• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

loterry1994

International Debutant
I know England won’t do it but they could try see off new ball the first 15 overs as well as starc, Cummins and hazlewood then get into the other bowlers once aus main 3 are off

halba

International 12th Man
#spooked. :p

But game nicely setup after day 1 here. I feel 300 is par and Aus are probably going to be +20 of that, at least. And if the cloudy conditions come up when England bat, it could be a tough game for them from there.
300 is well under par. Needed 400 for a 1st innings

Going to be 3-2 ashes win IMHO for England which is fair considering the weak Aus batting.

subshakerz

International Coach
300 is well under par. Needed 400 for a 1st innings

Going to be 3-2 ashes win IMHO for England which is fair considering the weak Aus batting.
I think at some point we have to give credit to the doggedness of this English bowling lineup, especially Broad who has been consistently quality. They haven't let the pressure slip so they have managed to break partnerships that other teams wouldn't. It isn't a weak or out of form Aussie lineup.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Can anyone explain more about that stat they were talking about when captains win the toss and bowl first here and how they lose often . Have many teams have even chosen to bowl first here.

Boags

Cricket Spectator
If you lot win the Ashes (oh god it hurts to type), Broad surely rides off into the sunset. Not that he doesn't have more to give, more that this would be his perfect ending so to speak
Sure, it's the 'fairytale' ending, but I don't think he'd retire unless he wanted to do franchise cricket for a few years. He's fit and he's still a quality bowler, all he really has to do is stay in shape and play a handful of test matches a year, and he's getting paid pretty well for that.

Qlder

International Debutant
Can anyone explain more about that stat they were talking about when captains win the toss and bowl first here and how they lose often . Have many teams have even chosen to bowl first here.
This is the 11th test at OT that a team won the toss and bowled. So this will be the 11th time they didn't win 😀

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
I think we're using different words to describe the same fielding position lol
I will have to remind this one. And at some point ask my bowlers whether they prefer a deep backward point, or rather a squarish 3rd man.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great catch by Bairstow, he does those often though, misses regulation stuff all the time too 🙄

Aussies looking for 350, we are looking at under 320 and batting well. Should be a good day. Bringing Anderson back failed. Last game?

Qlder

International Debutant
Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
This is the 11th test at OT that a team won the toss and bowled. So this will be the 11th time they didn't win 😀
As far as I can tell, 9 of those were draws. Only Australia winning in 1993 for a match remembered for something else was a defeat for the team inserting.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Forecast for the rest of the Test

Today - Dry, No issues
Friday - Showers Late morning/Early Afternoon but fine for rest of day
Saturday - Rain all Day :(
Sunday - Rain Morning. Showers in Afternoon

Not looking good. It's a high chance that Australia will retain the Ashes

Qlder

International Debutant
As far as I can tell, 9 of those were draws. Only Australia winning in 1993 for a match remembered for something else was a defeat for the team inserting.
Before this time, 10 Tests, 0 wins, 3 losses and 7 draws (I already posted the last example of West Indies inserting and losing above)

Spark

Global Moderator
Forecast for the rest of the Test

Today - Dry, No issues
Friday - Showers Late morning/Early Afternoon but fine for rest of day
Saturday - Rain all Day :(
Sunday - Rain Morning. Showers in Afternoon

Not looking good. It's a high chance that Australia will retain the Ashes
Interesting twist is that the forecast is so poor that it might not even benefit England to get enough gametime in to finish anyway - I don't think chasing 250-ish under heavy clouds and lights sounds like a fun time.

Molehill

International Captain
Before this time, 10 Tests, 0 wins, 3 losses and 7 draws (I already posted the last example of West Indies inserting and losing above)
Thanks, for some reason Crapinfo has decided not to include the toss result for the last 10 or so matches at OT.

I feel fairly certain we'll be adding another onto the draw stats with this one.