• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
In hindsight I don't know which is more stupid. Going into a Test at Old Trafford without a spinner. Or winning the toss and bowling on a nice sunny day when the pitch looks like a road - based on an actual weather forecast. Oh wait not in hindsight.

Preed

U19 12th Man
Rubbish bowling .why oh why is Ali bowling already.Smith looks like a century andhis partnership with labuschange will probably take win option away.Is Anderson finished as he seems to have lost the knack of taking wickets

mackembhoy

International Debutant
was going to post something similar, if you insert a team you really need to be taking wickets. Not sure "200 or under" is necessarily as low as you need to go, but should be looking to bowl them all out or nearly all out by close of play

it's ironic that for all the England bazball blah blah blah they choose to bowl which doesn't guarantee control, not that batting first does but most times batting first gets best use of the pitch and if you don't make good inroads can be a long way back.

I more or less knew they'd bowl if winning the toss, score fewest runs needed to win (one more than opposition) but attacking would be bat the opposition out of the game, maybe even try to bat just the once - you can only enforce the follow on batting first

interesting on beeb

How's stat?!
Cricket statistician on Test Match Special

This is only the fifth match in which a team has used four pace bowlers aged 33 or over.

New Zealand did it for three games in the 80s and then you've got to go back to Brisbane in 1928/29, which was Don Bradman's debut.
Sorry I should have really added with the rain about and England need to win the game to save the Ashes. We needed really to bowl these out sub 200.

Their more likely to put on 300+ and Ashes over.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if they feel like they have to bowl Australia out in 60 overs because it's like they were going for magic balls every over.
Did feel like trying too hard, but then Jimmy was the only one bowling good, old-fashioned consistent line and length, and he didn't get any reward. So dunno.

Molehill

International Captain
That pitch didn't exactly scream bowl first. Seems the only reason you would is because of weather later in the match and trying to force a result. But that looked a bat first pitch all day long and it's already looking like a draw.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did feel like trying too hard, but then Jimmy was the only one bowling good, old-fashioned consistent line and length, and he didn't get any reward. So dunno.
This is basically 80% of Anderson's career against Australia though. He's always actually bowled reasonably tidily but apart from a few scattered performances and outliers, always struggled to take wickets - even in the first two Tests he didn't really go for runs, just couldn't take any poles.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean we should have at Headingley or did you not watch that game?
Remember kids, only England fail to take every chance in every game or play junk shots. Every other side plays at their absolute best every single game against them, takes every single chance and occasionally only just beats them.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
This is basically 80% of Anderson's career against Australia though. He's always actually bowled reasonably tidily but apart from a few scattered performances and outliers, always struggled to take wickets - even in the first two Tests he didn't really go for runs, just couldn't take any poles.
Didn't James Anderson once concede 26 in one over or something like that vs George Bailey ?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’ve got a great plan that will help England to win. I don’t want to publicise it too heavily though.

Get Smith Out