• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The last time NZ played 2 consecutive tests with the same lineup - was 2 years ago in the last time South Africa toured for a 2 test series.
In that series NZ were missing their best batsman and bolwer (Kane and Boult) for the entire sequence series.

The image below, (if it is big enough to view), shows the stability of the team the last 2 years. Working backwards from the most recent test.

Top order has been stable with just a bit of disruption around Kane's fitness.

The bowling is in more of a flux. With Boult and CdG retirements, plus inuries. Plus playing in Asia and subsequently spinners coming in and out.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 12.29.07 PM.png

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How worried should we be about how inept the U19 batting has been? Forty three innings so far at twenty-eight of those have been ducks or single figure scores. Only 3 scores above 30. I know we've never been overly strong at this level but they seem to be out of their depth.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How worried should we be about how inept the U19 batting has been? Forty three innings so far at twenty-eight of those have been ducks or single figure scores. Only 3 scores above 30. I know we've never been overly strong at this level but they seem to be out of their depth.
Tbf, NZ's had some dreadful U19 teams over the years. The 2006 team got bowled out for 70 by Pakistan, and 2 years later we fielded probably our strongest U19 side ever. Probably not coincidentally, it was also one of our only U19 teams to get a full youth test and Odi series (v an India side fielding Kohli, Pujara, Jadeja, Rahane and Ishant).

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'd be interested to see a proper study into the correlation between U19 performance and future international success. Most players don't hit their physical peak until 23/24 so it must be fairly loose for countries with smaller talent pools (although obvs our Golden Generation goes against this theory)

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'd be interested to see a proper study into the correlation between U19 performance and future international success. Most players don't hit their physical peak until 23/24 so it must be fairly loose for countries with smaller talent pools (although obvs our Golden Generation goes against this theory)
They usually produce at least one international and several domestic players. Ones that stand out are the 1989 side that toured England and won their 'test' series. A guy from that side told me that Cairns bowling to Ramprakash in that series was the fastest bowling he's seen live. Aside from Cairns that side produced, Chris Harris, Adam Parore, Richardson, Pocock, Matt Hart and solid domestic players like John Aitken, Lorne Howell.

The 96 side that won a test in Australia and won a test series in England featured McMillan, Oram, Vettori, Sinclair, Bell, Hopkins.

Ghost75

The team around 91/92 was also pretty handy. Nash, Fleming, Astle, Stead, M Hart, R.Hart, Howell & Wilson all went onto the Black Caps. Justin Paul who played a handful of games for Otago was in the team. Anyone know if he's Cam Paul's dad? Also John Furlong who I seem to remember being touted as terrifyingly fast but injuries seemed to hit him pretty bad and he only played a few games for CD.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't necessarily tend to worry about it. These guys just don't face the sort of bowling they encounter at U19 World Cups - especially relating to spin. And yeah, as someone said other nations seem to mature at an earlier age. To be fair, I think the bowling looks just as threadbare, it just doesn't get exposed as badly.

Early days but yeah, there doesn't seem to be much that sticks out as looking international class early on - like a Trent, Tim, Kane, GP etc did.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I don't necessarily tend to worry about it. These guys just don't face the sort of bowling they encounter at U19 World Cups - especially relating to spin. And yeah, as someone said other nations seem to mature at an earlier age. To be fair, I think the bowling looks just as threadbare, it just doesn't get exposed as badly.

Early days but yeah, there doesn't seem to be much that sticks out as looking international class early on - like a Trent, Tim, Kane, GP etc did.
Yeah, quite a big contrast. In Southee's case he had already played in some ODI's against England before going to the 2008 under 19 WC, won player of the tournament, then made his test debut against England on his return. Anderson and Kane had played first class cricket. McMillan, Taylor, Ryder, Vincent all played 1st class cricket as teenagers although it might be harder to break into sides now.

I thought Stackpole looked quite good against Pakistan. One of the commentators last night thought Ewald Schreuder was very similar to Wagner.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The team around 91/92 was also pretty handy. Nash, Fleming, Astle, Stead, M Hart, R.Hart, Howell & Wilson all went onto the Black Caps. Justin Paul who played a handful of games for Otago was in the team. Anyone know if he's Cam Paul's dad? Also John Furlong who I seem to remember being touted as terrifyingly fast but injuries seemed to hit him pretty bad and he only played a few games for CD.
Yeah I remember this team, they toured India early that year (Dravid was India’s U19 captain) for tests and ODIs and got a fair amount of coverage. Heath Davis was another notable member of that side, was talked of as being one of the fastest in his age group. Richard Jones and Glen Sulzberger also made it to the national side. Astle wasn’t on that tour though he must have been in the World Cup.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It does concern me. Not so much that we lose at U19 level to the likes of India and Pakistan, but the way we've been mauled against those sides and haven't even competed as concerning.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It does concern me. Not so much that we lose at U19 level to the likes of India and Pakistan, but the way we've been mauled against those sides and haven't even competed as concerning.
Yeah, we basically minnows at this level. Not helped by our U6 attitude that everyone needs to get a bat and bowl, of course.

Be interesting to see how many of these guys make the grade at FC level. Or even get a shot at it.

Ghost75

Yeah, we basically minnows at this level. Not helped by our U6 attitude that everyone needs to get a bat and bowl, of course.

Be interesting to see how many of these guys make the grade at FC level. Or even get a shot at it.
I’d say most of them will get a shot domestic level in some form. I’ve had a look at our WC squads over the last 4/5 tournaments and count 14 players who haven’t played at that level yet. Most of them have been A team regulars or Hawke Cup but a few seem to have disappeared. Nic Lidstone was captain a few years ago and I don’t recall seeing anything about him since. Think he also played hockey so maybe went that route

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

The older I get the more I think this is actually the correct approach. Age group cricket is essentially just a competition to see who hit puberty first otherwise. You want to give guys a go and try to separate their innate talents from age based physical advantage which can be caught up on.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's tough work when you're 17 and he's 21.
Yeah I basically think it’s this, whether or not it’s literally true. It literally looked that way when I watched the game against Afghanistan - our guys seem like little dweebs and there wasn’t a guy in the Afghanistan team who didn’t look like a grown man. Getting into why that is feels like dicey territory, but suffice to say I think the evidence is that our cricketers tend to develop later and I guess that’s ok.