• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

91Jmay

International Coach
Part of that is because we have a heap of bats full stop. It really is such an unusual lineup for an Aus team
I wasn't really counting Marsh who I think was the falsest of false dawns and Green who has looked in mentally weird place.
Head, Labu, Smith (sort of). I have never particularly rated Carey with the bat but he has been awful outside of one knock so you'd expect a bit more.

Spark

Global Moderator
I wasn't really counting Marsh who I think was the falsest of false dawns and Green who has looked in mentally weird place.
Head, Labu, Smith (sort of). I have never particularly rated Carey with the bat but he has been awful outside of one knock so you'd expect a bit more.
Marsh is obviously limited but in the right circumstances he's probably the most dangerous batsman in this whole lineup because of how ****ing hard he hits the damn thing. He's about the last bloke you want coming in on a true pitch - which is what OT usually is - with a platform if it's not moving around.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Still saying that if Smith finds Wood?
If you choose to bowl not having the opposition 3 or 4 down before lunch is a win for the other team.

Bowling first you want to get the team for 200 or under. Otherwise pretty much no point.

Aus have scored very well and pushing the 1,2 and 3s a lot better than they have been. We’ve built up no pressure.

This is smelling very much like lords only Aus scoring a lot better. We let them off the hook at Headingley too.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you choose to bowl not having the opposition 3 or 4 down before lunch is a win for the other team.

Bowling first you want to get the team for 200 or under. Otherwise pretty much no point.

Aus have scored very well and pushing the 1,2 and 3s a lot better than they have been. We’ve built up no pressure.

This is smelling very much like lords only Aus scoring a lot better. We let them off the hook at Headingley too.
Yeah usually England manages to rifle Australia out at least once a series in England. Really thought that would happen at Headingley but Marsh and Root saw otherwise and these don't quite look the conditions to me. Swing, but it's all early swing straight from the hand.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer

You aren't knocking Aussies over that cheap

91Jmay

International Coach
Marsh is obviously limited but in the right circumstances he's probably the most dangerous batsman in this whole lineup because of how ****ing hard he hits the damn thing. He's about the last bloke you want coming in on a true pitch - which is what OT usually is - with a platform if it's not moving around.
His forward defense is so bad unless we decide to throw him on the ground like last test or bounce him like morons I am not concerned. Could come back to bite me but the positions he gets in trying to block it are just hilarious

Spark

Global Moderator
His forward defense is so bad unless we decide to throw him on the ground like last test or bounce him like morons I am not conceded. Could come back to bite me but the positions he gets in trying to block it are just hilarious
Oh it's awful but he's in serious nick the last six months or so and obviously he's confident, which is hugely important - why he's looked so much better than the far more technically correct Green.

He's also probably the one bloke who looks at Wood and immediately sees run-scoring opportunities without any real fear.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good shot but I'm not going to pretend I didn't have a minor heart attack when I saw Smith about to play it

91Jmay

International Coach
If they'd have tried that at Headingly a bit more they would have won, rather than just blocking him. He bowled well but it was very odd especially a bowler down.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His forward defense is so bad unless we decide to throw him on the ground like last test or bounce him like morons I am not concerned. Could come back to bite me but the positions he gets in trying to block it are just hilarious
What if he doesn’t block though..

1689767696751.jpeg

Spark

Global Moderator
If they'd have tried that at Headingly a bit more they would have won, rather than just blocking him. He bowled well but it was very odd especially a bowler down.
He gave them opportunities too! There must have been at least half a dozen obvious boundary balls - rank long hops or full tosses - which weren't hit to the fence, or over it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyway it's pretty obvious that Australia don't think this game is going its natural length either and have no intention of playing out a draw.