• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's just such a strange mistake for an umpire to make. You accept making errors on whether it's going too high or sneaking down leg or whatever because that's a judgement call but that's clearly, visibly hit him well outside the line. How does that happen?
Maybe he's not positioned himself properly to be in line with middle stump so balls that clearly hit outside might seem to be hitting in line to him. I remember Ashocker de silva doing this in a WI vs Aus test once where he gave two lbws in a row to balls that pitched a foot outside leg stump.

TheJediBrah

Maybe he's not positioned himself properly to be in line with middle stump so balls that clearly hit outside might seem to be hitting in line to him. I remember Ashocker de silva doing this in a WI vs Aus test once where he gave two lbws in a row to balls that pitched a foot outside leg stump.
That would be so much worse than just having terrible judgement lol

"it's ok the umpire just got it wrong because he didn't know where to stand, no big deal"

Burgey

I think England has found a good one in Josh Tongue. Action is all his own but good seam position and gets it through and has decent control too. I’m not sold on his trajectory for out here as a real wicket taker because it favours taller guys with bounce here more often than not, but he’d still do a job. Looks a good find.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
I think England has found a good one in Josh Tongue. Action is all his own but good seam position and gets it through and has decent control too. I’m not sold on his trajectory for out here as a real wicket taker because it favours taller guys with bounce here more often than not, but he’d still do a job. Looks a good find.
Oh yeah some good that is when we are so far behind this game and rest are trundlers. Be glad when this is over and we deservedly go 2-0 down for such stupid batting decisions

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I criticized his initial selection but he's been fantastic so far. England have a knack for pulling one or two quality seamers out of absolutely nowhere every summer. If only they could keep them fit.....

Burgey

Oh yeah some good that is when we are so far behind this game and rest are trundlers
Given Wood hasn’t been ready and Archer is basically a non-starter for forever now, he’s stepped up really well. Asks a fair few questions and challenges both edges. And not yet infused with England team ****ishness. Gotta say I’m a fan

Uppercut

I criticized his initial selection but he's been fantastic so far. England have a knack for pulling one or two quality seamers out of absolutely nowhere every summer. If only they could keep them fit.....
Yeah they can always find a decent third or fourth seamer. It's one of the reasons I'm so puzzled by Wood at home still being a thing. But it'll be interesting to see if they can pull a whole new attack together when Broad and Anderson retire.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah they can always find a decent third or fourth seamer. It's one of the reasons I'm so puzzled by Wood at home still being a thing. But it'll be interesting to see if they can pull a whole new attack together when Broad and Anderson retire.
There's a million guys like sam cook and jamie porter who can do a broad/anderson light job in county cricket right now. I'm not that worried about it. Think losing those two will be good, playing them plus robinson in the same team when stokes is bowling <80 mile an hour on one knee doesn't work.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
There's a million guys like sam cook and jamie porter who can do a broad/anderson light job in county cricket right now. I'm not that worried about it. Think losing those two will be good, playing them plus robinson in the same team when stokes is bowling >80 mile an hour on one knee doesn't work.
They have like 1300 Test wickets between them. You're not "replacing" that any time soon. People chronically underrate just how difficult it is to replace that sort of experience.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This must be painful viewing for the England fans out here. Maybe some disagree with my view that Australia were spooked by Bazball in the first game, but right now, I think England have been spooked by Australia's come from behind win there and they seem to be playing with a very cluttered mind, which I thought was the one thing Bazball was gonna avoid.

TheJediBrah

There's a million guys like sam cook and jamie porter who can do a broad/anderson light job in county cricket right now. I'm not that worried about it. Think losing those two will be good, playing them plus robinson in the same team when stokes is bowling >80 mile an hour on one knee doesn't work.
Agreed.

ftr I think you keep mixing up your > & < signs

Uppercut

I mean if they're done they're done. But they've been single-handedly ending series in a couple of sessions every summer for over a decade. It's not so easy to replace that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
They have like 1300 Test wickets between them. You're not "replacing" that any time soon. People chronically underrate just how difficult it is to replace that sort of experience.
The experience is definitely hard to replace and playing away from home is gonna be hard without those two keeping it at >2.5 an over consistently at one end, but I don't think it's gonna hurt them too much at home purely on a bowling front. Woakes is a fantastic bowler in english conditions, him and robinson + a tongue/potts/archer/wood as the third seamer and leach as the spinner is fine for england conditions.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
This must be painful viewing for the England fans out here. Maybe some disagree with my view that Australia were spooked by Bazball in the first game, but right now, I think England have been spooked by Australia's come from behind win there and they seem to be playing with a very cluttered mind, which I thought was the one thing Bazball was gonna avoid.
Haven't watched a ball since we got out