• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What will Pat Cummins’ legacy be?

Coronis

International Coach
As a captain, he will end up in the 'good' captain categories of Steve Waugh, Clarke, etc. But outside the great captains of Chappell, Benaud and Taylor. Again, this may change with a major triumph but given that much of his all star crew is retiring, he may not get another change.
Which Chappell?

Ali TT

International Regular
Since Cummins "second debut" in 2017, Anderson has taken 223 wickets from 61 matches at 22.08; Cummins 251 wickets at 22.29 from 57 matches; Broad 236 at 26.33 from 65. Cummins has the best overall Ashes average (91@24); Broad 69@31; Anderson 30@36 but Anderson has the superior records in away Ashes - 26 v 27 v 36 (Anderson, Cummins, Broad).

More widely, Anderson averages 18.5 in Asia and 22.09 away from home (22.07 at home). Broad has barely played in Asia over that period and averages a bit more away than home (29 v 25). Cummins is basically a home track bully - average 19 at home, 27 away and 30 in Asia.

Burgey is correct to say Anderson only does well in favourable conditions - those conditions being anywhere in Europe (22.07), Asia (18.5), the Americas (24.5), Africa (19.88) and Oceania (23.9).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Cummins will finish behind McGrath and maybe Lillee in the pantheon of great Aussie fast bowlers by the time he is done…

Ali TT

International Regular
If McGrath and Lillee open the bowling for the Aussie all-time, does Cummins not have a strong case to come in first change? Or would he still be behind Lindwall, Spofforth and Davidson?

Coronis

International Coach
If McGrath and Lillee open the bowling for the Aussie all-time, does Cummins not have a strong case to come in first change? Or would he still be behind Lindwall, Spofforth and Davidson?
McGrath and Lindwall open for me, Davidson is first change. Lillee is part of the squad, cheering on Greg with Rod. Cummins could enter the picture in the future - we’ll see how his career goes.

(Note: I rate Davidson above Lindwall personally - I have him at first change as I believe Lindwall is a better foil for McGrath)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Cummins is easily my favorite Aussie cricketer ever behind Keith Miller (low bar though) so I'd love for him to end up as the greatest Australian bowler. Realistically though I think his ceiling is to barely make the Aus ATXI. They have such a stacked historical lineup. Off the top of my head, my lineup would have McGrath and Davidson take the new ball, Lillee and Cummins first change, and then Warne and Miller. Plenty of firepower there.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins is easily my favorite Aussie cricketer ever behind Keith Miller (low bar though) so I'd love for him to end up as the greatest Australian bowler. Realistically though I think his ceiling is to barely make the Aus ATXI. They have such a stacked historical lineup. Off the top of my head, my lineup would have McGrath and Davidson take the new ball, Lillee and Cummins first change, and then Warne and Miller. Plenty of firepower there.
So Davidson and Miller in the top 7?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Davidson yes, but Miller is the team as an all rounder. With that line up might not even be needed.

Might do Battle of the Australians Mk III once Cummins retires.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
I think no he won't. CW really does Lillee the dirtiest....
Yeah I think it's likely that Cummins will end up being ranked greater than Lillee in the CW hive mind and behind Lillee in popular consciousness (unless he has some more very special series) - but that's more demonstrative of the varying views there are on Lillee.