• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Fairplay to India, after being 33-3, they performed brilliantly.

We contributed to our own downfall with our 1st innings collapse. From there the game was done.

Everyone knows that 1st innings runs in India is so so important and we have to learn that and quickly.

We shouldn't rip up our approach but we do have to modify it according to the match situation. In our 1st innings we should have played in a more risk averse way on that 3rd morning when we could and should have at least matched India's 1st innings total.

Roots reverse scoop was a needless risk. We should have seen Bumrah off and taken it from there.

All is not lost despite this hammering.

We've shown we can compete and if we can win the toss in the next Test and then make good 1st innings runs, things will look alot more positive.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Something like this, and the eruption of schadenfreude to follow, was inevitable with this team at some point.

Question is, has the bubble burst or is this just the thing that propels them to world domination?
Yeah although there have been frustrating moments, this is what, only our second thrashing since Stokes took over (the first being home to SA where we won the series overall).

Not exactly panic stations just yet.

Spark

Global Moderator
Fairplay to India, after being 33-3, they performed brilliantly.

We contributed to our own downfall with our 1st innings collapse. From there the game was done.

Everyone knows that 1st innings runs in India is so so important and we have to learn that and quickly.

We shouldn't rip up our approach but we do have to modify it according to the match situation. In our 1st innings we should have played in a more risk averse way on that 3rd morning when we could and should have at least matched India's 1st innings total.

Roots reverse scoop was a needless risk. We should have seen Bumrah off and taken it from there.

All is not lost despite this hammering.

We've shown we can compete and if we can win the toss in the next Test and then make good 1st innings runs, things will look alot more positive.
All the talk is about the batting but to me the glaring, blaring red alarm about this team is the attack. If India continues to roll out pitches like this - and they should - then I have serious questions about whether this team can take 20 wickets outside of really edge cases.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
All the talk is about the batting but to me the glaring, blaring red alarm about this team is the attack. If India continues to roll out pitches like this - and they should - then I have serious questions about whether this team can take 20 wickets outside of really edge cases.
Pitches like these and England spinners, who lack quality and experience will be exposed like they were in this match.
Day 4 when they were smashed around the ground, India. Spinners were turning the ball like this was a rank turner. The pitch on day 4 was still good to bat on as India proved.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
England were exposed in the 1st match itself, it was the freakish innings from Pope masked their flaws. That innings sized the momentum from India causing them to panic in the 4th innings batting. Even then they almost won, lost by just 20 odd runs.
England were handed a proper drubbing today as they have long deserved!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yup. I said this before the start of the series. I didn’t think England had the bowling to win the series.

mccullum needs to address Englands bowling. If you keep conceding 400 plus in the first dig, even bazball isn’t going to save you more often than not.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
I guess it's been less of a talking point because that's what everyone was expecting pre-series. Our remaining spin trio came into the series with a combined total of 1 Test cap and near zero FC success. That Hartley haul in the first Test was immediately way better than was expected of any of them. Whereas the batting is our first choice line up aside from Brook and therefore expected to do well/more alarming when they fail.

If India continue to not throw their wickets away against the kids then yeah its gonna be tough the rest of the series.

Shri

Mr. Glass
so what will eng look like next test?

crawley
duckett
pope
root
stokes
lawrence
foakes
robinson
rehan
hartley
atkinson

?

ind:

rohit
jaiswal
gill
rahul
sarfaraz
jaddu
jurel
ashwin
kuldeep
akash
siraj

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Crazy how jaiswal scores two double centuries in two matches and didn't get man of the match in either of the games!

He surely won hearts!

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
so what will eng look like next test?

crawley
duckett
pope
root
stokes
lawrence
foakes
robinson
rehan
hartley
atkinson

?

ind:

rohit
jaiswal
gill
rahul
sarfaraz
jaddu
jurel
ashwin
kuldeep
akash
siraj
I'd be surprised if England drop Bairstow, even if merited. They'll give Wood every chance of playing as well.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
That's a fair point but the lack of 1st innings runs dictated the rest of the match.

India had the freedom in their 2nd innings to play as they did. If we'd scored 500, it's a very different approach form them in their 2nd innings.

Our spinners struggled in this test which isn't surprising given their lack of experience and indeed ability compared to India's.

We saw in the 1st test how Hartley ran through their batting when they were under pressure.

We need runs on the board to enable Hartley and Co to put the Indian batting on the back foot.

When they're ahead of the game, our spinners will really be up against it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not sure if Rahul will be fit. Padikkal is an exciting talent tbh. Hopefully we see him at #4 next game.

Feel bad for Pattidar, still think he is a far better batsman than he has shown so far in this series but he needs to get away now. Maybe play more Ranji and A games and make a comeback that way and hopefully he is all the better when he does make a comeback.