• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm gonna be honest, looking back in hindsight ussie really was hard done by in that 2019 ashes. He was pretty poor that series in the games he got and had struggled between the series opening in PAK and that ashes bar a down hill ton vs sri lanka at home, but he still did way better than harris, warner and bancroft in that series. Averaged 20 and made 120 runs. Probably should have been opening with warner by the end of the series.
It's too late in the night for me to drone on about this but it's not hindsight, it was stupid and idiotic and I was the only one who said it at the time and it's the most correct I've ever been about anything and honestly it's a miracle I'm not more insufferable about it and I'm pretty insufferable about it as it is

CartyDurham

International Captain
The numbers don't lie. He averages 10 more than any other Australian opener. He's basically the Bradman of Australian openers. Or maybe Bradman is the Usman of #3's.
I agree numbers don’t lie but opinions can differ

I don’t think khawaja would have played a test match if he was playing between 1990 and 2005

he’s doing well today though , otherwise England would have been batting now

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It's too late in the night for me to drone on about this but it's not hindsight, it was stupid and idiotic and I was the only one who said it at the time and it's the most correct I've ever been about anything and honestly it's a miracle I'm not more insufferable about it and I'm pretty insufferable about it as it is
Yeah your defs right. I've defended the call in the past but It was really stupid given who the other options where. All's well that ends well, though. Uzzie went back to the shield, found form and here we are now.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Would of been intr
Really no way to compare him to someone like Ponsford or Woodfull though he will surely be about par or ahead of Morris and Lawry by the time he retires, ahead of Langer and Warner but behind Simpson and Hayden imo.
Would of been interesting to see Khawaja bat against the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, Vaas, Kumble, Murali. Collectively these bowlers were very very strong.

It's hyperthetical I know.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Well yeah Usman would have been 4 years old in 1990 it would have been crazy to pick him, no matter how boring Geoff Marsh was
Lol. You do realise I meant as he is now if he’d have been available in those days and not 4 years old surely ?

he wouldn’t have got a cap in that era

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely but he is looking better due to the incompetence of Warner

imo I don’t think he would have played a test if he was around in 1990 to 2005

he is a decent player but not at elite level of previous openers
He's got 2000+ runs opening at 70 in a hard battibg period, has dominated in aus, pak, India, done well in SL nd now looks like he's gonna dominate a series in England. A good series in SA would be nice but he's done just about everything else you can ask an opener to do.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol. You do realise I meant as he is now if he’d have been available in those days and not 4 years old surely ?

he wouldn’t have got a cap in that era
Oh I thought I was replying to someone I didn't like and then realised I wasn't so I deleted my dumb joke

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Definitely but he is looking better due to the incompetence of Warner

imo I don’t think he would have played a test if he was around in 1990 to 2005

he is a decent player but not at elite level of previous openers
I tend to agree with this somewhat. I mean sure he is a good player and opener..but does he get a game ahead of the likes of Mark Taylor and Michael Slater (1990s) and then a game ahead of Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden (early to mid 2000s)?? Then add the type of bowlers those 4 openers had to bat against...especially in the 1990s with Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, Vaas, Murali, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Kumble which again highlights how tough and good that era was for world class bowlers collectively....not sure we see it now in my opinion.

All hyperthetical and I said in my previous post. Anyway good to see Khawaja doing well for sure.

CartyDurham

International Captain
He's got 2000+ runs opening at 70 in a hard battibg period, has dominated in aus, pak, India, done well in SL nd now looks like he's gonna dominate a series in England. A good series in SA would be nice but he's done just about everything else you can ask an opener to do.
We are only in the first innings here mind.

it’s just opinion that’s all. I think he is looking decent today but let’s see after day 5 of test 5 before elevating him to the gods

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bigger mystery is why he was discarded in Odis as he’s got a really good record (not that I can remember a single knock he played)