• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
if i were a cheating aussie i would present a baggy green and let the opposition plan for that player and pick their team accordingly, then i would play someone else
As long as that player gets to keep said baggy it's fair game imo

Jarquis

if i were a cheating aussie i would present a baggy green and let the opposition plan for that player and pick their team accordingly, then i would play someone else
Squad management 101.

'Hey mate, we're gonna pretend like we're giving you the biggest moment of career for the purposes of 'mind games'. Hope you don't mind.'

Spark

Global Moderator
In hindsight that Boxing Day Test has absolutely melted Australia for this series, at least so far. Starc and Green injuries ****ing up the balance of the side and then carrying a black hole at the top of the order on the back of one good innings.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In which case do you wanna close down the billion dollar industry then? Because in the last few years I don't recall any major (IPL hosting) city being consistently under 200 AQI not to mention AQI can literally change inside a km or two within the same locality.
I am not speaking to the business of it, purely the health. It puts you at a higher risk when you play strenuous outdoor sports with this AQI. These guys are young and professional athletes, so I am not saying anyone will be hospitalized or anything, but as I said, this is not healthy. Obviously, I feel much more for the typical residents of the city who may be forced to work outside all day in this weather - and do it day in and day out - especially those who are older and with medical conditions - than I do for the professional athletes. We know that people who live in cities with this air quality have significant morbidity and mortality, which is unfortunate and sad(1). However, the point still stands: I do not believe that this is a safe level of air quality to be playing sports (which is, after all, purely entertainment). I know that in the real world, nothing will happen, and neither side would ever even think of abandoning play, but that doesn't mean it is the right decision. Would high-profile cancelations do anything to spur changes that may improve air quality? Maybe. Probably not. But I am still saddened by it, mainly for the old, the sick, and the very young.

1. Air Pollution and Cigarette Equivalence (https://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am not speaking to the business of it, purely the health. It puts you at a higher risk when you play strenuous outdoor sports with this AQI. These guys are young and professional athletes, so I am not saying anyone will be hospitalized or anything, but as I said, this is not healthy. Obviously, this is a lot worse for the typical residents of the city who may be forced to work outside all day in this weather - and do it regularly - especially those who are older and with medical conditions - than I do for the professional athletes. We know that people who live in cities with this air quality have significant morbidity and mortality, which is unfortunate and sad(1). However, the point still stands: I do not believe that this is a safe level of air quality to be playing sports (which is, after all, purely entertainment). I know that in the real world, nothing will happen, and neither side would ever even think of abandoning play, but that doesn't mean it is the right decision. Would high-profile cancelations do anything to spur changes that may improve air quality? Maybe. Probably not. But I am still saddened by it, mainly for the old, the sick, and the very young.

1. Air Pollution and Cigarette Equivalence (https://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/)
Zip it, nerd.

Spark

Global Moderator
FWIW there were games that got cancelled two summers ago in Aus over air quality concerns (specifically bushfire smoke), but a lot easier to do that for one-off natural disasters than a persistent issue

duffer

The lad came out in the open saying he was tired after a long summer. If Australia were bold enough, they would've dropped him then and there.
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded Marcus Harris being in the XI this series either.

Burgey

its performative bull**** and a gimmick who cares
No it isn't. A test dayboo is as high a cricketing honour as a player gets. It's an enormously significant moment for any player. There's a lot of bull**** in cricket and sport in general, but marking a significant moment with a small ceremony among your team mates is surely not that.

R!TTER

State Regular
I am not speaking to the business of it, purely the health. It puts you at a higher risk when you play strenuous outdoor sports with this AQI. These guys are young and professional athletes, so I am not saying anyone will be hospitalized or anything, but as I said, this is not healthy. Obviously, I feel much more for the typical residents of the city who may be forced to work outside all day in this weather - and do it regularly - especially those who are older and with medical conditions - than I do for the professional athletes. We know that people who live in cities with this air quality have significant morbidity and mortality, which is unfortunate and sad(1). However, the point still stands: I do not believe that this is a safe level of air quality to be playing sports (which is, after all, purely entertainment). I know that in the real world, nothing will happen, and neither side would ever even think of abandoning play, but that doesn't mean it is the right decision. Would high-profile cancelations do anything to spur changes that may improve air quality? Maybe. Probably not. But I am still saddened by it, mainly for the old, the sick, and the very young.

It is unfortunate & in fact India probably has the most deaths worldwide due to air pollution - even higher than China. But it's also unavoidable in India till we get better regulations & even stricter enforcement wrt (air) pollution. Frankly I don't see that happening in my lifetime & I'm expecting/hoping another 5 decades of it, without the thick air of course.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I am not speaking to the business of it, purely the health. It puts you at a higher risk when you play strenuous outdoor sports with this AQI. These guys are young and professional athletes, so I am not saying anyone will be hospitalized or anything, but as I said, this is not healthy. Obviously, I feel much more for the typical residents of the city who may be forced to work outside all day in this weather - and do it day in and day out - especially those who are older and with medical conditions - than I do for the professional athletes. We know that people who live in cities with this air quality have significant morbidity and mortality, which is unfortunate and sad(1). However, the point still stands: I do not believe that this is a safe level of air quality to be playing sports (which is, after all, purely entertainment). I know that in the real world, nothing will happen, and neither side would ever even think of abandoning play, but that doesn't mean it is the right decision. Would high-profile cancelations do anything to spur changes that may improve air quality? Maybe. Probably not. But I am still saddened by it, mainly for the old, the sick, and the very young.

With so much of industrial activity going on in DELHI NCR area , it isn’t possible to lower AQI beyond a certain point .

Daemon

Not gonna defend the air quality - it’s legit awful and a shame the people of Delhi (and a fair few other cities) have to suffer because of it.

Was in Mumbai earlier this year and it was really bad.

Burgey

@JBMAC when you first played tests, was it still the era where you either went in to collect your cap and jumper from Jollimont Street or they just mailed it to you? That just seems so disproportionately low key for such a moment.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No it isn't. A test dayboo is as high a cricketing honour as a player gets. It's an enormously significant moment for any player. There's a lot of bull**** in cricket and sport in general, but marking a significant moment with a small ceremony among your team mates is surely not that.
josh hastings has a baggy green

whats the point anymore