• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh it will be because us English aren't that good at fighting - I presume that's what your implying.

I mean we never have any good boxers or never do well in martial arts at world level.

The Aussies on the other hand - well there's too many world champions in the ring to mention ?
I wasn't talking about fighting. That was someone else.

And you guys are great at fighting. I saw it with my own eyes on any given Friday and Saturday night (or any other night) when the effects of a couple of lagers kick in.

Son Of Coco

What about rust where these haven't played a game in any format since at least March:

England
Nil

Australia
khawaja
Head
Carey
Inglis
Cummins
Starc
Boland
Lyon
Murphy
Jimmy said himself that when England play at their best, noone can beat them, so noone seems like the perfect opponent in the lead up if you ask me.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is going to sound unbelievably trite but isn't the whole point of, you know, tactical pre-planning about ensuring the opposition can't play at their best?

It's like a batsmen claiming that if the bowlers only bowl leg stump at him then he's the greatest batsman ever seen. Well no ****, don't bowl it there then.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

And you guys are great at fighting. I saw it with my own eyes on any given Friday and Saturday night (or any other night) when the effects of a couple of lagers kick in.
You know you really are such a fkn knob (had all other words in mind but all affected by filter) the only like for like comparison I can use here is watching cricket at the MCG, Adelaide oval and the GABBA.......drunk Aussies getting turfed out by the dozen after lunch. At every venue without exception.

I mean maybe you chose to drink in some ****ed up dodgy locations whilst in the UK.....they do exist. But get some better travel advice next time you muppet.

Molehill

International Captain
You know you really are such a fkn knob (had all other words in mind but all affected by filter) the only like for like comparison I can use here is watching cricket at the MCG, Adelaide oval and the GABBA.......drunk Aussies getting turfed out by the dozen after lunch. At every venue without exception.

I mean maybe you chose to drink in some ****ed up dodgy locations whilst in the UK.....they do exist. But get some better travel advice next time you muppet.
Was kind of thinking the same. I lived in W London for a decade, which is basically where half of Australia/NZ/SA seems to end up in their 20's, and basically never saw any trouble on a Friday night. Why was he not with all the other Aussies?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I know it was someone else talking about fighting - I never said it was you.

And of course in Australia there's never any fighting when people get tanked up as all Aussies are such law abiding paragons of virtue.

You see that the difference between us - I don't pretend the people over here are any better or worse than those down under. There's good and bad everywhere.

But some of the Aussies on here - Christ on a bike, every Aussie who has ever lived is seen as superior in every way to anyone else.

Makes no sense to me then that every town and city over here is full of Aussies - must all be carrying out humanitarian work.

Son Of Coco

Sounds like you need some better travel advice.

Son Of Coco

I know it was someone else talking about fighting - I never said it was you.

And of course in Australia there's never any fighting when people get tanked up as all Aussies are such law abiding paragons of virtue.

You see that the difference between us - I don't pretend the people over here are any better or worse than those down under. There's good and bad everywhere.

But some of the Aussies on here - Christ on a bike, every Aussie who has ever lived is seen as superior in every way to anyone else.

Makes no sense to me then that every town and city over here is full of Aussies - must all be carrying out humanitarian work.
I think you are mistaking pre-Ashes chat for people's genuine thoughts. I am well aware there are a lot of the same issues here, despite the fact we are strappingly good-looking physical specimens with an inherently sunny disposition and a love for helping other living beings and sharing our unique culture.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy said himself that when England play at their best, noone can beat them
Pity for them they aren't playing nobody

Bad enough being born in such a place. Imagine choosing to move there…. ?

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Scan gives the all clear for Robinson and he will join up with the England squad for the Ireland Test. However, seems unlikely either he or Anderson will play in it. Sounds as though likely seamers are Woakes, Broad, Potts.....which would be one of the strongest tails we've put out in a while.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Scan gives the all clear for Robinson and he will join up with the England squad for the Ireland Test. However, seems unlikely either he or Anderson will play in it. Sounds as though likely seamers are Woakes, Broad, Potts.....which would be one of the strongest tails we've put out in a while.
Especially given Leach's batting record vs Ireland...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Really positive news about Robinson, he's a key player for us.

The bowling was becoming a touch concerning, injury wise. Archer is out, Anderson has a niggle and some of our back up bowlers, Stone and Overton have problems.

I think Woakes could be a key player for us. His home record is excellent but he also really strengthens the batting significantly.

Our tail of Robinson, Broad, Leach and Jimmy is too long, so Woakes for say Broad would be a big boost.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You see that the difference between us - I don't pretend the people over here are any better or worse than those down under.
They are worse though
So they should, false modesty is overrated

Qlder

International Debutant
I just read Ollie Pope is official vice-captain to Stokes. Since when have England been naming a vc? I don't remember ever seeing a formal vc for an Ashes series? (unlike Australia who always have vc)

Also with a Test batting average of 32 does he have lowest average for a batting vc ever?

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
I just read Ollie Pope is official vice-captain to Stokes. Since when have England been naming a vc? I don't remember ever seeing a formal vc for an Ashes series? (unlike Australia who always have vc)

Also with a Test batting average of 32 does he have lowest average for a batting vc ever?
Don't think it's anything new, Tresco was the Vice to Vaughan for example. Pope has been VC for the last year too. As for his average, he's not quite worked out Bazball yet like others have. He's turned into this skittish kid on too many sweets for the first part of his innings and is getting out cheaply, often walking down the wicket. If they can get him to calm down for his first 20 balls then he undoubtedly has the talent to score big runs.

He's probably also not helped by being a Number 5 who has been moved to 3 and then has to come out as soon as Crawley departs.