• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
heard boult is available to play against the Aussies in the tests if so is it a straight swap for henry even though hes bowling far better than southee?

Flem274*

123/5
John Bracewell thinks Tim Pringle is the most promising up and coming spinner. He said most spinners get smashed in the nets at training because (my paraphrase) every batsman is a hero at training. He noticed when watching Pringle that the ball was always going in the air around knee height when they tried to smash him, so he is optimistic for his future.

Ofc, he also pumped Macewell as the best spinner in the country lol but he was self aware about it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
John Bracewell thinks Tim Pringle is the most promising up and coming spinner. He said most spinners get smashed in the nets at training because (my paraphrase) every batsman is a hero at training. He noticed when watching Pringle that the ball was always going in the air around knee height when they tried to smash him, so he is optimistic for his future.

Ofc, he also pumped Macewell as the best spinner in the country lol but he was self aware about it.
Wow, that's a bold opinion. Isn't picked in FC cricket, and has been average in limited overs stuff. I'd have Santner Patel Sodhi Ashok Lennox Delport Rippon ahead of him.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Stead says they're considering Boult for the T20 series v Australia. Thoughts?
Going by the World Cup, after a diet of T20 leagues he's pretty much past it anyway. The attack we played against Pakistan did well. Why would you break that up to bring back someone who's looking ineffectual and must be close to retirement?

He made his choice. Our contracted players deserve first shot.

Talk of him in the test team is ludicrous.

Immenso

Stead says they're considering Boult for the T20 series v Australia. Thoughts?
I don't really care.

I'm not against still picking a player at his age/service who is free-lancing in white ball stuff. (No way he could handle test cricket anymore, though)

I assume he's still good? at T20? I only watch Super Smash so I'd have no idea.

He'd be available for the T20 world Cup in about 4 months (and then that would be it, I assume , international retirement). So if he's in the plans for 4 months time, then pick him. Or parachute him in to the T20 world cup team, and pick kids this JAM series. I don't care either way

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Going by the World Cup, after a diet of T20 leagues he's pretty much past it anyway. The attack we played against Pakistan did well. Why would you break that up to bring back someone who's looking ineffectual and must be close to retirement?

He made his choice. Our contracted players deserve first shot.

Talk of him in the test team is ludicrous.
For other formats sure, for T20Is I could see an exception being made for whoever is the best available, if they're available, gets picked.

Boult vs Australia is always a grandstand event imo.

Flem274*

123/5
This is just wishful thinking but..

Trent Boult is 'only' 34 and has a good build and record of long term fitness. He must have several mill in the bank by now, he could easily quit the dribble cricket at the end of this season and be set for life. If he wanted to make a comeback for 2-3 years and take an NZC contract to keep the bank happy, he could provide a bit more service in real cricket yet.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If he wants to spend time with his family then quit the T20 leagues and just play the home summers.

Saying he wanted to spend time with his family and then jet setting around the world chasing coin didn’t sit well with me.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think if a decision had been made last year to pick Boult for the England series (as they probably should've done given the injuries to KJ and Henry) then I'd be more open to him being considered again. But as it is, it's been nearly 2 years since he last played a test. Yes he's one of our greatest, but I'd really want to see him play at least one FC game for ND before turning out for NZ again. And i very much doubt that will ever happen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if a decision had been made last year to pick Boult for the England series (as they probably should've done given the injuries to KJ and Henry) then I'd be more open to him being considered again. But as it is, it's been nearly 2 years since he last played a test. Yes he's one of our greatest, but I'd really want to see him play at least one FC game for ND before turning out for NZ again. And i very much doubt that will ever happen.
Yeah, this is how I feel. If he'd played against England, when it was absolutely possible, fair enough - but his Test career is done as far as I'm concerned.

T20I wise, I'm happy for him to be picked because he plays franchise cricket, and I really don't care that much. But I wouldn't want him to elbow out a promising young player, at the same time

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
As a bare minimum, I wouldn't mind that much if he played a warmup for the NZ XI to get back into the red ball groove, but Australia isn't getting a warmup game, so even that opportunity isn't there, & PS doesn't start up again until the day of the 1st Test.

What I've always found a bit curious is that it was announced that he is on a "Casual Agreement", which amounts to something similar to a central contract, just with a smaller retainer & more flexible. I wondered if it was meant to just cover the WC campaign or if it was meant to be broader than that.

The Hutt Rec

As a bare minimum, I wouldn't mind that much if he played a warmup for the NZ XI to get back into the red ball groove, but Australia isn't getting a warmup game, so even that opportunity isn't there, & PS doesn't start up again until the day of the 1st Test.

What I've always found a bit curious is that it was announced that he is on a "Casual Agreement", which amounts to something similar to a central contract, just with a smaller retainer & more flexible. I wondered if it was meant to just cover the WC campaign or if it was meant to be broader than that.
It seems like he's played a lot less for us since he signed the casual agreement, which is weird haha.