• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ps get the **** out with Scott Kuggleijn in a Test squad. He's like Blair Tickner as a bowler if you bought him on Wish.
And that’s before considering his….off-field history.

England could score 700 against this attack.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Kyle Jamieson Ruled out
With Stress Fracture, he has been out of england series. Matt Henry also not available.

Duffy & kuggeleign will be included in nz team.

Duffy has been a part of couple of New Zealand's Test tours to England. He is also currently the second highest wicket-taker in the Plunket Shield with 22 wickets. On the other hand, Kuggeleijn has 274 first-class wickets at 32.52. The pace pair are set to arrive in Mount Maunganui on Tuesday ahead of the first Test of the series against England starting on February 16.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's up to him. He would play I'd think but NZC can't afford that. Soon rest will follow his example. Then we will end up like West Indies in no time.
I don't think they'd approach him, nah. I dunno whether NZC 'can't afford it', however. I think it would be a nice story - Boult looks good as someone who's prepared to come to the 'rescue', NZC get the kudos of a better attack. As the story stands, there's a guy sitting at home just down the road, pretty fresh off a bunch of meaningless T20 games, a guy who says he still wants to play for NZ...the story is less affordable as it stands, I reckon.

We already know that he's going to play the World Cup. We know he got preferential treatment for the Australian ODIs. There's really nothing PR-wise or further pushback wise to be lost if he plays this Test, then stays home. His next series is what, the IPL in late March, starting early April?

I'm not expecting NZC to approach him, but I think Boult could proactively say I'll play, I get to sleep in my own bed, my family can come along, I'm in because you're in need.

ataraxia

International Coach
Even accounting for Dacewell's injury, Kuggeleijn is the 4th-best option for this role imo. It's a total **** **** idiot decision that he's been preferred to Shipley, N Smith, or even Solia.

Anyway, given it looks like Steady was considering two spinners earlier rather seriously, I imagine we're looking at Macewell–Sodhi–Southee–Wagner–Tickner. That isn't the worst...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah...I know Sears is injured, as is Fisher, and maybe so is Bracewell, but I'd be picking Shipley or N.Smith well before him. Kuggeleijn averaged 15 with the bat and 50 with the ball in last year's Shield, and 22 bat/64 ball this season. In what world is that worth a look?

He'll carry drinks but it is such a woeful selection, whether airports are open or not.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Smith hasn't bowled a ball of FC cricket this season, not surprised he isn't getting a look in, even if his form last year was pretty compelling, and I'd like to see him given a run in the SL test series.

My guess is Wagner and Southee will be opening the bowling and they're casting around for good first change options. Duffy - tall, and Kugz - quicker than your average trundler were identified as the best bets.

nzfan

Our bowling is going to be so crap when Southee goes
It'll be a leaderless team. Leaders are built on experience, wins, losses, adaptability, overseas experiences etc. If Gary and Larsen continue any longer we'll be left with mostly journeymen with the ability to give 1-2 years of cricket max. They'll be apprentice when they hang their boots. What are the chances of being leaders in the group. Southee will be a massive loss and he isn't getting younger.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah...I know Sears is injured, as is Fisher, and maybe so is Bracewell, but I'd be picking Shipley or N.Smith well before him. Kuggeleijn averaged 15 with the bat and 50 with the ball in last year's Shield, and 22 bat/64 ball this season. In what world is that worth a look?

He'll carry drinks but it is such a woeful selection, whether airports are open or not.
Those are pretty small sample sizes tbf there Steve, three games this year and only four last season. Like I said he isn’t the player he was in his mid to late 20’s but he’s definitely better than those numbers.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It'll be a leaderless team. Leaders are built on experience, wins, losses, adaptability, overseas experiences etc. If Gary and Larsen continue any longer we'll be left with mostly journeymen with the ability to give 1-2 years of cricket max. They'll be apprentice when they hang their boots. What are the chances of being leaders in the group. Southee will be a massive loss and he isn't getting younger.
All eggs were put in the Jamieson basket and if his back is ****ed then we are going to have to rebuild from a situation similar to when Southee and Boult started their NZ careers.

nzfan

Even accounting for Dacewell's injury, Kuggeleijn is the 4th-best option for this role imo. It's a total **** **** idiot decision that he's been preferred to Shipley, N Smith, or even Solia.

Anyway, given it looks like Steady was considering two spinners earlier rather seriously, I imagine we're looking at Macewell–Sodhi–Southee–Wagner–Tickner. That isn't the worst...
Sodhi and Bracewell on this deck? No thanks, I'd take anyone that can bowl over 100k

1676333323265.png

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Those are pretty small sample sizes tbf there Steve, three games this year and only four last season. Like I said he isn’t the player he was in his mid to late 20’s but he’s definitely better than those numbers.
They are, but it also speaks to the fact he hasn't been playing four day cricket. If he's better than those numbers, you'd expect him to be performing better than those numbers. But he isn't. We're going back to the bad old days of the 00s and early 10s, picking guys who we already know aren't international quality because *who else*.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know how pitch preparation goes, and it looks like it's going to get some sun over the next 48 hours...but surely there's a school of thought that we pick our best seamer bowlers, even if they're not quick, given the amount of moisture under the surface. Does Tickner hit the strings? Does Duffy?