• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test (Headingley, Leeds) 6–10 July

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Yeah Mitchell Marsh played one of the best innings I've seen in recent years and deserves to hold his place but I really liked the development they had with Green. It's kind of weird because Green has done **** all in UK so far but had it been Green left with Head going in to the 3rd day, I may have felt more confident. Just don't think MMarsh can survive much playing conventionally
I just don't think Marsh deserves to be dropped. Green's development won't stall that much from missing another game, he'll still have gained lots of experience from this tour. From an English perspective, I'd be delighted if Marsh was dropped for Green. Sometimes a player fits into a series, especially The Ashes, and you get an unlikely hero.

What would be hilarious is if Warner was dropped but then Broad was rested!

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that so far, based on results, he is way overrated and perceived "potential" is obviously influencing selectors and allowing what is really a mediocre return so far, to fly under the radar.
As Spark was pretty clearly saying, the "mediocre return" you speak of is somewhat of an overstatement on your behalf

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I get the feeling a lot of the condemnation of Cam Green comes from the viewing of his cricinfo profile rather than his career.

No one is saying he's Jacques Kallis but in a side with three top quality seamers and a world class spinner, having a guy who bowls 140 and can wack it is a pretty nice luxury. Hes done plenty to justify his spot,just probably not as consistently as he or others would like. No chance Australia throw away an asset like him after 20 Tests. If you talk up Marsh, Green's hundred in India deserves the same PR.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There’s no way Green’s ton in India is in the same league as Marsh’s one last week.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
I get the feeling a lot of the condemnation of Cam Green comes from the viewing of his cricinfo profile rather than his career.

No one is saying he's Jacques Kallis but in a side with three top quality seamers and a world class spinner, having a guy who bowls 140 and can wack it is a pretty nice luxury. Hes done plenty to justify his spot,just probably not as consistently as he or others would like. No chance Australia throw away an asset like him after 20 Tests. If you talk up Marsh, Green's hundred in India deserves the same PR.
Not talking up anyone, especially Marsh (could have made a good no. 8 if his bowling was better) but credit where it's due, Marsh's ton is one of the better counter attacking innings I have seen for quite a while and Green has done nothing that would be remotely comparative. My criticisms come from being underwhelmed for years and I can't help think of how many players have been discarded after very frugal opportunities.

If we're looking at comparisons so far, he might one day be comparable to Watson (Watto's runs aren't bad considering he was also an opener). As far as impact on matches goes a good comparison would be (spinning all rounder) Marcus North. Although North was more mature but still, after a similar amount of matches he is nowhere near North in this regard. But unfortunately North wasn't really all that good (could have made a good Captain though).

Though I thank you for a reasoned response and acknowledge that no, he's not Jaque Kallis.

Though I have heard recently that Stokes is a reasonable comparison to Green (Stokes not as good). There was also that one poster who conveyed his thoughts rather artistically (some quality posters here for sure).

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The fact Stokes has proven to be a freakish match winner (especially with the bat, but can be exceptional with the ball) with 13 centuries and 29 fifties through 95 matches over a decade...and who can seem unstoppable when on a roll and snatch victory or turn a series on it's head from anywhere, nothing to do with it. 36.5 with bat...32 with the ball through 95 matches over a decade just something the poor poms will have to put up with, what are they thinking...?
"After a decade" is the key though. After two and a half years Stokes had done... honestly very little. There was that innings in Perth, a wallop against SA and that was about it, the bloke was averaging either side of 30 with the bat. England were simply patient with him, backed in his obvious talent, and have reaped the rewards since then. No player, but especially no allrounder, comes into Test cricket the finished product; patience is a virtue at times. Marsh deserves to play the next game and on that basis Green has a tough time getting squeezed back into the side but long-term Green is simply a much better cricketer; MMarsh really was picked on potential alone whereas Green had actually performed at the lower levels. If there was some other batsman aged 25yo or under battering the door down in the Shield then absolutely get him in instead but there just isn't. Selection is ultimately about choosing between what's on offer and if our answers are "Harris or Renshaw" then we've probably asked the wrong question.

Last edited:

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
**** Moeen is such a hack. Plays like a poor third grade no-rounder 90% of the time. Then plays a million dollar cover drive, and steals the odd wicket. And keeps getting another game. As a neutral fan for some reason I feel triggered.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
**** Moeen is such a hack. Plays like a poor third grade no-rounder 90% of the time. Then plays a million dollar cover drive, and steals the odd wicket. And keeps getting another game. As a neutral fan for some reason I feel triggered.
I just wish he’d make his mind up once and for all if he actually wants to play for England. Are we supposed to be grateful after he’s been out of the team for a while, that he wants to come back?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just wish he’d make his mind up once and for all if he actually wants to play for England. Are we supposed to be grateful after he’s been out of the team for a while, that he wants to come back?
He seemed perfectly content not playing but was asked by the captain and coach to reconsider due to an injury, so yeah probably. Or at the very least, they should be grateful.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
He seemed perfectly content not playing but was asked by the captain and coach to reconsider due to an injury, so yeah probably. Or at the very least, they should be grateful.
Sorry, missed the bit where he was asked to return.My post was based on something I read that gave the impression he was picking and choosing. Apologies!

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
I'm grateful. He's doing a job with the ball with Leach out and that was a very handy 50 today. He can retire after the series if he wants, I'm not the least bit bothered.