• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
OK I see how this is going now

Get rid of Warner, Marnus, Boland and Murphy, play Henry Hunt, Daniel Drew, Spencer Johnson and Ben Manenti instead

In all seriousness though, my actual opinion remains the same, no need to do anything too left field

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Never mind whether he replaces Hazlewood, play him at #7!

Though Mitch Swepson making a run a ball 69 does make me wonder about the bowling on show...

It's an ECB conspiracy to trick Australia into chopping and changing their XI unnecessarily.

Spark

Global Moderator
He also didn't exactly set the world on fire in the two games he's had. Like most of them he was guilty of bowling too full and too straight.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He also didn't exactly set the world on fire in the two games he's had. Like most of them he was guilty of bowling too full and too straight.
Hideous bouncer tactics aside, the Australian bowlers really have been good at making it easy for batsmen who are already strong at getting across and working it on the leg side.

I feel like all our right arm bowlers tend to slant it in - Cummins and Boland certainly do
Hazlewood doesn't so much when he has his outswinger going, but he hasn't bowled it much iirc.

Trouble is Neser's best delivery is his inswinger which is not so optimal, though intelligent field settings will gain catches off it. A fit Richardson would be nice (so long as he doesn't bowl short like at Adelaide), but that's not happening in the immediate future.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hideous bouncer tactics aside, the Australian bowlers really have been good at making it easy for batsmen who are already strong at getting across and working it on the leg side.

I feel like all our right arm bowlers tend to slant it in - Cummins and Boland certainly do
Hazlewood doesn't so much when he has his outswinger going, but he hasn't bowled it much iirc.

Trouble is Neser's best delivery is his inswinger which is not so optimal, though intelligent field settings will gain catches off it. A fit Richardson would be nice (so long as he doesn't bowl short like at Adelaide), but that's not happening in the immediate future.
It's annoyed me most to Crawley. Everyone knows he's a nicker who pushes at balls he should be leaving because they're so wide outside off stump, why are we feeding his safest scoring zone by constantly bowling on his pads?

Starfighter

It's annoyed me most to Crawley. Everyone knows he's a nicker who pushes at balls he should be leaving because they're so wide outside off stump, why are we feeding his safest scoring zone by constantly bowling on his pads?
You know my line about fast bowlers being dumb?

Molehill

International Captain
I will be surprised if it’s not simply Haze for Boland

Winning team etc
Yep, for all that both teams have issues all around the place, it seems nailed on that they'll both just rotate one seamer. I guess Green for Marsh is the one other potential change for Aus.

halba

International 12th Man
All-rounder Glenn Maxwell also enjoyed a strong county performance after four years away, lashing 81 in 67 balls on his Warwickshire debut in a massive win over Kent.

Can he bowl instead of murphy? Including neser- all rounders heaven

We could bat up to no.9

Potential best XI

Green
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Neser
Starc
Cummins

Starfighter

To add a bit more here, you made a comment about it feeling like Australia's field settings and bowling tactics have been decided by committee when it comes to the bouncer stuff.

Not only that, but to me it feels like it they haven't done their research either. It's hardly a secret that Crawley's a nicker, Starc should be able to get him every time by going across him. Same with Stokes, he doesn't like it outside off, especially not with his injures reducing his mobility. Yet they went around the wicket and bowled short. Frankly stupider than Lawson and Hogg trying to bounce Richards out.

While I think they can be somewhat forgiven for bowling short to Woakes because the bloke often looks like he's about to die when anyone does so, but they should have not overdone it especially as the score climbed. But if they really had done their research they would know Wood is handy for runs, especially with the cross bat strokes.

It really does make me wonder what all the hangers-on around the dressing room like Vettori are for. You'd think that someone in one of those roles could research this stuff as devotedly as us cricket nerds.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I don't understand the treatment Hazelwood is getting considering he's been Australia's best bowler bar Cummins for the last 5/6 years and the next coming of Glenn McGrath himself. I'd hate to play against him even if he wasn't 100%

Starfighter

I don't understand the treatment Hazelwood is getting considering he's been Australia's best bowler bar Cummins for the last 5/6 years and the next coming of Glenn McGrath himself. I'd hate to play against him even if he wasn't 100%
Frankly, most of us are sick of him breaking down in the middle of matches.