• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Retaining the Trophy"

Molehill

International Captain
Don't forget the moral victory too, which they have promptly celebrated for the fifth test in a row
I just saw Gower and Adam Collins interviewed on Breakfast TV here. It was a painful watch. The mainstream media are all over the "yeah but we'd have won it but for rain in Manchester". Fortunately, Gower very quickly set them straight that rain has impacted cricket for 200 odd years. The whole 'moral' thing doesn't come from cricket fans at all.....it's ***** like Piers Morgan.

I celebrated winning a great Test Match and drawing a superb series. I don't really care too much for the whole 'retaining' thing. It's a draw, just like it would be any other series. I take more pleasure in knowing that it'll be another 4 years that Australia have failed to win in England.

I also think moving forward that the Aussie Team now has more questions to answer than Joe Root at a racism inquiry!

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Retaining the ashes Is great feat because it's in England if it was Australia heads would roll.

Australia Retaining the ashes twice in a row in England is Amazing.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Which team o

Which team cowardly ordered docile pitches?

Deliberate pitch doctoring to create made to order pitches, which are not typically of the pitch's normal characteristics, is obviously now within the spirit of the game.
All home teams prepare pitches to suit their own team, it's part if home advantage. I don't know why you'd call that cowardly.

The talk on here before the series was that we'd need green tops to win, otherwise we'd never get your batting line up out. If we'd done that we'd have been accused of doctoring the pitches.

The pitches produced were generally good cricket wickets and were no different than we've produced for the last few years - long before Stokes and Mc Cullum were in charge.

Just face the facts, we played alot better than most Aussies predicted and you know that we should have won the series so are clutching at the straws with pitches to justify why things didn't go as you expected.

Exactly what sort of pitches did you want?

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Absolute horse**** concept, should be dumped into the deep ocean. A draw is a draw and a win is a win.
I tend to agree. I couldn't care less about it, it's like a consolation prize.

There are winners...and then there is everyone else.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How is it not?
Home advantage is (or should be) the fact that one team largely plays in those conditions and is used to them. Obviously variables like the weather during the season when pitches are being prepared comes into it too, but in my opinion curators should just be putting out the best pitch they can taking these variables into account.

When you get captains ordering certain types of pitches, you're taking one variable both teams don't have input into and skewing it, potentially massively, in one team's favour before a ball has even been bowled. It clearly depends on the extent to which it is done and the makeup of the two teams as to whether it plays a big part in the game, but I don't think it's a great look. It can potentially diminish the contest before it has even started.

Of course, all teams can just say nothing and do it anyway, but it's not a part of the game I like. It's probably only in instances where a pitch has been blatantly altered that it becomes obvious something weird is going on.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Someone has to decide which pitch is best and according to what criteria though.
That someone can be the curator, aided by something - the traditional conditions of the ground + the weather conditions that season.

That's very different to someone coming in and ordering a particular type of wicket.

I'd be surprised if anyone genuinely suggested curators are employed to do their job as professionals and are then waiting around for someone who isn't to tell them what to do.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching his interview looked like a bloke that couldn’t give a crap about a drawn series to be fair looked like he wanted to be at the bar as soon as possible
Yeah I’ve noticed that a lot about Stokes late in his career. He plays like it means everything, but then as soon as it’s done he seems to immediately put into perspective that it’s not actually important enough to get too excited or upset over. The interviews after going 2-0 down were so chilled out too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I’ve noticed that a lot about Stokes late in his career. He plays like it means everything, but then as soon as it’s done he seems to immediately put into perspective that it’s not actually important enough to get too excited or upset over. The interviews after going 2-0 down were so chilled out too.
I think this is actually a very healthy attitude to have to sport tbh.