• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I tend to agree with this somewhat. I mean sure he is a good player and opener..but does he get a game ahead of the likes of Mark Taylor and Michael Slater (1990s) and then a game ahead of Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden (early to mid 2000s)?? Then add the type of bowlers those 4 openers had to bat against...especially in the 1990s with Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, Vaas, Murali, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Kumble...

All hyperthetical ad I said in my previous post. Anyway good to see Khawaja doing well for sure.
Your just assuming that Langer goes from #3 to opening in this timeline. If ussie is making shield runs he may take that slot instead tbf.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A bigger mystery is why he was discarded in Odis as he’s got a really good record (not that I can remember a single knock he played)
Couldn't really play anywhere other than opener there and Warner/Finch was an established combination for years.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
A bigger mystery is why he was discarded in Odis as he’s got a really good record (not that I can remember a single knock he played)
Warner+finch is our greatest LOI opening partnership ever, Smith averages 55 at 3 and uzzie is only really capable of making odi runs in the top 3. We tried rotating him and Smith around the 3-4 slots at the 2019 WC and it just didn't work.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh, he got caught up in the Warner return in 2019 and they didn't really fancy him as a middle order option, not too mysterious, but bit unlucky

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching carey bat is gonna take years off my life. Swear he tries to get himself out with the stupidest shot possible/run himself out every few balls.

Spark

Global Moderator
Definitely but he is looking better due to the incompetence of Warner

imo I don’t think he would have played a test if he was around in 1990 to 2005

he is a decent player but not at elite level of previous openers
Bloke has 4000 Test runs at an average of nearly 50, much of which has come in a bowler friendly era. The disrespect here is bizarre

CartyDurham

International Captain
Bloke has 4000 Test runs at an average of nearly 50, much of which has come in a bowler friendly era. The disrespect here is bizarre
I’m not disrespecting him mind

I’m offering an opinion that players from 1990 to 2005 were better.

I think his innings today is truly outstanding in comparison to the other Aussie batsmen

That’s not disrespect

slowfinger

International Debutant
Australia "what are you doing WTC champs completely ****ting the bed" 130 runs behind with 5 wickets in hand against England "Bazzball electrifying, people screaming, top of the range" in the 1st innings

Gonna be a long Ashes I think for England