• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad seeing burgey spending his time on the forum these days having low quality back and forths with forum titans like andyhere and sunilz because no one else really engages him anymore. Even hb’s moved on.

It’s a bit like watching the ODI format trying to keep it’s relevance while losing it’s charm, the last of which has evaporated as of last night.
Now Daemon has engaged. Indian fans really hurting, shame on Burgey for his ungraciousness in victory

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Daemon just sad that the self made Jay Shah won't suck the AIDS out of AIDS babies for at least a week

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now Daemon has engaged. Indian fans really hurting, shame on Burgey for his ungraciousness in victory
I will continue to be gracious about Australia’s sixth World Cup win and 5th away from home. I will acknowledge India’s tournament was terrific until they had to go about the winning of it.

Barely read a post from the vanquished supporters today acknowledging how well Australia played. Never a thought given to India being junk because they were made to look it by a better team. If they played 10 JAMODIs in Dubai, India would win 7 or 8. If they played 10 WC finals anywhere around the world, Aus would win all of them.

Molehill

International Captain
I will continue to be gracious about Australia’s sixth World Cup win and 5th away from home. I will acknowledge India’s tournament was terrific until they had to go about the winning of it.

Barely read a post from the vanquished supporters today acknowledging how well Australia played. Never a thought given to India being junk because they were made to look it by a better team. If they played 10 JAMODIs in Dubai, India would win 7 or 8. If they played 10 WC finals anywhere around the world, Aus would win all of them.
Fair point, and perhaps Pandya was a big loss for them for more than just cricket reasons. His success in the IPL over the last couple of years showed him to be a good and calm leader. I think his presence would've helped a lot in the circumstances. Probably why 2011 needed Dhoni to get them over the line.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pains me to say it, but congrats Australia, saved the best to last and grabbed the key moments of the match. Head catching Rohit the key to me, another 10 overs of Rohit and the game could well have been gone. I thought Cummins was outstanding both with the ball and his bowling changes, undoubtedly his best game of the tournament.

Kind of funny seeing the scenes at the end, an empty stadium, the most awkward trophy presentation ever etc etc. Kind of got the ending the tournament deserved - it really wasn't a good one (only 1 game out of 48 still had something riding on it in the final over).
This is a skewed metric because it doesn't count South Africa V Pakistan as close, simply because the second innings didn't go the distance.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
That Travis Head could become such a monolithic player for Australia in important games was foreshadowed eight years ago in the domestic summer of 2015/16.

As a 21/22 year old in the space of three months he produced innings that won his team matches from unlikely situations in each format:
  • 202 (120) to chase 351 in the one-day cup.
  • 114 (150) in a 1-wicket win chasing 316 in the Sheffield Shield (maiden FC century).
  • The famous New Year's Eve hundred 101* (53) when the Strikers needed 51 off the last 3 overs.
Perhaps due to being blooded for the Redbacks very young, and entering in a tough era for batting, but mainly because of his attacking style and terrible conversion rate (he hit seventeen fifties before tonning up), Head's stats somewhat hid the calibre of the player he was.

Last edited:

Owzat

U19 Captain
This is a skewed metric because it doesn't count South Africa V Pakistan as close, simply because the second innings didn't go the distance.
regardless so few of the games were close, and yes I appreciate the "mathematically possible" brigade will argue that even with 1 wicket left and 10 overs to chase 70 it's possible a chasing side can still win, except that doesn't make a game close, if anything it's clutching at straws for something resembling close like debating how close the game got to the conclusion before aussies had nailed shut the Indian chances in a coffin (doesn't really matter if it was the 30th over, 35th, 40th or what, the game stopped being close and a contest long before the runs were chalked off

trying to quantify how many were close and how many weren't is a fool's errand, just look at how few games were won by 3-4 wickets or less and 50 or less runs, trying to make a 60 odd run margin sound close just reeks of desperation

Owzat

U19 Captain
I feel bad for Indian fans but India/BCCI losing is better for world cricket.
someone on yet another Have Your Say on the final/related matters was claiming it was bad for cricket, can't remember the full illogic but somehow if Indians being sore losers get put off because they didn't win then noone would play ODIs

BUT look at it this way :
- ODIs (and T20is) are accessible to non-Test nations
- a fairytale victory is what most can aspire to so seeing one side dominate and win 11/11 surely can't be good

I will say the subdued crowd did cricket and the fans themselves no favours, who wants to see such a poor sporting reception of, regardless what you think of aussies or that side, a top effort to topple the home side

was also somewhat surprised at how many turkeys were voting for Christmas in said HYS, wanting four groups of four and whilst it was FAF seeing India go out in such a format in 2007 (and Pakistan) it was not a good format, ok for football where basically there are so many groups that the top sides are almost certain to avoid such banana skins but not when you have like 8-10 (then) good sides give or take and 2-3 in a group compared to usually at most 1-2 in football