• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think it's anything new, Tresco was the Vice to Vaughan for example. Pope has been VC for the last year too. As for his average, he's not quite worked out Bazball yet like others have. He's turned into this skittish kid on too many sweets for the first part of his innings and is getting out cheaply, often walking down the wicket. If they can get him to calm down for his first 20 balls then he undoubtedly has the talent to score big runs.

He's probably also not helped by being a Number 5 who has been moved to 3 and then has to come out as soon as Crawley departs.
He's done better at 3 than he has at any point in his test career bar that one series in SA, averaging 40 there or something around that.

On the topic of vc batting averages, head was the VC during the 2019 Ashes before he figured out test cricket and got dropped in the 5th test, maybe he averages less than 32? Mitch Marsh had the Aussie test VC for a bit and was averaging >30.

Molehill

International Captain
Seems strange to announce it 16 May then if in place for a year?
I think it was more a confirmation that he was doing it for this series. But unless I'm going mad, he was Vice last Summer too. He may have not been in Pakistan when he ended up keeping wicket, not sure.

Qlder

International Debutant
On the topic of vc batting averages, head was the VC during the 2019 Ashes before he figured out test cricket and got dropped in the 5th test, maybe he averages less than 32? Mitch Marsh had the Aussie test VC for a bit and was averaging >30.
That was during the temporary insanity period where Australia named multiple vice-captains of Marsh, Head, Carey and Hazelwood...it thankfully was done with shortly after

It was tragic that Paine was captain as WK so they started to name a batting and bowling group vice captain so each area was represented. Madness

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
That was during the temporary insanity period where Australia named multiple vice-captains of Marsh, Head, Carey and Hazelwood...it thankfully was done with shortly after

It was tragic that Paine was captain as WK so they started to name a batting and bowling group vice captain so each area was represented. Madness
The handelling of things in that era still pisses me off, NGL. Don't even get me started about the whole moral sharade they put on after sandpaper gate while their new captain had a ***ting scandal going on behind the scenes that CA just conveniently swept under the rug while knowing about it. I have no issue with the whole texting thing around paine, just wish CA had been more consistent. If your gonna draw a line in the sand around morally questionable acts from captains then stick too it.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think we're announcing our VC on a series by series basis, which we've done in the past.

I think Pope's appointment as VC shows how highly he is rated by the England management team. Let's face it, its largely a ceremonial post, covering for Stokes if he's off the field for a while.

But if Stokes was injured long term, presumably Pope would lead the side.

They could have easily given it to Jimmy, Broad or even Root but presumably Pope must be pretty highly rated.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just read Ollie Pope is official vice-captain to Stokes. Since when have England been naming a vc? I don't remember ever seeing a formal vc for an Ashes series? (unlike Australia who always have vc)

Also with a Test batting average of 32 does he have lowest average for a batting vc ever?
Andrew Hilditch was VC to TOTAB, as was Geoff Marsh. Both had pretty ordinary averages

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

51. Couple of bad misses.

begs the question who has the most england caps without an ashes test?
Grace
Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
…………
…………
…………
Root
Stokes
Broad
………….
………….
That’s one long list…

Last edited:

Qlder

International Debutant
So now we have one "England Player Watch" thread and four threads of individual aussies who are not likely to play in the Ashes....

Can I open a Alex Carey thread just so he can also be excuded for Inglis ?

Molehill

International Captain
So now we have one "England Player Watch" thread and four threads of individual aussies who are not likely to play in the Ashes....

Can I open a Alex Carey thread just so he can also be excuded for Inglis ?
But Inglis has already excluded himself for now to watch his Missus give birth. Suggest you start a Jimmy Pierson thread instead....

Qlder

International Debutant
But Inglis has already excluded himself for now to watch his Missus give birth. Suggest you start a Jimmy Pierson thread instead....
Being from Qld, this is the most stupid selection I've ever heard. Handscomb is already keeping in County averaging over 50 with bat. Easy cover for Carey while Inglis on baby watch