• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I'm getting similar vibes to this Test- hope it plays out the same.

One team scores 445 with 2 centurions, then a left handed opener smashes it around and they get a lead of 150.

This is a horrific England side though, the attempt to hang on in the 3rd innings was horrendous.

Hick and John Crawley cementing their status as flat track bullies, and not very good at that. Ramps getting a PLF and a horrific lower order batting lineup. Dominic Cork was never someone capable of knuckling down and the rest were just rather inept. I remember Gough was ok for a year or two at the start of his international career, but after about 96-97 he was just a pure slogger.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Well what a day of test cricket.

A simply brilliant knock from Ben Duckett, 88 ball century in India against such a strong bowling line up, is a very special performance. The rate at which we've scored is astonishing. Kuldeep and Jadeja were more or less hit out of the attack. Even Bumrah went at over 4 an over.

Special moment for Ashwin - 500 test wickets is an outstanding achievement 👏

The test is pretty evenly balanced. 445 was a good score from India but Duckett's knock has brought us right back into it.

Game on.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bumrah hasn't looked quite right though here, struggling with cramp it seems. Tomorrow is the day for scoring runs, we will need a lead as it's only going to get harder.

The longer we bat the better....
True, Bumrah has looked a bit off. Maybe slight injury? India need Siraj to step up, which he is capable of

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Forget a lead, England even getting to 450 would put India in a really tricky spot imo, and that seems odds on from here. Going to need bumrah and Ashwin to deliver early tomorrow.
Wouldn't parity put India in the driving seat with England needing to bat last?

Game seems well poised. Duckett has given England an amazing platform, but we have a long way to go yet. I'm getting flashbacks to the Lords Ashes Test last year where at the close of Day 2 we seemed well set to overhaul a 400+ first innings score, but on Day 3 we never got going and fell well short. But the opportunity is there if at least one of Duckett and Root can score big runs tomorrow for us to take a significant lead.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hick and John Crawley cementing their status as flat track bullies, and not very good at that. Ramps getting a PLF and a horrific lower order batting lineup. Dominic Cork was never someone capable of knuckling down and the rest were just rather inept. I remember Gough was ok for a year or two at the start of his international career, but after about 96-97 he was just a pure slogger.
My over-riding view at the time was how nice it was of us to provide a pitch that was exactly what the visiting SL side would have requested.

King Kane

International Debutant
The first I saw of Duckett was in the Big Bash out here in Australia a few years ago and I thought he was just another English T20 journeyman.

I never thought that he would be opening the batting for England in test cricket let alone smashing the fastest test hundred in India by an Englishman.

You have to give credit to McCullum and Stokes for picking him and backing him in as an opener, it's paid dividends for England with his knock today.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
My over-riding view at the time was how nice it was of us to provide a pitch that was exactly what the visiting SL side would have requested.
Yes absolutely. It was a shocking pitch to have at home. I recall Gus Fraser saying how they played the song, the Green, Green Grass of Home in the direction of the Oval Groundsmen.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes absolutely. It was a shocking pitch to have at home. I recall Gus Fraser saying how they played the song, the Green, Green Grass of Home in the direction of the Oval Groundsmen.
The other spooky thing I've just spotted is that Kumar Dharmasena, who's umpiring in this match, played for SL in the 1998 match that we're discussing. So there you go, it's all in the stars.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Missed the final session due to work so it looks like I've missed a cracker. I'll have to see it on the highlights.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The match is just so well poised.

We could easily score another 300 or so to give us a valuable lead.

But equally, it wouldn't be a shock for Bumrah in particular to make some early inroads tomorrow and we'll be struggling to get within a 75 runs of India.

It's been a great series so far and tomorrow promises to be yet another key day.

Molehill

International Captain
Sounds like an oxymoron, but I question if they have the patience to approach this way.
Both them and Buttler seemed utterly confused on how to play a Test innings. I think the clear minded approach of Bazball would've allowed them to prosper.

The first I saw of Duckett was in the Big Bash out here in Australia a few years ago and I thought he was just another English T20 journeyman.

I never thought that he would be opening the batting for England in test cricket let alone smashing the fastest test hundred in India by an Englishman.

You have to give credit to McCullum and Stokes for picking him and backing him in as an opener, it's paid dividends for England with his knock today.
I've had similar thoughts with Travis Head!!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So best drink less when out tonight and get up at 4am to watch. Bat till lunch and we are 100ish behind, tea in front and close a handy lead.

Just hope we bat the day out to give the bowlers a rest.

Bijed

International Regular
If Bairstow falls off a cliff/gets injured and they don't believe in Foakes in conditions where great keeping isn't the most necessary attribute then I could see him getting another go for sure.
Whilst I don't know if it would actually affect the selector's thinking anyway, Buttler has been poor in Limited Overs for a while now IIRC so even if he gets another go under a regime that should theoretically suit him more, it might just not lead to anything good anyway. I know Bazball =/= just play like it's an ODI/T20, but if he's stopped scoring runs in formats he's been previously great in then I wouldn't have much faith for a new chapter of his test career.

Could have been great for him in the past though given that it often felt like he just didn't know how to approach things in tests