• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah fully agree. We need more Queensland teams but Gold Coast was never a good choice. Great place but professional sport isn't for every city. Ipswich would probably make more sense.
It’s the organisations not the city

the big bambino

International Captain
He was inconsistent last year but this year he was ruthless. Comp wide he was top 5 for offloads and tackle busts, probably the most assists and tries of any forward(as separate stats, if you combine those into one stat he's probably double the forward in second place) and all in a team that finished bottom 4.

Like if he's playing for Penrith he's Kikau on steroids.

Yet Penrith let Kikau loose. Probably because he wasn't worth what he's asking and overall he's better than Fifita. Fifita's had his best year and good on him but he's not top class. He'd be good off the bench in rep footy against a tired defence but would you even pick him in the first place against the talent available? Look who Penrith have - Leota, JFH, Martin, Yeo ... There's a reason Penrith have dominated the last 4 years. They don't have room for inconsistent players like Fifita has been up until now. You'd be mad to swap any one for him.

social

I know you live there but I don't think they've just coincidentally had like 20 bad organisations in a row.
Miami is home to some of America’s most successful sporting franchises and it’s just a big GC

What’s more the lifestyle here is no different to Cronulla, Manly, Newcastle etc

Gold Coast sporting franchises simply have a loooong history of mismanagement

Compare the approach taken by GWS to the Suns since their entry into the competition at the same time & it’s no surprise that only the former has been successful

social

Yet Penrith let Kikau loose. Probably because he wasn't worth what he's asking and overall he's better than Fifita. Fifita's had his best year and good on him but he's not top class. He'd be good off the bench in rep footy against a tired defence but would you even pick him in the first place against the talent available? Look who Penrith have - Leota, JFH, Martin, Yeo ... There's a reason Penrith have dominated the last 4 years. They don't have room for inconsistent players like Fifita has been up until now. You'd be mad to swap any one for him.
Fifita is 23 and an Origin regular

You’d do it in a heartbeat if salaries weren’t a consideration

Tart

U19 Vice-Captain
Fifita > Kikau as an idividual.
Kikau just looked better because he was on a great team.

Dave is probably never going to shake the inconsistent tag, but this was his best & most consistent year and he was ****ing great.

As for fitting him into Penrith line up, sure you wouldn't swap him for those you listed, mainly because most of them play a different position, but show me someone that would take Scott Sorensen over David Fifita and I'll show you a liar.

Kraken

State Captain

Dave is probably never going to shake the inconsistent tag, but this was his best & most consistent year and he was ****ing great.

As for fitting him into Penrith line up, sure you wouldn't swap him for those you listed, mainly because most of them play a different position, but show me someone that would take Scott Sorensen over David Fifita and I'll show you a liar.
haha of course you would take Fifita over Sorensen. However the better comparison is would you take Fifita over Martin, which I could see why some would, but I definitely wouldn’t imo

the big bambino

International Captain

Maybe they realise you can't get Fifita on Sorenson's wage and the comparison is with those I've listed. Fifita wants too much money for what he offers. Meaning he's over rated.

Son Of Coco

Been enjoying reading someone claiming Walsh was the better fullback in the GF (on a Facebook NRL group of course). A key piece of this puzzle is asking which made mistakes that contributed to their team losing? I don't think that player is Dylan Edwards.

I assume the poster is from QLD, but still. It's quite a take, especially when claiming Edwards is "essentially Glen Lazarus at fullback".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do think Walsh is better than Edwards but the grand final is a truly horrible piece of supporting evidence for that :laugh:

He had a shocker.

social

Yeah, basically a couple of brilliant moments doesn’t outweigh a hole heap of terrible stuff which cost his team dearly

Gnske

Saturday and Sunday combined just made it an awful weekend to be from QLD.

I still can't believe the Broncos bottled that. Who knows what Walsh and Riki were doing on that last Cleary try.

Son Of Coco

I do think Walsh is better than Edwards but the grand final is a truly horrible piece of supporting evidence for that :laugh:

He had a shocker.
Walsh is definitely better in attack but he needs to sort out some of the defensive stuff. Maybe he was a bit nervous on Sunday and that led to some of the errors he made. He's only 20, so he'll certainly have some more grand finals in him and will probably tear one up.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saturday and Sunday combined just made it an awful weekend to be from QLD.

I still can't believe the Broncos bottled that. Who knows what Walsh and Riki were doing on that last Cleary try.
The image of Walsh grasping at thin air as Cleary waltzed past him to score the winner is a thing of beauty, hopefully it haunts his fragile ego as Hunt's mistake in the GF v the Cowboys did for so many years. The kid's brain works a lot slower than his legs.

I think at the end of the day you had a club which has been through a lot and struggled for long periods having a great deal more pride and passion when it counted than a made-for-tv, manufactured franchise which has been gifted a virtual Origin squad every year since 1988. The Broncos (and the Drizzle) are everything that's bad about premiership footy in Australia.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you think Brisbane are heartbroken reports suggest Parra are signing Morgan Harper. The only outside back in the NRL whose defense makes Waqa Blake seem like peak Chris Mortimer.

social

Actually it’s not & is ancient history

“Brisbane” goes from northern NSW in the south to west of Ipswich and halfway to the Sunshine Coast in the north with no physical barriers in between

Might as well conclude that Penrith isn’t part of Sydney for all it’s worth

Anyway, fun fact

Cronulla racists are older than GC statistical area racists and it’s because the Gold Coast encompasses several thousand square kilometres

social

Anyway, back to rugby league

@pews is absolutely correct about Ipswich having a team

The place is like Penrith, one of the country’s fastest growing areas and rugby league heartland

The Dolphins should also have been made to build a stadium before granted entry & the government would have chucked money at it

Brisbane has the former ANZ stadium on that side of town and it’s a massive expanse of land

Sunshine Coast should be next