen. Sobers could do more,but he wasn't a high usage bowler taking wickets at sub 20 while maintaining a top 7 batting spot at a 40+ average.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He was a phenomenal player in his youth..
Had he had more discipline who knows he probably would have been the greatest player ever .
Didn't he have a back injury in the mid 80s that ruined his bowling? Not saying the partying helped him as an athlete, but I feel like he was always going to drop off after that.

Xix2565

International Regular
We all know that in Indian conditions, India are a better team than England - but particularly their bowling.

To bridge that gap, we have to perform at our best with India underperforming - which is pretty much what happened in the 1st test.

We lost 8 wkts for 98 in our 1st innings - that wasn't primarily due to great Indian bowling but some really poor batting.

Yes it's tough for our batters against a top notch Indian attack but if we are to get back into the series, we need big 1st innings runs.
I mean Pope's innings wasn't exactly the definition of consistency, and even then it was a close thing despite going through the top order. A weaker bowling attack can have a good game, but being consistently good is a step too far for almost all teams touring India.

I mean it wasn't all long hops and such that got the wickets though? The run rate was tied down and England succumbed from there after Root's shot.

Sure but India has it easier because England doesn't have the bowling overall to make it difficult to score runs. And that's really where series are won or lost.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Sorry fellow England fans can see absolutely zero positives in this. We aren't bouncing back from this utter humiliation. Root may as well get on the first plane back home.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Didn't he have a back injury in the mid 80s that ruined his bowling? Not saying the partying helped him as an athlete, but I feel like he was always going to drop off after that.
Yes you are right it's very hard to comeback from serious injuries..
Possibly the most successful example is Pat Cummins

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson is an ATG but I still wonder why he didn’t retire with Broad as it would have been as good a time as any

Obviously still enjoys playing but can’t go on forever

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Anderson is an ATG but I still wonder why he didn’t retire with Broad as it would have been as good a time as any

Obviously still enjoys playing but can’t go on forever
I think he wants to go past Shane Warne's tally ..
And possibly Murali if given the chance..

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Imran does have a 10for and 100 in the same game though ..

Whilst 34 instances of 5for and a 100 have happened in Test cricket ..

Only 3 occasions have cricketers got 10 wickets in a match while scoring a hundred ..

Ian Botham vs India at Mumbai 1980
Imran Khan vs India at Faisalabad 1982
Shakib Al Hasan vs Zimbabwe at Khulna 2014

I wonder if anyone will ever do the Golden double ..

A 100 in each innings and a 5for in each innings..
Jadeja himself was very close to that in the Sri Lanka game.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
That's never happened ..

Mushtaq Mohammad and Denis Atkinson are the closest to do it , both got double hundreds and 7 in the match
I know you mean “closer” in that they achieved one or the other, but that seems a bit odd when there’s still 3 wickets to go.
Is someone who scored 199 (or 175 in this instance) and took 9 further away than someone who scored 200 but took 7?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I know you mean “closer” in that they achieved one or the other, but that seems a bit odd when there’s still 3 wickets to go.
Is someone who scored 199 (or 175 in this instance) and took 9 further away than someone who scored 200 but took 7?
No you right it's easier to score 25 runs than take 3 wickets