• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I was intrigued by the differentiation of continent and island a couple of pages back. Australia is the smallest continent and comprises numerous islands

The continent includes mainland Australia, Tasmania, the island of New Guinea (Papua New Guinea and Western New Guinea), the Aru Islands, the Ashmore and Cartier Islands, most of the Coral Sea Islands, and some other nearby islands. Situated in the geographical region of Oceania, Australia is the smallest of the seven traditional continents.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)

I note New Zealand is included as part of Oceania (rather than continental Australia) yet Australia is described as being included in Oceania.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Do you purposely want England to lose? Much better choice:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Root
Botham
Knott+
Trueman
Underwood
Anderson
Barnes

Flintoff and Pietersen should be no where close to an England AT XI.
I forgot about Trueman but your choice has weak batting lineup. It looks like you always have something negative to say about my selection and your friends come immediately to support your view. The All Time XI you choose has only 5 proper batsmen and if they play against a strong bowling side they will crumble. I went for Pietersen as he is more of an attacking batsmen compared to Barrington a stonewaller and Flintoff as no8 batsmen can be useful as England don't have a Wicket keeper batsmen like Gilchrist.

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
I forgot about Trueman but your choice has weak batting lineup. It looks like you always have something negative to say about my selection and your friends come immediately to support your view. The All Time XI you choose has only 5 proper batsmen and if they play against a strong bowling side they will crumble. I went for Pietersen as he is more of an attacking batsmen compared to Barrington a stonewaller and Flintoff as no8 batsmen can be useful as England don't have a Wicket keeper batsmen like Gilchrist.
Thats like picking Sehwag over Hutton because he’s more aggressive.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Root/Botham
Knott+
Anderson
Underwood
Trueman
Barnes

If you’re really attached to #batdeep and think Botham can handle it go with Root/Botham/Knott/Underwood/Trueman/Barnes

You have Trueman and Barnes opening the bowling, Botham at first change, Underwood spinning and Hammond/Root as decent support.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Thats like picking Sehwag over Hutton because he’s more aggressive.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Root/Botham
Knott+
Anderson
Underwood
Trueman
Barnes

If you’re really attached to #batdeep and think Botham can handle it go with Root/Botham/Knott/Underwood/Trueman/Barnes

You have Trueman and Barnes opening the bowling, Botham at first change, Underwood spinning and Hammond/Root as decent support.
I would choose Pietersen as he was a good No4 player in the 2000s and will not go for extremely defensive players like Barrington or Boycott. Pietersen also has the experience of playing Warne and Murali. Pietersen and Flintoff were able to defeat the Strongest Team in the World in 2005 So I believe in their abilities.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
I went with 2 Opening Batsmen, 3 Middle Order, Wicket Keeper, 2 All Rounders, Spinner and 2 Fast Bowlers. England has lot of balance in the side.

Coronis

International Coach
I would choose Pietersen as he was a good No4 player in the 2000s and will not go for extremely defensive players like Barrington or Boycott. Pietersen also has the experience of playing Warne and Murali. Pietersen and Flintoff were able to defeat the Strongest Team in the World in 2005 So I believe in their abilities.
So? Pietersen is clearly inferior to the other bats he’s competing with. Sure they helped win 05 but what are you getting? 05 Ashes Flintoff or rest of his career Flintoff?

Also something I feel doesn’t get brought up as much as maybe it should, the two tests England won were (shockingly) the two tests McGrath was missing. That Australian team was indeed one of the strongest in history but imo McGrath was their best and most important player.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So? Pietersen is clearly inferior to the other bats he’s competing with. Sure they helped win 05 but what are you getting? 05 Ashes Flintoff or rest of his career Flintoff?

Also something I feel doesn’t get brought up as much as maybe it should, the two tests England won were (shockingly) the two tests McGrath was missing. That Australian team was indeed one of the strongest in history but imo McGrath was their best and most important player.
England have dangerous pace duo of anderson and trueman who destroy all under clouds, suspicious spin of sly underwood, all-round greatness of botham and gilchrist destroyer flintoff. England have well paced attack and are well balanced side!

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Interesting you’d pick Pietersen rather than Barrington considering your username is basically a perfect description of Ken.
All Time England XI i have chosen has 8 Batsmen and 6 Bowlers what more you want ? But i just have a doubt why can't we include Tony Greig instead of Flintoff ?

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
England Bowling 90 Overs in a Day
1) Anderson - 17 Overs
2) Trueman - 17 Overs
3) Botham - 16 Overs
4) Underwood - 21 Overs
5) Flintoff - 14 Overs
6) Hammond - 5 Overs

bagapath

International Captain
Blocked certain posters for my peace of mind; so my apologies if i am repeating ideas that are already in the msgs hidden from my sight.

An ATG English Squad of 16

Openers: 3
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton
Herbert Sutcliffe

Middle Order: 4
Walter Hammond
Denis Compton
Joe Root
Ken Barrington

All rounders: 3
Sir Ian Botham