• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a lot easier to fly out of Dunedin than get from CD (is Bracewell HB?)
I'm not sure flying out of Dunedin is the issue, more flying into Tauranga. Otherwise why not Smith from Wellington? Or Shipley from Christchurch? Or if they needed a 12th man, someone else from ND who could fill that gap?

I mean, Shipley's a better player than Duffy or Kuggeleijn and has been in the List A squad recently. I just don't get it.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure flying out of Dunedin is the issue, more flying into Tauranga. Otherwise why not Smith from Wellington? Or Shipley from Christchurch? Or if they needed a 12th man, someone else from ND who could fill that gap?

I mean, Shipley's a better player than Duffy or Kuggeleijn and has been in the List A squad recently. I just don't get it.
Duffy has 22 wickets at 21 and is averaging 28 with the bat in this season's PS.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Yeah surely it'll either be Southee/Wags/Tickner/Duffy or Southee/Wags/Tickner/Sodhi
Kuggs is a cover probably. Don't get this stuff that Duffy can fly but not Henry. I think nzc is being a bit secretive. They may have run Henry down with injury. You never trust these guys, they're not very transparent.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kuggs is a cover probably. Don't get this stuff that Duffy can fly but not Henry. I think nzc is being a bit secretive. They may have run Henry down with injury. You never trust these guys, they're not very transparent.
They won't make up the fact that Henry's wife is about to have a baby.

nzfan

Henry hasn't played a game since Karachi test. That explains it, he's had no bowling recently and rightly they are not considering him. Coming off injury, no match practice and likely will be on loads.

I guess it's starting to show the over reliance on ageing players and not having given enough opportunities to incumbents over the last few years to figure who fits the bill when things like this happen. Injuries are part and parcel of fast bowlers, we were lucky to have some very fit fast bowlers over the years but still should have done a better job with incumbents rather than press panic button now.

nzfan

We may probably get away though, the test match will be rained off. Not a bad result. By the time 2nd test comes around we will likely be fine.

nzfan

Likely starting line up will be

Latham
Conway
Kane
Mitchell
Nicholls
Blundell
Bracewell
Southee
Duffy
Wagner
Tickener

Looks all right still, would prefer Young over Nicholls but pretty sure they will play Nicholls

Howsie

International Captain
Kuggs isn’t the player he was 4-5 years ago, especially with the bat where he was averaging 50 plus with the bat two seasons in a row. But tbf to him he’s barely played much first class cricket the last few years so using his record against him during those seasons is hardly fair

But still, I’ve never really thought he’d make it as a test player, just doesn’t do enough with the ball. He’ll probably play here though with Jamieson and Henry out.

7. Bracewell
8. Kuggs
9. Southee
10. Wagner
11. Duffy

Tickner missing out to Kuggs because he can’t bat and Duffy with the new ball.

jcas0167

International Debutant
We may probably get away though, the test match will be rained off. Not a bad result. By the time 2nd test comes around we will likely be fine.
I would rather see us get thrashed than have a home test washed out, although I get your point in terms of potentially winning the series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, with the hardship this side is facing now, Boult should stand up and make himself available.

This side made him who he is. It allowed him to make the millions, to travel the world, to cut his contract this year and make more + be at home...and now he is home, there's a Test down the road, and he should play in it. He'll want to play the World Cup later this year, so maybe it's only fair that he stumps up for a week and plays when we're in desperate need.

Golden opportunity for a player to show his loyalty.

nzfan

I would rather see us get thrashed than have a home test washed out, although I get your point in terms of potentially winning the series.
Yup I believe our best chance is at Basin. Highly impossible for England to bazball on Basin deck with the spongy bounce that will be offered.

nzfan

To me, with the hardship this side is facing now, Boult should stand up and make himself available.

This side made him who he is. It allowed him to make the millions, to travel the world, to cut his contract this year and make more + be at home...and now he is home, there's a Test down the road, and he should play in it. He'll want to play the World Cup later this year, so maybe it's only fair that he stumps up for a week and plays when we're in desperate need.

Golden opportunity for a player to show his loyalty.
I don't think it's up to him. He would play I'd think but NZC can't afford that. Soon rest will follow his example. Then we will end up like West Indies in no time.