• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

King Kane

International Debutant
How would roy and hales have gone under bazball?
Roy and Hales were awful when they opened in test cricket and they didn't last long either in terms of their innings or their test careers.

It was the same with Guptill and Finch when they were tried as test openers, they are ODI and T20 players only, they don't have the technique for tests.

Duckett has a pretty good technique which is why he is succeeding as a test opener, even Crawley's technique isn't too bad compared to Roy and Hales.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fun fact: India's total today is the highest innings total in this series by any team so far.

Another fun fact: Bazballers don't give a ****.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We should recall Pujara for the last two tests. I'm being serious. Too many inexperienced noobs against such a strong team was never going to work.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I'm getting similar vibes to this Test- hope it plays out the same.

One team scores 445 with 2 centurions, then a left handed opener smashes it around and they get a lead of 150.

This is a horrific England side though, the attempt to hang on in the 3rd innings was horrendous.

Would take a Duckett 213 and a Root 156*

I just hope we can bat all of tomorrow and don't go too gung ho. Need to give the bowlers a rest.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Damn! Root and Duckett still in there, Bairstow and Stokes yet to come in addition to a handy tail...looks like they will take a solid 1st innings lead here...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
We've tried most of our best white ball players in the test team in recent years - Morgan, Hales, Roy, Buttler and none of them have succeeded.

Would they have had a better chance with Stokes and McCullum - yes particularly Hales and Buttler for me.

Both never really came to terms with their role. Neither played in a particularly positive way - they tried to play in a more traditional test match style and in truth didn't really have the skills to do that.

I'd be surprised if Buttler was in the frame for the test team - I think that boat has sailed.

Spark

Global Moderator
A lot of them felt like they were still being told to play like "real Test batsmen" though. Roy was obviously terrible but he also wasn't... himself? The way he was trying to bat obviously didn't suit him at all. It probably wouldn't have made any difference - he was facing exceptionally high quality bowling in the worst series for openers on record - but it surely can't have hurt for him to have been told to just see ball, hit ball. That's what he was good at

Silver Silva

International Debutant
A lot of them felt like they were still being told to play like "real Test batsmen" though. Roy was obviously terrible but he also wasn't... himself? The way he was trying to bat obviously didn't suit him at all. It probably wouldn't have made any difference - he was facing exceptionally high quality bowling in the worst series for openers on record - but it surely can't have hurt for him to have been told to just see ball, hit ball. That's what he was good at
That's true ..
I mean for example look at a host of Test players across the World and you only have to look at their strike rates to know that they didn't play Test cricket the way they wanted to play, rather they played it in a manner that was expected of them to play.

Buttler's Test SR is 54
Glenn Maxwell's Test SR is 59
Heinrich Klaasen's Test SR is 45

There is no way these 3 bat like this in a Bazball environment, and a change in style could have brought different results..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot of them felt like they were still being told to play like "real Test batsmen" though. Roy was obviously terrible but he also wasn't... himself? The way he was trying to bat obviously didn't suit him at all.
Hmm, asking because I don't know, but is Roy a naturally attacking batsman in county cricket?

Molehill

International Captain
Yes he was, albeit he batted at 5 or 6. He hasn't played CC for a few years now as he has gone full franchise pretty much.
SR of 81, but he's only ever played 87 FC Matches across an 11 year period. He was no fixture in that Surrey side.

Foakes by comparison has 159 FC matches and started 2 years after Roy.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
SR of 81, but he's only ever played 87 FC Matches across an 11 year period. He was no fixture in that Surrey side.

Foakes by comparison has 159 FC matches and started 2 years after Roy.
My recollection is that he probably wouldn't have played so much CC from about 2015 onwards when he finally did get in the England short form sides as that would have affected his availability. It was a poor punt to be honest in the circumstance. What was even worse is that England didn't bin it when it was clear it wasn't working by the time of the third test of that series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England were brilliant today in probably the best batting conditions we have had so far. Duckett is really amazing and Pope was enterprising and Crawley was solid while he was there. Root looks ominous too.

And they did really well to ensure India did not run away to a 500+ total.

That said, Rohit's captaincy again left a lot to be desired. It was good to see him try the short ball stuff and get Pope out that way but bringing on Ash so late and Jaddu even later was braindead. His issue seems to be how long he lets bowlers bowl their spells. Its almost as if its a crime if you take someone off after 3 overs or 4 overs into their spell. Can only hope this does not bite us but right now, even though they are 250 behind, it completely feels like we are chasing the game. Eng;and's game to lose IMO esp. if Jaddu and Bumrah are carrying niggles and not 100% as seems to be the case.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's true ..
I mean for example look at a host of Test players across the World and you only have to look at their strike rates to know that they didn't play Test cricket the way they wanted to play, rather they played it in a manner that was expected of them to play.

Buttler's Test SR is 54
Glenn Maxwell's Test SR is 59
Heinrich Klaasen's Test SR is 45

There is no way these 3 bat like this in a Bazball environment, and a change in style could have brought different results..
Buttler is a weird case. There are a number of batsmen who tend to be big hitters in white ball cricket mainly coz they just slog really well at the end while they build up their innings with defence and 1s and 2s. MSD was this, Buttler is similar. I just dont think they have a rhythm to their batting that would be required to manage test cricket no matter how they were told to bat.

Molehill

International Captain
Tomorrow is set up to be one of the most intriguing days of Test Cricket in ages. Bazball might just leave India broken by the end of the day, or they might fold for 340 (see Lord's last Summer).

Been a while since I've set the alarm for 4am, but want to see as much as possible before heading to the golf course!!