• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test (Headingley, Leeds) 6–10 July

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So we’re expecting Boland for Hazelwood and Marsh for Green?

Feels like a weaker side
Haze was pretty average at Lord's tbh. Was ok first test though. Won't lose much with Boland if it's seaming. If Aus want to troll hard they could play Neser instead and run with a ridiculous tail with Cummins at 10.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haze was pretty average at Lord's tbh. Was ok first test though. Won't lose much with Boland if it's seaming. If Aus want to troll hard they could play Neser instead and run with a ridiculous tail with Cummins at 10.
It usually swings at Leeds, if Neser's going to play anywhere it should be here IMO.

I hate the Marsh/Green swap. Green hasn't bowled a lot yet so shouldn't be burnt out and as meh as he's been so far this series he's clearly better than Marsh and still far more likely to make an impact. I'd probably even prefer Neser at 7 to Marsh.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It usually swings at Leeds, if Neser's going to play anywhere it should be here IMO.

I hate the Marsh/Green swap. Green hasn't bowled a lot yet so shouldn't be burnt out and as meh as he's been so far this series he's clearly better than Marsh and still far more likely to make an impact. I'd probably even prefer Neser at 7 to Marsh.
I hope the Marsh/Green swap is a joke and not reality. Would like to see Neser too, especially given his recent form in the UK. Sitting on his arse with the squad isn't going to help much though.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Maybe one of the batsman is injured?? Only Harris and Marsh as batting coverage....
Surely they are not thinking of Marsh over Murphy?? (Green, Marsh, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Boland ) Australia almost always plays a frontline spinner, so I can't see that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe one of the batsman is injured?? Only Harris and Marsh as batting coverage..
I just read that Green is suffering some soreness, and it might be the case that he can't bowl. This explains Marsh coming in I guess. As others have said, I wonder if Neser couldn't play the role?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Green is actually injured it makes a lot more sense, but I'd prefer Neser. Marsh probably wouldn't have been included in the squad at all if he wasn't going to play in the event of a Green injury though.

Burgey

If Green is carrying any sort of injury he shouldn't be risked at all. He's about the rarest of commodities in cricket. No point risking turning in him into a medium paced plodder long term by playing him here if he's remotely sore. Rest him so he's still bowling 140 plus in two years, not back a MMarsh/ Stokes/ late career Watto pace levels.

MMarsh has an annoying (for them) habit of owning the Poms anyway.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Marsh playing weakens the batting, so maybe a chance if he does play, that they play Neser over Boland

Marsh, Carey, Neser, Starc, Cummins, Murphy sounds better than Marsh, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Murphy, Boland

Qlder

International Debutant
Marsh playing weakens the batting, so maybe a chance if he does play, that they play Neser over Boland
Don't see how Marsh weakens the batting as Green has done stuff all. In fact Green has the least runs from either top 7 (plus Cummins has more batting 8/9)

Shri

Mr. Glass
if this turns out to be a 3-4 day test, the mitchell marsh selection is not going to hurt or help anyone

Spark

Global Moderator
Play them both. Cummins bats ten and England has a snowflake's chance in hell of taking 20 wickets.
Yeah this seems the obvious solution to me. Contra @Qlder I think anyone who has followed their careers - or even frankly watched their techniques - can doubt that MMarsh is a significant downgrade on Green with the bat but if they pick Neser as well then there's not much lost.

They won't do that though. As Starfighter has said, they have a pecking order and they pretty religiously stick to it.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah this seems the obvious solution to me. Contra @Qlder I think anyone who has followed their careers - or even frankly watched their techniques - can doubt that MMarsh is a significant downgrade on Green with the bat but if they pick Neser as well then there's not much lost.

They won't do that though. As Starfighter has said, they have a pecking order and they pretty religiously stick to it.
Yeah that's probably right but tbh if it's green and overcast, Boland will own anyway and England won't make enough. They've lost about 8/60 odd in cloudy conditions in the series so far, and they've lost to injury the only bloke in their top three who has some reputation for being able to handle those sort of conditions . #notuptoitnotupforit