• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Retaining the Trophy"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would be even better, really. "You got a near double century from a lad that bats like a fence post and still lost the series". The messages nearly write themselves.
Series isn’t lost if this is drawn, dummy. Let’s discuss over a bacon butty at Barrow away

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
In no other series does anyone celebrate retaining the trophy. It was funny in the Women's Ashes hearing Mel Jones (who I normally respect) mention the retention so often during the final defeat.

I get the tradition of the Ashes and what it means, but in these circumstances, I doubt the Aussies will be celebrating much should the rain come to their rescue. And I suspect it will help them if they don't at The Oval.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flip it though and if this was the boxing day test with the Aussies on top and us 2-1 up, we'd all be delighted if it rained for two days
Tbf though, in 2013 I was much happier when we won at Durham than that washed out last day at OT.

Ali TT

International Regular
Tbf though, in 2013 I was much happier when we won at Durham than that washed out last day at OT.
Yep, and had we lost at the SCG in 2011, it would've felt a like an opportunity lost even though we'd still have retained the Ashes.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fairness I’m seeing less emphasis on trophy retaining than I did in 2019. I think the talk about how long it’s been since Australia won in England has shifted the dial. And also this Australia side will want to go one better than the 2019 side.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way this test added to that as well. If they had won this match to retain I think it would have been fairly similar to 2019.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In fairness I’m seeing less emphasis on trophy retaining than I did in 2019. I think the talk about how long it’s been since Australia won in England has shifted the dial. And also this Australia side will want to go one better than the 2019 side.
How they actually did it this time probably contributes, too.

In 2019 they secured it with a big win, so celebration would have felt more apt at the time. Securing it with a very rain-affected draw that you were comprehensively outplayed in doesn't really lend itself to cracking the champers.

Ali TT

International Regular
How they actually did it this time probably contributes, too.

In 2019 they secured it with a big win, so celebration would have felt more apt at the time. Securing it with a very rain-affected draw that you were comprehensively outplayed in doesn't really lend itself to cracking the champers.
Given the **** weather, I'd be cracking open the champers just to pass the time