• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan vs Afghanistan in Sri Lanka 2023/24

slowfinger

International Debutant
And I don't blame the pitch BTW. I'm a big supporter of difficult batting wickets. I just thought there would be a bit of an actual contest on. Milling away at 3.5 RPO is just not good enough any more and I just don't think Pakistan batted very smartly especially at the start. Can't comment much on Afghanistan's batting but I know they're better than that, I was actually expecting Afg to win at the half way mark.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ultimately both sides did not bat smartly and almost were unable to adapt to the pitch. We saw a bit of fight once Pakistan were 4 down and it was the type of batting that was required, combative and dogged. I absolutely guarantee there is no chance India were letting that pitch make them score less than 300.
It doesn't take a whole lot to end up 4 down for not much on a tough wicket. Pakistan possibly left some runs out there but Afghanistan's spin bowlers are better suited to bowling in these conditions than England's or NZ's or Australia's. They bowled very well but the pace bowlers released some pressure. Pakistan's didn't and Afghanistan collapsed. They're probably worse against genuine pace than most sides but it was a top class effort from Pakistan. The fielding was great too. Hardly amateur hour.

Both sides were a lot better equipped to bowl on that deck than bat and it showed. Pakistan do have a problem accelerating against quality spin and Afghanistan have some major issues. They're a very top-heavy side and more like to be overwhelmed by brute pace than most sides. They also have that former minnow tendency to **** up from good positions like Ireland, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. But it still took a good effort to roll them over.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Lowest score : by others & Afg. Vs pak in ODI

2023 Afg- 59 vs pak
2003 Afg- 63 vs pak
1986 Nz -64 vs Pak
2018 zim -64 vs Pak
1990 NZ -74 vs pak
2002 SL -78 vs pak

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Lowest score : by others & Afg. Vs pak in ODI

2023 Afg- 59 vs pak
2003 Afg- 63 vs pak
1986 Nz -64 vs Pak
2018 zim -64 vs Pak
1990 NZ -74 vs pak
2002 SL -78 vs pak
Just as bad as Pakistan's lowest ODI scores

43 v W.I. 1993
71 v W.I. 1993
74 v N.Z. 2018
74 v Eng. 1992
75 v S.L. 2009

G. S. Kohli

Slowfinger
Why SL or whoever have back 2 back two game at the same venue were batsman struggle its real carnage of Batting team in 100 overs game

SL have many Better Ground than Hambantota or is it the rain Cause havoc?

Today is sunny day so wicket will be Dry well enough but i am looking forward to minimum 525 runs in 100 overs game than 260 for 19 wickets or so. ✍

May be tomorrow next game, whoever win toss Bowls

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Before he got picked he was smashing tons left, right and center in domestic List A and 50 over A team matches for like 2 years. He's a terrific runner between the wickets, dominates spin and picks gaps against pacers very well. There's no reason why he won't be a quality middle order batsman in ODIs. It's not his fault Pakistan play very few ODIs. Even today he looked like the most fluent batsman before he copped a very good ball and a very harsh umpire's call. Plus he's very mentally tough too.
He mostly batted in Top order in those matches.

I compare him with Rohit who was having below avg ODI career as a MO batter. After retirement of SRT, Sehwag & Gambhir, he started opening & now he is ATG opener in ODI format.

G. S. Kohli

Afghanistan already scored more than 50% ( 1st ODI 59/10) runs in 2nd game after winning toss

35/0 off 6 ovs
Ibrahim Zadran technically better opener in asian sub continent but i do not know why he is so down to earth on 1st power play with limited Fielding Restriction

Ibrahim z 10 not out, Next ovs will be last for 1st power play 45/0

G. S. Kohli

201/0 off 36 overs Afghanistan

mr. Moderator
afghanistan milking Quality attack of pakistan under bright Sunshine.

100 for Gurbaz & my Favourite Ibrahim Zadran on 75*

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Shadab's bowling is an asset in T20s where batsmen go after him, but his bowling is not effective in ODIs. In last 4years, he avgs 44 with SR of 48 in ODIs whereas fingerspinner SLA Nawaz avgs 26 with SR of 34 in same period.

Shadab & Usama Mir have similar avgs in ODIs. Considering WC is in India where fingerspinners are generally successful, we should drop one of them, preferably Mir, for Nawaz.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

Shadab's bowling is an asset in T20s where batsmen go after him, but his bowling is not effective in ODIs. He avgs 44 with SR of 48 in ODIs whereas fingerspinner SLA Nawaz avgs 26 with SR of 34 in same period.

Shadab & Usama Mir have similar avgs in ODIs. Considering WC is in India where fingerspinners are generally successful, we should drop one of them, preferably Mir, for Nawaz.
He just removed Ibrahim

G. S. Kohli

If Afghanistan go for 10 run or so per over 315-320 pakistan have to chase

( even if Afghan loose wicket in next 11 overs )

226/0

227/1

Gurbaz need 15 more for next milestone

8 overs 40 Shadab is good

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gurbaz was brilliant. Took the pacers on very confidently and hooked with authority. Very well paced knock too. You'd expect more runs after being 225/0 but a lot of times teams lose a flurry of wickets as they look to accelerate after a good start. Thought Pakistan bowled well at the death though. Fakhar Zaman is the key wicket in the run chase.