• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't understand the treatment Hazelwood is getting considering he's been Australia's best bowler bar Cummins for the last 5/6 years and the next coming of Glenn McGrath himself. I'd hate to play against him even if he wasn't 100%
Rarely fit in last couple of years

He was rested for last test not

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Molehill

International Captain
It really does make me wonder what all the hangers-on around the dressing room like Vettori are for. You'd think that someone in one of those roles could research this stuff as devotedly as us cricket nerds.
Same for England. It's a well known stat that Khawaja is more likely to nick off when bowling over the wicket to him (see WTC Final), yet so much has been around the wicket because seemingly it works for Warner.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I don't understand the treatment Hazelwood is getting considering he's been Australia's best bowler bar Cummins for the last 5/6 years and the next coming of Glenn McGrath himself. I'd hate to play against him even if he wasn't 100%
this statement would have been unequivocally true three years ago but the bloke has barely played in recent times

social

Same for England. It's a well known stat that Khawaja is more likely to nick off when bowling over the wicket to him (see WTC Final), yet so much has been around the wicket because seemingly it works for Warner.
And forget about tragics like us, the Australians have former test captains at the ground commentating and everyone is saying how dumb our tactics are & same must go for England

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I certainly think we've overdone the around the wicket bowling to Khawaja. Yes Broad can trouble left handers but we should be concentrating on over the wicket to him, particularly early on in his innings.

Molehill

International Captain
And forget about tragics like us, the Australians have former test captains at the ground commentating and everyone is saying how dumb our tactics are & same must go for England
And yet, for the most part, it's actually working, mainly because the batsmen are being stupid enough to fall for such tactics.

Spark

Global Moderator
And yet, for the most part, it's actually working, mainly because the batsmen are being stupid enough to fall for such tactics.
I think people here have accepted that defensive tactics are going to be employed and that they're effective. But there are certain ways in which those tactics are being implemented, most notoriously to the tail, but also to England's openers, which just doesn't make sense even in that framework.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
If it's truly going to be wet and stormy like the long range forecast suggests, including Neser for Murphy at eight wouldn't be a terrible shout. Neser can swing the ball and strengthening the batting in a potentially rained shortened match might force England's hand just a bit more. If it's looking clear, I don't think we can risk going in without a spinner... then again the risk is mitigated if we really play both Marsh and Green. Interesting conundrum for Australia.

Starfighter

Good signs - at least as far as his potential to be selected goes - as Neser has gotten a wicket with a bouncer.
Bowling a bit quicker too, - at least Essex bowling quicker compared to van der Gugten than he was when they previously bowled together, and considering that the CC speed guns under read by a couple of mph.

Is bowling very straight though, pretty much nothing outside off stump. Might be because of pitch being dead after drying out, but it ain't the stuff to nick Crawley off with.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bowling a bit quicker too, - at least Essex bowling quicker compared to van der Gugten than he was when they previously bowled together, and considering that the CC speed guns under read by a couple of mph.

Is bowling very straight though, pretty much nothing outside off stump. Might be because of pitch being dead after drying out, but it ain't the stuff to nick Crawley off with.
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into his line in this game. In fact if he's bowling consistently straight -and, crucially, to a field - rather than throwing one or two on leg stump every over then I'm less concerned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They’re just offering the inevitable chances which come from playing the way they do. You can’t throw your hands at five balls an over then be surprised when you miss/ mistime one sooner rather than later.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Will just leave this here...I know it's Piers and he's a sub-human parasite, but I still think it's funny.

“Now it looks very different – you’ve got a rattled captain, you’ve got a wicketkeeper who can’t catch a cold,” he said.

“Old Trafford will be like a colosseum – we will be the gladiators and you will be our victims.”

A keeper who can't catch a cold :laugh: Someone ought to point out to him that both teams are in white and the thick-set ginger guy plays for his side, England, not Australia