• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match #11 (D/N) - New Zealand vs Bangladesh - October 13th, Chennai

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is the most likely outcome tbh.
Do you truly? Ugh, it's not even my personal laptop, it's a work one.

I don't see how you can switch a guy's roles in that fashion and hope to get the best out of him. And we've already seen he doesn't suit the role. Nothing will convince me that's a stupid idea, unless he's going to be dropped altogether on flatter pitches and they think he's not in our best top order but should play at Chennai as a bowler. Which is actually more stupid.

Aritro

International Regular
Chennai might be a pitch that helps us, but then so was Dharamsala until they went and played on a different ****ing pitch. I'll give you short odds that they'll turn up today and realise they're playing three pitches over and it's made out of solid granite.

Congratulations New Zealand btw. Today was a seriously dominant display, and our batting had no hope of match the 450 you put on.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Think Chapman will be the unlucky one to miss out, part of me hopes they go something like this:

Conway
Ravindra
KW
Young
Latham
Mitchell
Phillips

Even though Phillips at 7 is criminally low.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't actually dispute that Chapman could be dropped, or should be. I love the guy, I rate him massively highly and let's be honest, you were all in awe of the continued faith I put in him and how I said he should be picked in the squad, then he was.

I will cop Phillips batting at 7, even though I said previously it's such a waste of one of the best LO batsmen in the world currently (he should float, and Latham should bat below him most times). But I won't cop Rachin there, when the balance is better when Young is dropped and Chapman/Neesham at 7.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see the point of Will Young at 4. Mitchell is a better 4, Latham is our keeper at 5, Phillips is better at 6. It is not a good selection. We bat long, we bat well, I get it that it would be a little bit harsh if Young was dropped, but to me he isn't in our best balanced XI now. And this is the guy who said something like never have we butchered a career and mistreated a talent worse than Will Young.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I don't see the point of Will Young at 4. Mitchell is a better 4, Latham is our keeper at 5, Phillips is better at 6. It is not a good selection. We bat long, we bat well, I get it that it would be a little bit harsh if Young was dropped, but to me he isn't in our best balanced XI now. And this is the guy who said something like never have we butchered a career and mistreated a talent worse than Will Young.
I mean it kinda means everyone bats in their natural position in my lineup (except GP of course). Mitchell's stats at 4 aren't amazing... yet. Although I do have faith they will become better.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean it kinda means everyone bats in their natural position in my lineup (except GP of course). Mitchell's stats at 4 aren't amazing... yet. Although I do have faith they will become better.
I think the Mitchell stats at 4 are misleading. He's scored runs at 3, 4 and 5. And we can look at him, and know he's quality. He can score middle overs runs, he can finish, he's the guy. He's certainly better than Will Young there. He's a big, big game player. I'm not convinced Will Young is. Conway is, Kane is, Latham...meh, Phillips will be, and Rachin did the job on a big stage the other night.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Just out of curiosity, why is Latham's position so safe instead of Chapman/Young/Ravindra? Is Conway's keeping that bad?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just out of curiosity, why is Latham's position so safe instead of Chapman/Young/Ravindra? Is Conway's keeping that bad?
In the 50 over format, likely yes. Furthermore he's our best batsman so wouldn't want to risk keeping for 50 overs affecting this.

There's a better argument for Phillips as keeper, although then you give up having superman in the field.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So you'd prefer to drop Young and keep Chapman at 7? I can live with that.
Yep.

No way we want Conway keeping for 50 overs. Latham is also vital for the next couple of games in Chennai on turn-friendly tracks, isn't a bad finisher, and also we should be floating him down as required (although we likely won't).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
In the 50 over format, likely yes. Furthermore he's our best batsman so wouldn't want to risk keeping for 50 overs affecting this.

There's a better argument for Phillips as keeper, although then you give up having superman in the field.
Oh yeah I forgot that Philips is a keeper too. They should absolutely bite the bullet and have him keep instead of Latham then. Gives a lot more fire-power at the end with both Philips and Chapman playing and Kane for Latham will be a like for like with both doing a similar role of stabilizing the line-up.